Yukon Quest Live Start

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Yukon Quest Live Start

Postby txbennett » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:36 am

Yukon Quest Facebook had lived coverage feed of the start. Check it out. This year has some glitches since it's a first time tryout. Next year they will have ironed out the glitches.
txbennett

Re: Yukon Quest Live Start

Postby tanglefoot » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:39 am

Hey gang!

Hope all are well. Will try and stop by but got some eye probs at the mo andnthe screen is hurting them a littel.

But will get in as much as i can :)

T
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby Eggs » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:42 am

The live feed works. Dropped out for a bit, but is up again:
360º, HD.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0uO-_HkeBs
Eggs

Postby fladogfan » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:46 am

Chat is also open.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby fladogfan » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:53 pm

Here is an address to a full screen version of the GPS.

http://trackleaders.com/yukonquest17f.php
fladogfan

Postby elsietee » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:33 pm

A few notes on the live video:

* There is a 360° view - see top left to scroll left and right
* It defaults to low resolution - adjust the settings (bottom right) for high res pic
* The camera crapped out around 57 minutes in, and they missed Dave Dalton and just caught the tail end of Brent leaving
* Towards the end of the feed, the infrared setting kicked in, causing the pic to turn b/w. :)

YQ did an excellent job jumping on the technical difficulties and we thank them for this feed.
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:36 pm

KUAC:

http://kuac.org/yukon-quest-coverage/
The 1,000-mile international sled dog race starts Saturday in Whitehorse and KUAC’s Molly Rettig will be reporting from the trail. Throughout the race, listen on weekday mornings at 7:45, 8:33 and 9:33 on 89.9 KUAC FM, KUAC HD, KUAC online and KUAC TV 9.5. Weekend Yukon Quest reports will air at 7:35 and 8:35 a.m.

Click here to listen:

http://fm.kuac.org/programs/yukon-quest
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby emwcee » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:49 pm

Sorry I missed it. I had something else going on this afternoon. Hope to chat and/or check in throughout the race.
emwcee

Postby fladogfan » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:52 pm

Looking forward to 'seeing' you em
fladogfan

Postby txbennett » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:05 pm

Here we go. Today is decision day!

Iditarod Trail Committee considers race restart move
By Dave Goldman 8:46 AM February 2, 2017

Here we go again. For the second time in three years, the famed Iditarod sled dog race to Nome could officially begin in Fairbanks.
In a press release sent out late-Wednesday afternoon, the Iditarod Trail Committee (ITC) outlined what could ail this year’s race — a lack of snow on a notoriously difficult stretch of trail.
While Anchorage, the home of the ceremonial start slated for March 4, and Willow, the traditional site of the restart, are expected to be fine in terms of snow cover, the problem is further down the trail toward Rainy Pass and the Dalzell Gorge, ITC said. That means leaving from Willow may pose a problem.
When lack of snow caused trail problems in 2015, the restart moved to Fairbanks. The only other time the race restart began in Fairbanks was in 2003.
The situation isn’t ideal, but the ITC doesn’t want a repeat of 2014 — when mushers and dogs trekked over dirt, rocks and ice with little snow in many spots. It became more than just an inconvenience, it was a hazard and one that mushers have no intention of experiencing again.
“No. Absolutely not,” said Rick Casillo, who’ll run his eighth Iditarod next month. “I don’t think anyone wants to relive 2014. You have to put the dogs first and mushers second in my opinion. But I think the Iditarod will do the right thing and they want to see us go over the safest trail possible.”
The most veteran musher on the trail in March will be Jim Lanier. At 76, he’ll run his 20th race. He completed his first 17 runs, then three years ago he arrived at the Dalzell Gorge.
“I ruptured an achilles tendon in that terrible stuff and had to scratch. I’m not eager to do that again,” he said.
Robert Sorlie, a now retired two-time race champion from Norway, said, following his trip through the Gorge in 2014, that he had never been so scared in his life.
ITC explained it will make a decision by Feb. 10.
In 2015, the ceremonial start was still held in Anchorage and the restart took place two days later in the Interior town. It was immediately unclear if a similar schedule would be held this year, should the ITC decide to make changes. In their release, the ITC decline to immediately provide any interviews or additional information.
“If we do go from Fairbanks, I’ll be ecstatic to see Huslia again,” said Casillo. “Because Huslia was absolutely amazing, the people there were amazing and they truly made the race.”
txbennett

Return to Mushing Talk