Trail Snippets

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Trail Snippets

Postby fladogfan » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:52 pm

Good advice elsie, I had no idea about them. Very scary. Probably affect each of us differently ... but :(
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Another UK Fan » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:03 pm

Thanks elsietee for that. A real insight. I had no idea! Can very much see why you wouldn't take it again if possible.
Another UK Fan

Postby elsietee » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:12 pm

elsietee wrote:
elsietee wrote:Update:

At 11:45. Wade stopped on the trail at mile 451 (Huslia is at 478 - so he has 27 miles to go).
Dallas is up and running again at mile 438. He's running 8 mph... so will catch Wade in just under two hours. I'd expect Wade to let him go on by and rest at least another 30 mins to an hour before setting off.

Interesting.

It's 2:45 (race time) and Wade is still resting as he's supposed to be at mile 451 (for at least another 30 minutes) and Dallas went on by (as expected).

But Dallas then stopped at mile 458. (prior to this he stopped at Mile 415 for three hours, setting off again at 8:30 am, so 6.5 hours ago).
If he stays longer than 3 hours, then it suggests that his idea of running two 70 mile runs didn't work out as he hoped, and his dogs need more rest.

(Joar is resting at mile 452, just past Wade, since 2:15 this afternoon).

3:45 (race time) and Wade is on the move again, after a four hour break. Good man.
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby mithious » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:16 pm

Whoop whoop whoop.....getting exciting now ;) Now the fun begins :D
Nay, be a Columbus to whole new continents and worlds within you, opening new channels, not of trade, but of thought.
Henry D Thoreau
Happiness depends more on the internal frame of a person's mind than on the externals in the world.
George Washington
mithious

Skype ID: laurie.brown9

Postby mithious » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:17 pm

Thank you elsietee :D :D :D :D :D :D
Nay, be a Columbus to whole new continents and worlds within you, opening new channels, not of trade, but of thought.
Henry D Thoreau
Happiness depends more on the internal frame of a person's mind than on the externals in the world.
George Washington
mithious

Postby 7 Siberians » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:21 pm

elsietee wrote:
Eggs wrote:Old news (from March 9: ) Finally got around to finishing watching this video (it's good): Pete Kaiser in Galena talking about sleep deprivation.
... I just try to run - but you can fall asleep running too so...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab_GsDAk4Ic

Finally got a chance to listen to this - it's amazing how coherent the mushers are most of the time ;)

I concur with what he says about those 5-hour energy things - I took one on a 75 miler once. It revved me up so much I couldn't stop talking (which I'm sure my trail companion was thrilled about - not).
Will never take those things again, except in an emergency.

I almost made the mistake of using one of those energy drinks, it could have really harmed me , due to having hypertension.

Everyday. I see so many younger people (20's?) buying those energy drinks, often in large containers. Caffeine is okay, but wondering the long term effects of massive doses of caffeine over time .

Been following the Iditabuds forum! , thanks all, I enjoy reading all the posts. My only input is I am still hoping Aily wins, and also hope Jason Mackey is in the top 5 .

Bad year for me, but I am not changing my Screen name, now I have 3 Siberians.....one of my Siberians, Alaska , is 19 years old! Slim, my avatar Siberian, passed away last September.

Best to all.
7 Siberians endorsed by 2 Shiba Inu
7 Siberians

Postby flowerpower » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:28 pm

Good to see you 7Sibs. And they are still with you, even if they don't have a physical presence. It's always hard to say goodbye. We'll be facing that with ours sooner than later, I'm afraid. Elwood is the baby and he's 10 now. :(
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby mithious » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:30 pm

Oh my gosh 7 Siberians, I am sooo sorry :( :( :( Hugs, big ones :cry: :cry:
Henry D Thoreau
George Washington
mithious

Postby flowerpower » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:31 pm

I was watching some of the videos and Mitch was talking about one of the most difficult things for him has been his glasses. He says when ever its really cold and he bends over the steam from the dogs fogs his glasses up. Says his vision isn't good enough to function without them, but when they fog up it's hard to see to work snaps or even tell which dog is which. As a glasses wearer myself, I wondered how that worked. You don't see alot of mushers with glasses-I wonder if some of them wear contacts and how that works out.
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby mithious » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:41 pm

That makes me think of Swingley. Eyes, lazer surgery, froze eyes? Maybe cold and contacts aren't so good???? I really don't know.... :?
Henry D Thoreau
George Washington
mithious

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk