Yukon Quest Thread

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Yukon Quest Thread

Postby Moose » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:10 am

I just checked the tracker and see Hank DeBruin has scratched.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby mira » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:28 am

Oh no. He has been a bit behind most of the way, so not that surprised, but still, I don't like it.

Anyone been looking at Allen and Ed, they are together now. Last time I checked Allen was four miles in front.

(I'm on my phone, so haven't checked thoroughly)
mira

Postby mira » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:35 am

I found a thorough article regarding Hanks scratch. The conditions has been though, a dump of snow and being behind the field he has to break trail. With only 9 dogs left they felt the strain will be too big on the team.

It is a first for everything and it sounds like it was a good decision for his team. Good recovery!
mira

Postby fladogfan » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:50 am

Allen and Ed are both stopped in Central.
Hugh is about 9 miles out of Central moving 4.7mph
Matt is about a mile and a half the other side of 101.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby libby the lab » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:54 am

JB appears to be the front runner in our contest! GO MATT!
Cindy, Anna Banana and Link-de
RIP Libby and Hank

http://www.dockdogs.com
http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org
libby the lab

Postby mira » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:59 pm

Matt is soon finished with the last major climb.. Go Matt! This has been a nice run.. :)

Still.. 20 miles to go to two river.

Hugh arrived in 101 mile 30 minutes ago.

Allen has left Central, I think he stayed for like.. 40 minutes or so, Ed and Paige is still in Central. Paige just arrived I think..
mira

Postby tanglefoot » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:04 pm

I thinknif my maths is right, matt is 11-15 hours from the finish line
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby dilli » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:26 pm

We've got treats
dilli

Postby flowerpower » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:53 pm

From Brent, in case you're not on FB:
There's nothing easy about hitting that help button on the tracker. Turns out I know that feeling more than most.
We learned from our mistakes in previous races and set up a schedule that included more rest and shorter runs than any race we'd done in recent memory. Everything went as planned and we had banked tons of extra rest.
Traveling up that damned Birch Creek, one of my rookie dogs, 3 year old Healy fell over on his side in mid stride without any signs or warnings. After wrapping him in my sleeping bag and loading him up, I decided I wouldn't take my planned rest just up ahead, but instead would carry him straight to Central to get him to a vet. He was alert and stable.
Twenty minutes later, his brother Caputo did exactly the same thing. I stopped the team and decided to camp there. After three hours of monitoring the brothers and looking after the others, I decided to carry them to Central.
140 pounds of dog in the bag wasn't doing it. We'd have made it, but I wanted the brothers checked out sooner than I could get them there. I hit the button. The Quest interpreted the situation perfectly and I was so relieved to see Head Vet Nina Hansen appear on a snow machine with the head trail breaker, Mike Reitz. Nina checked the dogs over, confirmed they were stable, and then carried them back to the checkpoint.
I've always believed that if you hit the button, your race is over. The Quest Race Marshal felt that the hurried attention to the dogs warranted hitting the button and urged me to run the dogs to Central so they could consider other penalty options to possibly keep us in the race. I appreciate that they were willing to consider an option that could keep a team in the race, but I couldn't accept it. I was too shook up.
Everyone who follows my kennel knows that Healy and Caputo's father, a Golden Harness winner, died suddenly and unexpectedly not too long ago. I often carry Basin's collar on my sled, he's tattooed to my chest, and his name tag is sewn to the hood of my jacket. When I saw his boys crash like that, I feared the worst. I'm thankful that they're happy and healthy today! I don't know what to think about what looks like some sort of genetic issue and the future careers of these boys and their siblings. We have a lot to figure out and I've already been in touch with some very smart vet med folks to start that process.
Sorry to everyone that we didn't get to race this one to the finish. It was shaping up to be a true classic. Best of luck to everyone still on the trail.
Until next time, be Wild and Free.
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby fladogfan » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:29 pm

Thanks for posting that report from Brent, flowerpower. Always good to hear the story from the person it happened to. I hope the vets figure out what caused the boys to topple over like that.
My little Lacey did that this summer, but she was on her last legs with high blood pressure and probably heart problems too. Very scary for her/us but for that to happen to young, healthy dogs? :(

What a difference in the way the Quest handled the problem than what we've seen the ITC do to their mushers. :shock:
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk