Layovers?

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Layovers?

Postby mira » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:02 pm

True, and I guess it's very likely they take their 8 in Kaltag. The other options are too early, I think.

But, I found this year more interesting in this stage of the race than it usually is, I like that!
mira

Postby mamamia » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:06 pm

I would think strategy wise Kaltag is a good place to 8. It puts you on the coast with some good rest on your team.
mamamia

Postby mira » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:13 pm

I agree. The coast is vital and I kind of think Dallas has a point when saying the race restarts in Kaltag. You have to be in the right position there, and a 8 hour rest. Of course, you can opt for Nulato and then split the Nulato - Kaltag - unalakleet - shaktoolik in two or three even runs.

But I think kaltag makes more sense. As long as the dogs aren't too low, the later the rest, the better
mira

Postby elsietee » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:45 pm

Looks like both Wade and Dallas opted to 24 in Ruby.

Coming in to Ruby, Dallas was waffling about what to do, which was interesting. Was he going to see how his team were eating before making his decision? He offered that he was going to 8 or 24... but was 90% sure he was going to 24.
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby mithious » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:10 pm

That and maybe see what his Dad was gonna do? ;) :D
Nay, be a Columbus to whole new continents and worlds within you, opening new channels, not of trade, but of thought.
Henry D Thoreau
Happiness depends more on the internal frame of a person's mind than on the externals in the world.
George Washington
mithious

Skype ID: laurie.brown9

Postby tanglefoot » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:33 pm

Definitely mithy
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby mithious » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:02 pm

:mrgreen:
Nay, be a Columbus to whole new continents and worlds within you, opening new channels, not of trade, but of thought.
Henry D Thoreau
Happiness depends more on the internal frame of a person's mind than on the externals in the world.
George Washington
mithious

Postby mira » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:08 pm

Assuming people are on their 24 hours rest, here's the current numbers:

#18 Dallas Seavey can leave at 09th. Mar at 21:14 from Ruby.
#29 Wade Marrs can leave at 09th. Mar at 20:06 from Ruby.
#38 Joar L. Ulsom can leave at 10th. Mar at 07:36 from Galena.
#24 Nicolas Petit can leave at 10th. Mar at 09:01 from Galena.
#25 Peter Kaiser can leave at 10th. Mar at 10:21 from Galena.

Nicolas might just be taking 8, in that case, he can leave Galena 15:25 (today, on the 9th).

I'm not sure what kind of strategy that is, taking 8 in Galena, maybe he is aiming for 24 in Kaltag? I don't understand what he's thinking. i really don't believe them when they say they have no plan.. I mean.. they have their shipped the drop bags so of course they have some kind of plan.. but sometimes I wonder..
mira

Postby mithious » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:33 pm

You have a point with the bags....we had an old saying, " when do you know a musher is lying? When they open their mouth" ;) :lol: :lol: This being ON THE TRAIL ONLY ;) for strategy's sake ;) That's why I want to see Aliy and team come in and time...she said her team would only go 6 MPH on the river, but that was about the average speed for everyone ;) going into Ruby...so.... ;) Is she fibbin? Strategizing? Or is it a real problem? This run time and what she decides will tell :D ;)

HUGE thanks for all that math too :D Once I see what Aliy does, I can rest peacefully :D :D :D
Henry D Thoreau
George Washington
mithious

Postby elsietee » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:49 pm

I want to see Aliy and team come in and time...she said her team would only go 6 MPH on the river, but that was about the average speed for everyone ;) going into Ruby...so.... ;) Is she fibbin? Strategizing? Or is it a real problem? This run time and what she decides will tell

Judging by what people were saying, I think most teams were going pretty slow on the river - it was hot and soft. Obviously, can't tell how fast people were going, since you throw a rest-on-the-river in there, but she wasn't the slowest... or the fastest:

Ralph Johannessen 20h 20m
Aliy Zirkle 20h 58m
Robert Redington (r) 19h 32m
John Baker 21h 36m
Cody Strathe 19h 44m
Mats Pettersson 21h 18m
Sebastien Vergnaud (r) 20h 28m
Ketil Reitan 20h 5m
Hans Gatt 19h 48m
Noah Burmeister 22h 31m
Paul Gebhardt 21h 9m
Scott Smith 20h 50m