"Take Me Out to the Dog Race"

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

"Take Me Out to the Dog Race"

Postby JLJ » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:10 am

In another forum, someone referred to an enthusiastic description of developments during the race as being Harry Caray style. I thought the comment was perceptive, listened very closely, and faintly and from far away heard:

“Take me out to the dog race
Take me out on the trail
Buy me a parka and mukluks too
And I could go for some nice hot moose stew
We'll root, root, root for those dog teams
Every great run is a win!
For it’s three, two, one and they’re off!
At the oooold doooog race!”

Perhaps some of you remember Harry, don't you think that it had to be him? ;)

Some suggested that perhaps we should all emulate Harry and sing our rally-the-fans song at appropriate intervals, so thought I'd share it here, as well.

(For those who don't remember Harry, he was a well known and mostly beloved sportscaster, best known as the voice of the Cardinals baseball games, then the White Sox, then the Cubs. One of his characteristic crowd rallying techniques was to lead the crowd in singing "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" -- particularly at seventh inning stretch time -- though it became something that has appeared in other sport-rallying situations, sung by various people. Popularizing its use as a rallying song was so associated with Harry that it was reportedly included in the music at his funeral.)
JLJ

Re: "Take Me Out to the Dog Race"

Postby Moose » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:29 pm

Great little ditty, JLJ. Sorry to report I'd never heard of Harry. Thanks to you, that's no longer the case. ;) I do hope we see some great songs and poems in the forum this year. There's a lot of talent and creativity here.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby MelanieGouldFanBrian » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:14 am

Good one JLJ. Harry was a White Sox icon long before he went to the dark side (Wrigley). Sitting in the bleachers at old Comiskey in the 70's when Harry, shirtless in white shorts, broadcast the game from there was awesome. The "Exotic" smells in the air! A shower to cool off! Real Hot Dogs! Am proud to say that I was able to buy Harry a beer before I was of legal age to have one myself. All gone now. Harry! The old ballpark! The shower! And affordable beer!
harry.jpg

harry2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MelanieGouldFanBrian on Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
You ought to be thankful, a whole heaping lot, for the places and people you're lucky you're not."
Dr. Seuss
MelanieGouldFanBrian

Postby fladogfan » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:13 am

I had heard of Harry but what's with the showers? Never heard about that.

But of course, I was a Senator fan.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby MelanieGouldFanBrian » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:02 am

A single shower head was set up so that people in the bleachers on a hot summer day could stand under it and pull a chain for a quick cascade of water to help cool off. Ahhh! Spent a lot of time in the bleachers. It was the place to be in the 70's. Right beneath the Mammoth exploding scoreboard~It was the best place to watch a game. Have had a couple PM's asking me about my reference to "Exotic" smells. It was the 1970's, think about it! ;)
shower.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You ought to be thankful, a whole heaping lot, for the places and people you're lucky you're not."
Dr. Seuss
MelanieGouldFanBrian

Postby fladogfan » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:20 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Return to Mushing Talk