Layovers?

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Layovers?

Postby emwcee » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:28 pm

I'm confused. Why have so many mushers completed their 8-hour before completing their 24-hour? Is it because of the route? Are there the same requirements for the 8-hour - that it has to be on the Yukon?
emwcee

Re: Layovers?

Postby mamamia » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:31 am

Yes, the 8 hour must be taken on the Yukon whereas the 24 can be taken anywhere. With this route they hit the Yukon much earlier in the race so that gives them more options. On the traditional route the first third of the race is the very technical run over the mountains and across the burn. This usually leaves the teams a bit beat up and ready for a long break. That is why taking an early 24 mandatory has become popular but it is only a third of the way into the race. On this route after a few hundred hours of fairly flat travel (a third of the race) the teams were ready for a long break but not really needing a 24. Since Tanana is the first checkpoint on the Yukon some opted for their Yukon 8 and are pushing closer to the midpoint before taking their 24.
mamamia

Postby mira » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:34 am

Yes, it is. 8 hours Yukon must be taken on Yukon.

24 hours could be taken anywhere (actually, I thought you had to do it before the coast, but I think someone posted the rule stating it could be taken anywhere.. of course, no one will take 24 in Koyuk :)

I think it's smart, I think some did it the last time as well. This route is very different, and I think the field is more compact, passing the gorge and going over the alaska range is another kind of challenge than (much) river running. Since they reach Yukon in Tanana, before the half-way point, they can use the 8h. Yukon rest, then run along to Huslia/Koyukuk/Nulato and have a late 24hours on the dogs, giving you speed on the portage and perhaps more fresh dogs when the race "restarts" on the coast (or really Kaltag).

(Oh, mamamia answered as well.. I still post it :)
mira

Postby fladogfan » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:43 am

:lol: hey I like to read everyone's opinions
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby emwcee » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:53 am

Thanks. That makes sense. I totally messed up on my Furthest to 24, because I didn't realize that. But that's okay. I never get that one right, even with the usual route.

I wonder if anyone will go all the way to Unalakleet to do their 24. It seems like a nice, friendly place for a rest, and the teams are always tired after that long stretch.
emwcee

Postby braider » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:32 am

Kind of seems like Mitch is doing something a bit different. He hasn't done his 8 or his 24 yet?

emwcee wrote:

I wonder if anyone will go all the way to Unalakleet to do their 24. It seems like a nice, friendly place for a rest, and the teams are always tired after that long stretch.
braider

Location: Bemidji, Minnesota - the first city on the Mississippi River

Postby mira » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:13 am

No, he hasn't.

And I think most of us didn't think of that aspect.

I don't think anyone will go to unalakleet, it's windy there.

I guessed Huslia, that was the furthest anyone went last time, but I think they might have adjusted to the new route a bit more this time. It also depends on the condition. I really doubt anyone goes past koyukuk or Nulato. Time will tell :D
mira

Postby mithious » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:05 am

mira wrote:No, he hasn't.

And I think most of us didn't think of that aspect.

I don't think anyone will go to unalakleet, it's windy there.

I guessed Huslia, that was the furthest anyone went last time, but I think they might have adjusted to the new route a bit more this time. It also depends on the condition. I really doubt anyone goes past koyukuk or Nulato. Time will tell :D

I agree mira......The 24 hour rule, part says when it's best for the "dogs"....not strategy ;) Unalakleet just doesn't seem "best for the dogs" ;)

OR strategy ;) Dallas has not only his Dad to worry him, but now Wade too ;) Wade has been posting faster CP to CP times ( according to the stat sheet and my math which is suspect ;) ), but Wade isn't carrying 4-5 dogs either....so who knows....fun race though. :D
Nay, be a Columbus to whole new continents and worlds within you, opening new channels, not of trade, but of thought.
Henry D Thoreau
Happiness depends more on the internal frame of a person's mind than on the externals in the world.
George Washington
mithious

Skype ID: laurie.brown9

Postby braider » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:11 am

I'm guessing that Mitch must be setting himself up to do his 8 in Kaltag.
braider

Location: Bemidji, Minnesota - the first city on the Mississippi River

Postby mithious » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:16 am

That would make sense unless Dallas, Wade or Nic are on his heels but they ALL need an 8 man somewhere on the next Yukon run ;) Maybe they will all end up in Kaltag for their 8 :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nay, be a Columbus to whole new continents and worlds within you, opening new channels, not of trade, but of thought.
Henry D Thoreau
Happiness depends more on the internal frame of a person's mind than on the externals in the world.
George Washington
mithious

Skype ID: laurie.brown9

Next

Return to Mushing Talk