Nenana to Manley Hot Springs

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Nenana to Manley Hot Springs

Postby mamamia » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:00 am

Elsie it is interesting that the miles on your tracker are so much different than mine. My screen shows Nic at 127, yours says 139 and still moving. Mine shows Jeff at 111, your at 118. I wonder what is up with that?
mamamia

Postby elsietee » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:25 am

I was just going to comment on that. Strange. So I just hit refresh and my mileage aligned with yours. I wonder if they redid something on the trail and adjusted the mileage after I turned my tracker on at the start.

We shall now resume regular mileage. :)
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby Another UK Fan » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:48 am

mamamia - thinking over your observations in the Fairbanks to Nenana thread about Dallas and Ramey opting to go slow . . . and it's looking like there's two strategies ( well probably loads of strategies ;) ) - just taking 4 mushers here from gps in two pairs. Sort of suggests you spotted something significant very early on. Wondering how this will unfold . . . .

Jeff - bib no 44 at mile 128. Average speed 9.1mph

Ali - bib 41. mile 124. Av speed 9.2 mph.

Dallas - bib 18. Mile 108. Av speed 8.1 mph.

Ramey - bib 44. Mile 84. Ave speed 7.6 mph.
Another UK Fan

Postby ikh » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:54 am

Iditarod-2017-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Inger Karin in Oslo, Norway
ikh

Postby mamamia » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:55 am

There is a huge cluster of resting mushers at race mile 128. So I asked myself, "what is that place?" Tom Huntington's trail report referenced "Old Minto" so I looked it up.
OLD MINTO

(Mentee)

Old Minto village is located in Interior Alaska, on the banks of the Tanana River, a tributary of the Yukon River, about 50 miles south of Fairbanks. The village has no road access and is therefore only accessible by air or river. The nearest town is Nenana, Alaska. The Athabascan spelling of Minto is 'Mentee', and means 'people amongst the lakes'.

Mentee was settled in 1912 by a band of Interior Athabascan Indians led by Chief Charlie, of the Minto Flats area. In 1971, the residents moved to a new location 25 miles north, and accessible by road from Fairbanks, which is now called New Minto, or Minto.

Despite relocation from the old site, the people of Minto have maintained a strong spiritual attachment to Old Minto. Elders still go there to camp, visit graves of their ancestors and recapture memories. The cabins, church, community hall, and store buildings still exist today, and many elders recall the days when these buildings were in use. For these people and their descendants, Old Minto remains "home" and represents a significant part of their spirituality.
mamamia

Postby Another UK Fan » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:00 am

I was asking the same question. Thanks for looking it up! Back to work again . . .
Another UK Fan

Postby mamamia » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:02 am

Another UK Fan wrote:mamamia - thinking over your observations in the Fairbanks to Nenana thread about Dallas and Ramey opting to go slow . . . and it's looking like there's two strategies ( well probably loads of strategies ;) ) - just taking 4 mushers here from gps in two pairs. Sort of suggests you spotted something significant very early on. Wondering how this will unfold . . . .

Jeff - bib no 44 at mile 128. Average speed 9.1mph

Ali - bib 41. mile 124. Av speed 9.2 mph.

Dallas - bib 18. Mile 108. Av speed 8.1 mph.

Ramey - bib 44. Mile 84. Ave speed 7.6 mph.

I hope I am right and it is just strategy be ause I began to worry about Ramey last night. The thought I had came from watching John Baker the year he won. He kept his team very slow in the first third of the race and then exploded on the Yukon River. But watching Ramey overnight... on the run to Nenana he was stopping almost once an hour. At one point he stopped for a full 30 minutes. Then in Nenana he rested for 4h 49m while all the other top mushers averaged 3.5h. I keep telling me it is nothing but looking at the analytic chart with all that stopping and starting makes me wonder. I hope it is nothing but strategy. He is off to a good start since leaving Nenana so this leg will tell.
mamamia

Postby mira » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:58 am

The "party" gets bigger and bigger or so it seems..

party_time_gps_glitch_time.png

Thanks for the updates all, makes it so much easier to get a fast idea what's going on..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mira

Postby mira » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:08 am

The teams also have to do a climb not far after from Old Minto, so I guess it's a nice place to rest..
mira

Previous

Return to Mushing Talk