Shrinking teams

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Shrinking teams

Postby dilli » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:26 am

We've got treats
dilli

Postby flowerpower » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:33 am

That's a tough one. Poor Scott. :cry: :cry:
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby tanglefoot » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:32 am

So, basically he died of heat stroke whilst in the air craft, wonder if he was placed too near a heat source?

that sucks totally!!! nothing Scott had done but this needs to be looked at and things changed, i read there was 48 dogs on the flight, they could have all died. not good ITC not good at all!
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby mamamia » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:25 am

Justin and Jami High had a dog on that flight and she posted on facebook yesterday that he was at the vet with a fever of 109. Needless to say she was pissed! There is no excuse for this.
mamamia

Postby mamamia » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:28 am

tanglefoot wrote: i read there was 48 dogs on the flight, they could have all died. not good ITC not good at all!

May I ask where you read this tangles? I suspect we haven't heard the last of this.
mamamia

Postby dilli » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:35 am

According to Stu Nelson quote to ADN, there were 75 dogs on that flight.

https://www.adn.com/outdoors-adventure/iditarod/2017/03/11/iditarod-live-blog-for-saturday-march-11-a-dropped-dog-dies-in-transit/
Dropped dog dies en route to Anchorage

A 2-year-old dog from Iditarod veteran Scott Smith's team died while in transit from the Galena checkpoint late Friday, after the musher dropped the dog earlier in the race, said a statement Saturday morning from Mark Nordman, race marshal.

Smith had dropped the male dog named Smoke on Tuesday at the Manley Hot Springs checkpoint, due to a wrist injury, according to the Iditarod Trail Committee. Smoke died while being transported by plane from Galena to Anchorage and was in a travel kennel onboard the flight.

Typically, the Iditarod transports dogs that mushers choose to leave behind at checkpoints and eventually brings them to Anchorage.

"A necropsy will be conducted by a board-certified pathologist to make every attempt to determine the cause of death," the statement said.

This is Smith's seventh Iditarod start. He placed 10th last year.

Chief Iditarod veterinarian Stu Nelson said Smoke was one of 75 dogs on a chartered flight that left Galena on Friday night, bound for Anchorage. Galena serves as a hub for Iditarod Air Force pilots on this year's race, with dogs from prior checkpoints in the race delivered to Yukon River community before flying back to Anchorage.

Nelson said in a phone interview Saturday that dogs are transported in wooden travel kennels constructed by the Iditarod with each individual kennel capable of holding up to two dogs. He didn't know whether Smoke was in the kennel by himself or with another dog.
We've got treats
dilli

Postby tanglefoot » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:01 am

75 sorry not 45
Have posted under new thread, sounds like more than one dog was effected
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby JeanieB » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:14 pm

That sounds like a LOT of dogs! And if the dog was dropped in Manley, how did it have to go all the way to Galena? Lots of questions, huh.
"When women reach a certain age, they begin to collect dogs. This is known as "Many - Paws""
JeanieB

Postby dilli » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:05 pm

(((Jeannie B)))

I think I figured out the answer to your question in Tangles' other thread. 8-)
We've got treats
dilli

Postby elsietee » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:15 pm

On a happier note, this made me laugh:

Squid Acres - Paige Drobny on FB:

Just got word from a friend who is in Nulato that Cody dropped Bowie because he was being a jerk to the other dogs. I guess they are not tired! He had been running him by himself since before Galena but he must have just gotten tired of dealing with him! That's part of managing the team, knowing when to send someone home who isn't working with the team.
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk