Trail Snippets

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Trail Snippets

Postby Another UK Fan » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:57 pm

Thanks T for the facebook.
Another UK Fan

Postby elsietee » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:03 pm

tanglefoot wrote:Dallas is breaking the run from Ruby to Huslia into two 70's. ...

Wade led Dallas into Galena by almost an hour and a half, stopped for 3h 35m, and is now blasting up to Huslia. He's gone almost 50 miles, so we'll see what his plan is in the next hour. Is he planning to stop and camp and do 3 runs to Koyukuk, or is this a hail mary push all the way to Huslia to take his '8'?

Update:

At 11:45. Wade stopped on the trail at mile 451 (Huslia is at 478 - so he has 27 miles to go).
Dallas is up and running again at mile 438. He's running 8 mph... so will catch Wade in just under two hours. I'd expect Wade to let him go on by and rest at least another 30 mins to an hour before setting off.
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby Eggs » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:22 pm

Old news (from March 9: ) Finally got around to finishing watching this video (it's good): Pete Kaiser in Galena talking about sleep deprivation.
... I just try to run - but you can fall asleep running too so...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab_GsDAk4Ic
Eggs

Postby mamamia » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:23 pm

Wade is showing that he still has sound decision making abilities and good instincts. Some may have wondered at his decision to stop in Galena only 5 hours after his 24 but it has set him up for a nice running schedule. He ran 6:22 then stopped at 11:43 for afternoon naptime. He could continue to do this for a while and still have a good looking dog team.
mamamia

Postby fladogfan » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:49 pm

Eggs wrote:Old news (from March 9: ) Finally got around to finishing watching this video (it's good): Pete Kaiser in Galena talking about sleep deprivation.

Thanks eggs, lots of interesting 'old' news, like the Lance interview.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby mamamia » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:21 pm

mamamia

Postby coldfeet » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:51 pm

Because it is hard to find info about Michelle https://www.facebook.com/TagishLakeKennel/
coldfeet

Postby elsietee » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:01 pm

elsietee wrote:
tanglefoot wrote:Dallas is breaking the run from Ruby to Huslia into two 70's. ...

Wade led Dallas into Galena by almost an hour and a half, stopped for 3h 35m, and is now blasting up to Huslia. He's gone almost 50 miles, so we'll see what his plan is in the next hour. Is he planning to stop and camp and do 3 runs to Koyukuk, or is this a hail mary push all the way to Huslia to take his '8'?

Update:

At 11:45. Wade stopped on the trail at mile 451 (Huslia is at 478 - so he has 27 miles to go).
Dallas is up and running again at mile 438. He's running 8 mph... so will catch Wade in just under two hours. I'd expect Wade to let him go on by and rest at least another 30 mins to an hour before setting off.

Interesting.

It's 2:45 (race time) and Wade is still resting as he's supposed to be at mile 451 (for at least another 30 minutes) and Dallas went on by (as expected).

But Dallas then stopped at mile 458. (prior to this he stopped at Mile 415 for three hours, setting off again at 8:30 am, so 6.5 hours ago).
If he stays longer than 3 hours, then it suggests that his idea of running two 70 mile runs didn't work out as he hoped, and his dogs need more rest.

(Joar is resting at mile 452, just past Wade, since 2:15 this afternoon).
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:25 pm

From Jeanine Seavey, Mitch's wife, on FB:
(https://www.facebook.com/seaveysididari ... 7876804424)

...All four of our boys and Mitch are along the Iditarod Trail in some capacity.

Danny and Conway are leading an expedition of Chinese tourists. They departed home almost two weeks ago and will meet up with us in Nome five days from now. Two of the days during their tour have reached temperatures of minus 50 degrees and another day was minus 40. Propane is the source of heat for the tents they sleep in. Unfortunately, propane doesn’t vaporize below minus 43. Despite the challenging weather this tour group is experiencing they seem to be reveling in this unique Alaskan experience.

Tyrell (a commercial fisherman by trade) oversaw the Nenana Checkpoint is now in Koyukuk, as a volunteer. He will keep snow melting over a fire day and night for the mushers and their dogs, help park teams, record in/out times for the online stats, and provide moral support to weary mushers.

Then there is Dallas. While Mitch perceives him as his biggest threat in this year’s race, Dallas is also one of his dearest friends. Their relationship is one of complexity they seem to manage beautifully. My heart quickened Monday Morning in Fairbanks when I took a moment to visit Dallas at his truck before our teams were pulled up to the starting line. Dallas saw me coming, dropped what he was doing and wrapped his arms around me. Love and family are at the core of what we do and it provides the strength we each need to do the best we can in the roles we each play.

Awww.
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:44 pm

Eggs wrote:Old news (from March 9: ) Finally got around to finishing watching this video (it's good): Pete Kaiser in Galena talking about sleep deprivation.

Finally got a chance to listen to this - it's amazing how coherent the mushers are most of the time ;)

I concur with what he says about those 5-hour energy things - I took one on a 75 miler once. It revved me up so much I couldn't stop talking (which I'm sure my trail companion was thrilled about - not).

The trouble was, it wore off right after I finished the ride. The wave of tiredness that hit me then was insurmountable. I had to get the horse cared for, but could barely function. Had to blanket him and remember being so frustrated because I couldn't get the stupid little T-piece strap fasteners hooked up - you have to push a T-shaped piece of metal through a slot and turn it. There are two approaches and each blanket is slightly different. In that case, I couldn't get it fastened at all and was panicking because I knew I was "going down". Finally got it on and barely got to my bed before I crashed unconscious, still fully-clothed with my shoes on.

Will never take those things again, except in an emergency.
elsietee

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk