Video Transcription Service Up and Running.

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Video Transcription Service Up and Running.

Postby elsietee » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:25 am

Al Eischans:

Camped out beside the trail before Nenana -

Is it hard to get them to lay down when they're this energized?

Oh ya, but it's 1000 miles

We'll do the trek over to Manley in the dark. We'll stay a couple of hours, snack 'em, change some booties. Looking good - I'm pleased with them. Lots of yearlings - five yearlings this year. Training for next year.

Wade before Nenana:

It's a little warm out, so we're parking a little early, then we'll go blasting into Nenana - just taking a little short rest here. Get a good snack in them and then we'll go flying down the trail. It's pretty nice out - but sunny, so we'll let the sun go down a bit. We took off with coats because it was pretty cold this morning, so the heat slows them down and they lose hydration, so we don't want that.

Q: What d'you think about all the teams flying by you?

<laughs> I'm not worried about that... we'll see most of them again.

Richie in Nenana:

Q: How d'you feel?

Uh... pretty good... <looks confused> we're only 50 miles in <smiles>. Trail was up and down - soft and slow... temperatures felt great. Perfect for the dogs. Going to break these long runs up a bit, go a little shorter... see how it goes...

Hugh in Nenana:

Trail wasn't as bad as he thought it would be, a little punchy. Not as windy as it was last time. So many teams in ID for the first few days it's definitely nerve wracking - like being in downtown Chicago traffic, but you're in the woods instead. Very well organized check point...

Aliy in Nenana:

Good... 50 miles, ca=ching... quite a bit of snow out there, but a fantastic group of dogs who don't mind running in deep snow, so I guess I should be ecstatic. I don't mind the cold at all. I'm kind of an interior musher gal, so 30 below doesn't bother me that much, and so long as you keep the dogs fed and wrapped up, they'll do well at those temps... so long as you feed them enough.

Allen in Nenana:

A little slower than it was two years ago, that's all right. It makes the dogs go slower, so hopefully we won't get so many injuries that way. Everyone has to go through it. Temps are perfect right now.

Joar in Nenana:

Beautiful day, trail was a good mix of soft and good trail. Nice cold night to get to Manley. Got some good dog jackets, they'll be fine.

[you almost feel sorry for the interviewer trying to get anything out of Joar.... :) ]

Hans in Nenana:

Trail was faster than I expected it to be. It was soft, but not as bad as people made it sound like. Was nice this afternoon but you can already feel it cooling off. Probably going to be the coldest run [next] that we're going to have to deal with.

Laura Neese in Nenana:

I thought it was beautiful - coming from Michigan, this is a *fast* trail for us. I like it. It's perfect. Staying about five hours. Dogs looking great, having fun.

Q: What d'you think about the cold temps?

Dogs like it, so I like it.

Ray Redington:

Punchy.. not a hard fast trail.

Q: Are you adjusting anything? Changing anything?

My clothes... constantly... It must be spring, eh? It gets so hot during the day, but cold at night.

Michelle:

Trail much better than last time.... a little slower at times, but better than expected. Obviously that section's travelled more than others. Dogs happy to get out of the truck and go for a run. Nice for them to get out and get moving. It's great to have winter! Super bonus... lovely ... a little bit of a shocker when it's cold, but that's ok, it's good for the dogs. They eat better, perform better... winter animals so much nicer for them.

Ryan Anderson:

Everything's good, going good. Sounds like the trail will be soft until Ruby. Beautiful weather. Dogs looking good. Just a rookie, so just going to run dogs.

Jodi:

Trail is a lot nicer than the reports. Just let them roll along. I'm always this walking ball of anxiety leading up to the race and then I get out on the trail, about ten miles out, take a deep breath and everything falls into place. Goal is to keep them looking strong and happy.

Linwood:

Early, it's cold... going to have a toll on the dogs if we're not careful.

Q: Does it help that your dogs worked on the glacier?

It helps with the chaos of checkpoints because they get so they don't care. They're used to helicopters and people, so that's good.

Q: what are you looking forwards to?

It getting warmer. I think the fastest races are always when it's been warm.. they rest better, they're not shivering when they're laying down... they're not burning calories trying to sleep.

elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby ukmusher » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:33 am

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this, without the pictures it's an incredibly concise picture you have of each, which is so interesting and entices you to go and find out more about the person xxx
Rigrunner Siberians
Making Zero Progress
ukmusher

Postby Another UK Fan » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:58 am

elsietee thank you for this. It really helps.
Another UK Fan

Postby Moose » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:01 am

Thanks, Elsie! Very much appreciated! :D
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby Milehigh » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:34 am

Thank you for these posts.
The Joe Carson story was fantastic. Made me well up a little bit.
Very much appreciated.

Paul
Milehigh

Postby flowerpower » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:47 am

Buser in Manley:

Pleasant surprise. If you don't count 40 below. Pulled out snowshoes but there were pullouts to rest dogs. Trail is rock solid. Like a rondy trail. (looking for hand warmers in sled). At least it's not windy. The dogs were acting a fool in the checkpoint-not listening to me at all. Excited to be in checkpoint. Had a young dog-Beans and K2 brought the team in. Nice young dogs coming up through the ranks. (Interviewer-your dogs are always so animated. Is that a result of genetics?)Dogs are a mirror of driver-I try to be up and on my game if i can and then the dogs will mimic that. It's environmental and training rather than genetics.
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby mira » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:09 am

Thanks elsie! I have access but not time to see.

And yes, Joar isn't the easiest person to interview :D
mira

Postby elsietee » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:50 pm

flowerpower wrote:Buser in Manley:

....Pulled out snowshoes but there were pullouts to rest dogs.....

Which answers the question someone posed recently about whether or not mushers even *used* their snowshoes any more...
elsietee

Postby mira » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:53 pm

Yes, I thought about the same. Though, it does not sound like he actually used them, but I will guess they are used if they camp on trail and the snow is soft (actually, they have to use them in spots like that). Some mushers prefer checkpoints though.
mira

Postby elsietee » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:56 pm

Anna Berington mentioned being worried about soft snow next to the trail for camping and not being able to adequately anchor her dogs.
elsietee

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk