Who's gonna get 3rd?

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Who's gonna get 3rd?

Postby Skip95 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:30 am

Gwen's last post is pretty good, an update from Safety:

Ken out of Saftety in 4th place
Ramey, Ken, and Martin Buser just went through the very last 'checkpoint' of Saftey 15 minutes ago. Ramey was first, which is not too much of a surprise, but Martin was actually the second team in. Ken was immediately behind Martin, and then took a couple of minutes to drop a bag. I wonder if he had been carrying this dog in his bag and whether that might have slowed him down. In any case, Martin did not drop a dog but did something interestingly strategically. He waited until Ken left so he could follow him out and 'draft' off of him. That was probably a smart move, as dogs like to follow and Ken may have real trouble pulling away from Martin. Martin's dogs (or at least leaders) will be slightly rested relative to Ken's, and then he can at some point re-pass Ken coming into Nome. It puts Ken in a tough position of actually needing to run significantly faster than Martin to pull away, which is not easy at this stage in the race and if anything, Martin has shown he is the slightly faster team of the two.

In any case, it will be an interesting final stretch, and I am headed down to the finish line now to get things set up. Also, Hans seems to be trailing, but it is hard to know for sure. They do not have him posted as through Saftey yet.

Thanks to Glenn's Gun Shop and owner Glenn Blantz from Annville, PA for sponsoring Bartusch in the 2008 race. This is Glenn's Gunshop 4th year sponsoring our team, and he is also making his 4th trip up to watch the start this year. Glenn is travelling with his son David, and they had the chance to travel to McGrath after the start as well to watch the action. Thanks to Glenn for his long-time support.
Skip95

Postby Di* » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:33 am

Oohh looks very exciting, GO MARTIN!!!!!!!!!!
Di*

Postby Skip95 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:38 am

Big crowd gathered in Nome right now on the webcam, just happened, probably somebody coming in...which probably means Ramey....
Skip95

Postby carolynh » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:49 am

People are starting to gather around the Nome cam finish line. I'm guessing that the #3 finisher is going to appear soon!

Carolyn H.
carolynh

Postby Di* » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:56 am

:evil: Missed it again, nothing would work for me! Would somebody who saw it confirm #3was Ramey? PLEASE! :shock:
Di*

Postby Skip95 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:57 am

I can't confirm either, but it has to be Ramey...Ken's still 2 miles out.
Skip95

Postby carolynh » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:59 am

Someone just arrived in Nome, can't tell who. I can see a few dogs up where the people are gathered, but that's all.

Carolyn H.
carolynh

Postby carolynh » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:04 am

Renewed gathering at the finish in Nome. I'm thinking #4 isn't far behind whoever #3 was.

Carolyn H.
carolynh

Postby carolynh » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:17 am

Here's #4 finishing
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
carolynh

Postby Skip95 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:18 am

Bummer, that looks like Martin, not Ken. :(

E
Skip95

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk