Video Transcription Service Up and Running.

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Video Transcription Service Up and Running.

Postby elsietee » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:04 pm

This is the last one for a while - I'm getting wrist cramps from typing, but I listened to this one this morning and thought it was interesting.

Jason Mackey in Tanana:

You wouldn't think it would be too hot, the ambient temperature isn't, but that sun beating down - it got hot.

I thought I was going slow - I was standing on my brake, keeping them working slow - but it was fast, I guess... 7.5 hours... that's pretty good. I didn't intend to do it that fast. But it's all good - the dogs are strong and look really good.

Q: how's this team looking compared to other teams you've had in the ID?

There's no comparison, I've said that all year. They're all veterans, they've all been either with Lance or with me. I've always had a decent team, but I've always had some old ones, some young ones... No... this team could win the race. It's fully capable - it's a winning team. Whether *I* can win the race or not... it's pretty hard to even fathom. I've never even been in the top-20, so it's pretty ballsy to say I could win the race. But the team is capable. They've got plenty of power, plenty of speed, they move together beautifully... This team is incredible - and the further you go, the stronger they get.

They're all eating. I've got one that's a little tired. She ate, but not like I'd like her to eat... [he still left Tanana with 16 dogs]

It seems like it's been a mad rush to get here. People started pulling out of Manley. I was parked between Johnny and Jeff, and Jeff starts getting ready to leave and I said 'you don't think it's going to get too hot?' and he said 'You're worried about it getting *hot*?' And it was - it was cooking. I could feel it through my sweater, but I booted and left anyway on three hours [rest] .. it's good... I don't care if it's 40 below or what, that sun... the breeze is what saved you - the breeze stopped completely for a couple of hours and I slowed them way down.

There was about 40 miles of that trail... not soft like no bottom to it, but soft like walking on the beach. It zapped them a little bit, I thought. Mitch caught us up and I followed him in here standing on my track with both feet. Moving! So I'm happy.

I am going to give them 8 hours here, though. I declared it, and didn't think I needed to take it, but I owe it to 'em. Might as well do it now... it's a long way to Nome... <laughs>... a long way.

elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby flowerpower » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:16 pm

Jason reminded me so much of Lance in that video. If I hadn't known, I would have thought it was Lance for a minute! :D
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby Heidi » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:39 pm

flowerpower wrote:Jason reminded me so much of Lance in that video. If I hadn't known, I would have thought it was Lance for a minute! :D

I thought the same thing! :shock: :D Actually I think it was a different video, but yes, he reminds me SO much of Lance.
Heidi

Postby fladogfan » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:53 am

flowerpower wrote:Jason reminded me so much of Lance in that video. If I hadn't known, I would have thought it was Lance for a minute! :D

Family! :D
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby elsietee » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:31 pm

This worked a little better for my wrists - listening to the videos this morning while driving to work (I commute 100 miles a day) - then I'd do voice notes on what was said.

That said, I really need to transcribe Jodi Bailey's interview word for word because it was pretty funny - she was heckling the interviewer.

Nic Petit - interviewed in Galena during the night:

Says that normally his dog start running faster when they're approaching the checkpoint, but this time they started running 14 mph about two hours into the run. He said they're phenomenal. They're eating about a gallon worth of a meal per dog. He's never had a dog team eat so good.

Mitch - interviewed in Galena during the night:

Said his dogs are a little hard to control because they have so much energy, but they are resting really well – it's like they don't want to leave the straw when you get them up, but then they get really energetic on the trail. He plans to 24 in Huslia and expects them to be a little tired by the time they get there.

Joar - interviewed in Galena during the night:

Says that he plans to 24 in Galena. The dogs were doing great - barking at each other going down the trail.

He said the trail was a lot better from Ruby to Galena then it was from Tanana to Ruby.

He has a spare sled in Galena, but not clear if he was going to switch to it, or if it was just there in case of emergency need.

On the River between Tanana and Ruby:

Everyone was reporting slow trail between Tanana and Ruby, and everybody seemed to be enjoying the sunshine by the side of the trail.

Nic Petit - camped on the river yesterday afternoon:

Q: what are you listening to?

Nothing - he's just got the alarm clock set up to go off. He said that Ray Redington put a bunch of music on there for him a few years back, but then they found out they couldn't use iPods, so he put it away. Now he can use it he pulled it out the closet, but he doesn't generally listen to music on the trail.

Rick Castillo - camped on the river yesterday afternoon:

The trail is really soft from Tanana to Ruby, so it was taking him a lot longer than he anticipated. So he ended up stopping short of how far he wanted to go – which means that his run from where he's camping to Ruby is going to be a longer one.

Asked how many IDs this was... he couldn't remember if it was 7 or 8. He's really tired and was rubbing his face, said that he's only had about 10 minutes sleep since the start of the race. Says that he takes lots of 15-20 second micro-naps as the dogs are going along, and that seems to really help. He said it would be another day or so before he goes any real sleep, but was planning to get an hour at this camp out.

Cody - camped on the river yesterday afternoon:

Asked about the highs and lows:

Says that his low point was getting cold the other night. He says he's "kind of a sweaty guy", and he got pretty cold on the way to Manley the other night, and couldn't feel his hands when he arrived so he ended up stopping there. He had intended to go straight through. [I seem to remember him having this problem on the Quest the year he ran out of dogs coming through the Chain of Lakes section, headed south towards Braeburn - he said he could still push the sled through the tougher parts, but that it was too cold for him to get sweaty like that, so he ended up scratching]

The highs of the race: right then – laying in his sled on the Yukon River.

He said he had 11 of Paige's dogs from the quest, so it was a pretty nice team, he didn't know where he was in the race, but it was early yet. He said the dogs just got a couple of weeks off after the Quest, where they were just doing short runs.

He said he chose his camp spot because he wanted to make sure the dogs would be in full sun all afternoon. He'd set off at 6 AM and knew the sun would be [voice recognition translated this as: new the sandwiches be] starting to get hot around noon, so he looked at his GPS and he'd gone 50 miles, which was just far enough, so he shut them down.

Interviewer asked why he didn't go little bit further around the corner where everybody else would be camped, and Cody said it just wasn't worth it. He said when they left in a couple of hours it will have cooled off a lot and they can do a nice long run from there.

Hugh - camped on the river yesterday afternoon:

Talking about how he was lucky enough to beat Allen Moore by 26 seconds in the Quest a few years back, and how Allen said it prompted him and Aliy to be more competitive and work harder – so Hugh said it was pretty neat that he was part of why Aliy was so great.

He talked about how all the dogs knew each other and that yesterday when Aliy passed him she greeted his lead dog by name – George Castanza (sp?).

He also talked about how the Iditarod is so much busier then the Quest - he could go a week on the Quest without seeing anybody, while yesterday he was being dive-bombed by a helicopter while his dogs were trying to sleep.

Ryan Redington - camped on the river yesterday afternoon:

Says he frostbit the side of his face a little bit that first night around Nenana. "Got to love misery, right?"

This is his 10th ID. Says he spends all year thinking about the Iditarod and by June/July he can't wait to get back out here.

Aliy - camped on the river yesterday afternoon:

Said her dog team were willing to go anywhere, so long as it was at 6 mph.

I asked if she still had all 16 dogs, she said yes, but if she drops him and like be a little less work – having to wrap wrists, except etc. But why make it easy?
elsietee

Postby flowerpower » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:51 pm

I'm no expert, but I thought Nic's dogs looked REALLY good coming into Galena. They were just loping along and then barking and banging to go. He also said that when they leave a checkpoint they bark for 15 minutes down the trail. At one point they just decided to speed up and he realized all of a sudden they were going 14 miles an hour! :o :D
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby fladogfan » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:55 pm

elsietee said:
This worked a little better for my wrists - listening to the videos this morning while driving to work (I commute 100 miles a day) - then I'd do voice notes on what was said.

That said, I really need to transcribe Jodi Bailey's interview word for word because it was pretty funny - she was heckling the interviewer.

100 miles a day!! :shock:
and really want to read the Jodi report.
fladogfan

Postby elsietee » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:47 pm

flowerpower wrote:I'm no expert, but I thought Nic's dogs looked REALLY good coming into Galena....

I thought *all* the teams looked pretty good coming into the latest checkpoints. And had to laugh at poor Dallas puffing up the hill into Ruby "You've got to work to get here, eh?" looking back down the hill.

More from Aliy - camped on the river yesterday afternoon:

Trail conditions - at least, going 6 mph - don't seem that bad.

Q: Dallas said he saw 49 below last night.

"I believe 40-ish. I don't normally get cold, but I got cold."

She was trying to balance her cook pot on top of her ice-chest/cooler and said that this new cooler was a bit of a pain because lid doesn't stay open on its own, and she was trying not to waste water.

Then she was trying to figure out where they would be in relation to the "normal" trail. She started counting how many rests she'd done - this was the fifth camp... so on the "real route" she'd be at her 24... <looks around at the vaste flat expanse of Yukon River> ... "doesn't look like my usual 24, at Takotna or McGrath" <laughs>.

<coughs>

Q: You feeling all right?

"Yuh, I got to sleep a little bit. I don't know how long I'll stay here.... until it gets cold <looks around again>... it's pretty. The sun's out...."

"I got far enough off the trail. <looks back the other way>... yuh, there's some sabotage back there... but Nic's probably up that way, isn't he? "

[Not clear what she meant when she said "sabotage" - people messing with other teams' sleep when they're parked close to the trail? Not sure]

Aliy-Yukon-WednesdayPM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:29 pm

Jodi Bailey - camped on the river yesterday afternoon:

I wish you guys could hear the inflection in her voice, she's so funny. She's sitting on her sled, in the middle of the mile-wide Yukon River, eating chunks of bacon .

Interview starts mid-sentence...they've evidently not started the "official" interview yet, and are just setting up:

Jodi: "...How we train, we're alone a lot... so they [the dogs] hear you guys coming up behind us - I don't know if you can tell, but they're all "machines...! machines are coming...! machines are coming!!" and then you pass and they're all "MACHINES!!!"

Jodi-Yukon-WednesdayPM1.jpg

Then they discuss where the interviewer and the camera man should stand.

Jodi: "If you stand on this side, I don't have to look into the sun. ... can you kneel on this side, so I don't have to look into the sun?... or does that ruin everything?"

Camera man: "So long as you don't move, it's good."

<Jodi freezes, bacon bit approaching her mouth><laughs>

Comments that the interviewer looks like a bank robber right now.

Interviewer says he's "tired of taking it on and off".

Jodi: "There's so many jokes in that statement I'm not even going to touch... we're not rolling [camera] yet, are we?"

Camera man: "Please touch it. Our editor sits at a desk for hours on end, she needs some comic relief. It's best if she gets a giggle now and again"

<Jodi laughs>

Jodi: "You mean we're not comic enough? ... You know, I bet a lot of us are grumpy, but talk about a hard spot to follow - most of us are better with dogs than with people, we haven't showered in days... and that's not even on the trail, that's just a standard. And now we're kind of sleep deprived. And fans don't ever get to see us, except for through the job that you-all do - except for this little blip on a screen, most of them don't have any perspective on where that blip really is. So I figure it's the least we can do to show what it's like".

Jodi-Yukon-WednesdayPM2.jpg

Camera man: "So, for my editor, can you say your name... <Jodi laughs, having just inserted a blob of bacon into her mouth> ...no worries... just when you get the time".

Jodi: "I did warn you I was just about to sit down and eat bacon.

... My name is Jodi Bailey and I'm from Chatanika, AK. We're here with Dew Claw Kennel... and at some point, he will pan over and show you my beautiful dogs.

<she waves her arm out, à la Vanna White, towards her dogs>

....panning, panning, panning...

<camera man obediently pans over to her dog team lying in the straw, fast asleep>

Jodi-Yukon-WednesdayPM3.jpg

...I know they can edit out sound, and then I can eat more bacon while he does that... <camera man pans back to her. She laughs> ... I was not fast enough."

Q: So how's your race going so far?

<swallows> "It's going really well, the trail has been beautiful. And that whole Chatanika-thing means I'm used to running in the cold, so it hasn't really bothered me that much. And the dogs have been really happy, which makes me really happy.

...You realise that's the most boring question you could possibly ask me, right?"

Q: What's a good question for me to ask?

Jodi: "Something I haven't been asked by *every* *other* reporter.

...See now I'm just heckling him <looks at the camera man> ...that'll make your editor happy, right?"

Camera man: "Sure" <laughing>

Jodi: "No, it's true, they're always asking 'how's your race going? how's your goals for the race?'"

Q: Why are you out here? ... in the middle of nowhere... eating bacon...

Jodi: "Aah. I was raised in New England, which is a very - I don't know if 'traditional' is the right word - but it just felt like that because that's where I grew up. But life was very different there. You were going to go to school, and grow up, and get married, and have a career and maybe a family - because you know, modern women have choices - but it was all a little bit more... the path was laid out. And it never really felt right.

And when I was in college, I wrote a grant proposal to study story-telling with Athabaskan Elders in interior AK, as an excuse to not go home for the summer - to do something fun and crazy. And I landed in AK and something in my heart told me I was home.

There's just a different speed to life here, and - I apologize for being stereotypical, which I'm sure I am - because New England is different things to lots of people and I don't mean to be utterly negative about it, except that it was a really bad fit for me, I got up here and AK was a really good fit for me.

I like the fact that in AK - the best way to describe it, back east where I grew up, when people ask you 'what do you do?', they're specifically asking you what your job is, as a way for them to try and understand you. And when people in AK ask you 'what do you do?', they want to know what makes you interesting - and very rarely people answer that with a job. And I liked that."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
elsietee

Postby fladogfan » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:35 pm

Cool interview, thanks for the transcribing elsie.
fladogfan

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk