2017 Fantasy Iditarod

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

2017 Fantasy Iditarod

Postby Karyn » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:07 pm

Anyone going to join the Fantasy Iditarod? http://www.fantasymushing.com

Will we have an Iditabuds League?

Hmmm. Maybe I need to change my "Durham_NC" login, since I'm mostly in AK. Currently visiting family in NC and Maine, but back to AK in April until October (Tutka Bay!)

Karyn
Karyn (Naturalist Guide in Tutka Bay, AK)
Karyn

Re: Fantasy Iditarod

Postby txbennett » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:16 pm

I got us set up in Fantasy Iditarod as the league "Iditabuds.com" the same league as prior years.

When you enter please join "our" league, and use your Iditabuds Forum ID so we will know who you are within our forum. We have typically been one of the larger leagues, and it's fun to see how each of us progresses (or regresses) during the race.

I have found this to add interest as we check in throughout the Last Great Race.

As I do, you can enter once for each separate email address you have using a different user name for each. I am in our league as both TXbennett and as Bennett.

TXbennett :D :D :D
txbennett

Postby Karyn » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:43 pm

I just went back and looked for the team you listed. I don't see it. Are we talking about two different fantasy games for the Iditarod? Am I missing something?

Did you go to fantasymushing.com? Or something else? Thanks!
Karyn
Karyn

Postby txbennett » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:31 pm

Durham -- I followed the link your provided (http://www.fantasymushing.com) and set up "iditabuds.com" as a "team" in the "league". Following that TSFR joined as a member, so it is in there somewhere.

Check out their facebook page, and remember to "Like" it to follow along: https://www.facebook.com/fantasymushing/
This is their posting on their facebook page:
"Website Upgrade: To improve the quality of our service we have made the the change to only display the top 20 fantasy teams on the Team page. Additionaly we've added a new page called Players. On this page you can see all players in your league. Additional features will be coming to this page soon. You can access this page from the menu bar or the View all Players button. If you do not immediately see this update try clearing your browser history. Thanks for playing!"

They will "only display the top 20 fantasy teams on the Team page" so we need for our forum members to join and sign up on our team to get us in the top 20!
txbennett

Postby StarDancer » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:04 pm

As for other sports (football, baseball, etc), I've never been interested in fantasy leagues.

But...a Fantasy Iditarod sounds kinda fun. Can I join? I have absolutely no experience in fantasy stuff!

StarDancer
StarDancer

Postby txbennett » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:08 am

It is fun -- and free. Just sign up and you're in the fantasy league. They give each player $27,000 in play money to "buy" exactly 7 sled-dog musher's teams. These sled-dog teams are priced individually (from $1,000 to $5,500) based on their musher's history, so to spend up to $27,000 on exactly 7 sled-dog teams you can "buy" 1 or 2 or 3 of the most popular sled-dog musher's teams, then some middle-of-the pack sled-dog musher's teams then some back of the pack sled-dog musher's teams.

Their formulas then award "points" for each sled-dog musher's team's performance as they proceed down the trail toward and into Nome. The more "points" your fantasy teams collectively earn the better you are doing. Sled-dog musher's teams that scratch only earn points up until they scratch, so they drag your fantasy team down. Part of their formula awards points for number of dogs into a check point, so sled-dog musher's teams that keep their dogs running get more points. etc. etc. etc., so pick sled-dog musher's teams that you believe manage and care for their dogs all the way to Nome. Then another part of their formula awards points for each sled-dog musher's team's position into check points, so the fantasy league teams are competing against other comparable fantasy league teams.

They then post results by individual (you) and by your fantasy league team's group "Iditarod.com" all along the trail, updated continuously through each check point. The red lantern sled-dog musher's team is still earning points after other sled-dog musher's teams have already finished.

The distinction between "musher's teams" (sled-dog teams) and "fantasy league teams" (iditabuds.com) is difficult to follow when they often refer to each just as a "team". You will be joining a fantasy league team and "buying" seven sled-dog teams with your fantasy dollars.

Just do it -- it adds a fun factor to follow the race with your forum friends.
txbennett

Postby Moose » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:50 pm

Stardancer, I didn't have a clue what to do the first year I played, yet I ended up in the top 10! What? Last year, I "thought" I knew what I was doing, but obviously did not as I didn't fare well at all. :o But it was fun and added immensely to the race. Go for it.

Thanks, TX, for setting us up as a unit--I'll say that as opposed to team--again!
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby Karyn » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:00 pm

I must have tried to find the Iditabuds team/league before it was active. I looked, but it wasn't in the list. Now it is! Yay! I've added my real name "karyn" to the team. Looking forward to figuring out my mushers!

Thanks
Karyn
Karyn

Postby txbennett » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:22 am

Fantasy Iditarod (the Seavey's fantasy league) is now http://www.FantasyMushing.com

You have until Friday, March 3rd (Alaska time) to sign up, join our forum's league "Iditabuds.com" and select your mushers.

Here are the rules for 2017 Iditarod:
Fantasy Mushing Rules
About
Get ready to follow your favorite mushers in a great new way! Whether you are a teacher, student, or mushing enthusiast we hope you find this a fun and interactive way to follow the race. If you enjoy this game visit our Facebook page and help spread the word.

League
A league is a group of players competing against each other. You may join an existing league or create a new one. Leagues which are featured (indicated by a star) and leagues having more players will appear closer to the top. You may also search for a league by its name or key. If you decide to create your own league you must choose if the league will be public or private. If making the league private be sure to provide your players with the key.
Building a Team
Choose mushers for your team from the Mushers page using the avalible $27,000 gold. Your team will be made up of 7 musher. You may make changes to your team unill the race has started (10:00 AM March 4, 2017). Any player having less than 7 mushers at the start of the race will be disqualified.
Team
There are three ways to view your team: List, Checkpoint, and Map. Click the view buttons to switch between these views.
Scoring
Your score is based on multiple stats from each musher in your team at each checkpoint

Stat
Method
Dogs In
2 pts. for each dog
Place
86 minus Musher Position
Run Time
86 minus Order of best run time
Additionaly you will get points for each mushers final position (850 for 1st, 840 for 2nd, and ect.) and 200 points for each award. Scores are subject to change when stats change. When all mushers have finished and all awards given the player with the highest score wins.
txbennett

Postby ThisSpaceForRent » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:53 am

Hey Tex...

Are results show for all participants (every league) as opposed to JUST the results of the particular league (iditabuddies) you play in?? Can you participate in more than one league??

as you know i have been following the race for a while now ;) yet i have never participated in "fantasy I'rod" or any other pool other than our own TTP (2008 champion...LOL other years :cry: )

I am crunching my numbers now....any hints or strategies that seem to prevail?

thanks,

tsfr
Peace,Love and SnowDogsGo...
ThisSpaceForRent

Next

Return to Mushing Talk