Run-rest top 5

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Run-rest top 5

Postby mithious » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:48 pm

tanglefoot wrote:MB and king Jeffy both mentioned before the race that they still had some moves they have wanted to try out for years!
Sonwho knows with those two?

They did? :shock: :D They didn't happen to give any hints did they? ;) I can't figure out what Aliy is doing...yet....I already know what Dallas and Mitch are planning ;) Martin, long runs, long rests? Girls are doing amazing :D :D :D Then there is John Baker.... :D :D :D and Joar and and and LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nay, be a Columbus to whole new continents and worlds within you, opening new channels, not of trade, but of thought.
Henry D Thoreau
Happiness depends more on the internal frame of a person's mind than on the externals in the world.
George Washington
mithious

Skype ID: laurie.brown9

Postby coldfeet » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:59 pm

Ulsom is doing what Aily is doing. :? Marrs and Kaiser are doing run short rest short (4th and 5th last yr). 8-) Makes me tired thinking about them. :cry:
coldfeet

Postby elsietee » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:55 pm

Bruce Lee was just saying that no-one else came in to Manley carrying dogs.

Dallas' "dog boxes" have straw in them.
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby mithious » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:12 pm

elsietee wrote:Bruce Lee was just saying that no-one else came in to Manley carrying dogs.

Dallas' "dog boxes" have straw in them.

I know, read all about his sled. Still not sure. It has it's pro's and con's...do the pro's outweigh the con's? I don't know :? The race has already changed far beyond what it used to be. These young folk seem to be taking this race in a different direction, good bad, or otherwise and us old folk had better catch up I think....as far has hauling dogs though...I thought there used to be a rule about dogs on the gangline or something? Maybe all mushers will have to build and run sleds like this in the future to be competitive? There are risks though too....run away team, sled wrapped around a tree....how warm is it for a musher to sleep in, in a bad storm? Then you have the dogs not running the full 1000 miles. If he's rotating them then not one will have run the full race.

Then you have the pro's, dogs are rested, no deaths or real injuries. He wins, lots. So is this the future, future, of the Iditarod? Seems to be ;)

Dallas has a phenominal team. I saw them leave the shute in FB's. Hands down, besides Sorlie's team, I haven't seen a more uniform, focused, evenly matched team....very professional!

Go Aliy GOOOO, run like the wind ;) :D
Nay, be a Columbus to whole new continents and worlds within you, opening new channels, not of trade, but of thought.
Henry D Thoreau
Happiness depends more on the internal frame of a person's mind than on the externals in the world.
George Washington
mithious

Skype ID: laurie.brown9

Postby elsietee » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:41 pm

Per a comment on Jake Berkowitz's FB page:

"According to his wife's post on their kennel FB page yesterday, ...Ken Anderson is also carrying 4 dogs at a time and rotating them every two hours. His plan is to run 8 hours and rest 4. However, his hope is each of his dogs will have actually rested 6 over that time frame."
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby Frozen Chosen » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:24 pm

SuldalsXpressen wrote:By Manley Hot Springs:

Eskil

SSSSSsssssuuuuUUUULLLLdddAAAALLLLsss.....eXXxxPrRRRRrrrrrEEEEssssss....EEEEEeeeeeeeeOOOOhhhhnnnn!!!!!
Whaz zup...
Frozen Chosen

Postby ukmusher » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:21 pm

The dogs on the gang line rule would also include dogs being carried, it would be in place to stop you free running dogs, unsecured to the team in any way
Rigrunner Siberians
Making Zero Progress
ukmusher

Postby mira » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:25 pm

elsietee wrote:yes, thanks for this.

I wish they showed the race flow, like in YQ.

Yes, the race flow chart is missed. it's help a bit that you can compare five mushers together, but the race flow is so much easier.
mira

Previous

Return to Mushing Talk