Who's gonna get 3rd?

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Who's gonna get 3rd?

Postby Skip95 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:03 am

Di* wrote:the deal with Mith,

I agree Di, it's too bad about some of that stuff. Guess it's only natural in fierce competition though. I don't like it either. Curious about what you said about Mith. I guess I've been living under a rock....what happened?
Skip95

Postby Di* » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:09 am

Skip95 wrote:Curious about what you said about Mith. I guess I've been living under a rock....what happened?

Well to make a long story short she won a trip to the race start only to be kicked off the street from watching the start because of her service dog Spirit! To add insult to injury the cops were some real jerks in the way they handled the whole thing. She had to watch it online just like all of us who weren't even there.....if you've got any time there are a few threads way back that tell the whole story....
Di*

Postby Skip95 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:13 am

Wow, that's horrible. I'm really surprised to see such ignorance, especially in Alaska where folks are a lot more laid back and with a greater harmony with animals than in almost any other place I've lived. What a bummer.

E
Skip95

Postby Di* » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:16 am

Yea there were some pretty heated conversations about it over at the ITC thread... :roll:

That forum reminds me of Hollywood's wild, wild west, every man for himself, shootouts left and right! :lol:

:D Sooo thankful for the one really good thing here and how John stepped forward to do this for us! Wish we could do something great for him in return!!!
Di*

Postby BB Backer » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:31 am

Di - I don't like hearing that either. But as Martin says, "The trail lays your soul bare." I think many mushers have their moments. I talked to a vet tech from our dog club who volunteered her time during this year's Yukon Quest. She did not have anything nice to say about Lance. She said he blew them off, was rude, etc. You have to remember that these mushers have healthy egos and are Type A personalities...plus they are exhausted. I plan to give them ALL the benefit of the doubt too. I hope Martin addresses the problem though and will apologize to Gwen. I know being a good role model for his sons is very important to him.

Glad to see Rohn out of Koyuk with 7! (sending good vibes! :D )

Go team Buser!!!
When you’re happy, dance around and wag your entire body.
BB Backer

Postby Di* » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:38 am

You always make me feel better BB :D God bless you!! :)
Di*

Postby Di* » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:49 am

Forgot to add that you make a lot of good points, it is so hard to get "in the zone" that those mushers are in ....Here I sit on my chair, sleep deprived and feeling sad, can't imagine doing the sleep deprivation thing for days on end, while competing, while taking care of a ton of dogs, while cameras, fans and naysayers circle around me endlessly....Yeah, Imight let fly a few misplaced words as well! But yes, hope he can apologize to her for sure....or maybe Kathy will if she hears of this?! ;)
Di*

Postby Di* » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:22 am

Looks like Ramey may have a lock on 3rd...
and there was only one minute separating Ken and Martin out of Safety!! :shock: Maybe that will be the sprint to the finish!
Di*

Postby Skip95 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:24 am

Yeah, I don't think Ken will catch Ramey...bummer. However, I don't think Martin will catch Ken. At least I hope he won't.....come on Ken!!!! Mush!!!!

E
Skip95

Postby Skip95 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:27 am

Wait a sec...Ken's speed just jumped to 10MPH....looks like he's making his big final push...he's probably battling to stay in front or pass either Ramey or Martin or both....this is gonna be a GREAT finish...

E
Skip95

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk