Layovers?

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Layovers?

Postby mithious » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:28 pm

Thank you :D :D :D Some of that musher on the trail talk again I think maybe ;) ;) :lol: :lol:
Nay, be a Columbus to whole new continents and worlds within you, opening new channels, not of trade, but of thought.
Henry D Thoreau
Happiness depends more on the internal frame of a person's mind than on the externals in the world.
George Washington
mithious

Skype ID: laurie.brown9

Postby elsietee » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:52 pm

No, I think it was pretty soft and slow and the sun was hot. It seemed that every single musher they interviewed said that - even Joar who was into Galena in the middle of the night.

What's puzzling me is why they haven't updated Aliy's status yet. I suspect they forgot her, since they've added several mushers who arrived after her. She arrived right between Hugh (13:19) and Ralph (13:43) - so 13:30 ish (which would make her run time around 5:50 hrs).
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby mithious » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:00 pm

Had to pop back on, just saw this...yeah, they forgot her for about 18 hours earlier in the race too ;) She pop back up in 4th I think? Oh I meant the doggies having a bug and going slow because of that. I read she thought they had a bug from the YQ still going on ;) That was what I meant, not trail time....trail time was average, as you mentioned :D Alright, now headed for a snooze or nights sleep ;) Can't wait to read what you all write later. Thanks so much for putting my mind at ease :D :D :D
Nay, be a Columbus to whole new continents and worlds within you, opening new channels, not of trade, but of thought.
Henry D Thoreau
Happiness depends more on the internal frame of a person's mind than on the externals in the world.
George Washington
mithious

Skype ID: laurie.brown9

Postby fladogfan » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:03 pm

Good night mith
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby mamamia » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:26 pm

elsietee wrote:Judging by what people were saying, I think most teams were going pretty slow on the river - it was hot and soft. Obviously, can't tell how fast people were going, since you throw a rest-on-the-river in there, but she wasn't the slowest... or the fastest:

Ralph Johannessen 20h 20m
Aliy Zirkle 20h 58m
Robert Redington (r) 19h 32m
John Baker 21h 36m
Cody Strathe 19h 44m
Mats Pettersson 21h 18m
Sebastien Vergnaud (r) 20h 28m
Ketil Reitan 20h 5m
Hans Gatt 19h 48m
Noah Burmeister 22h 31m
Paul Gebhardt 21h 9m
Scott Smith 20h 50m

Here are my calculations about how fast people made this trip if you deduct their rest times on the river. Rest times varied from 3-5 hours. Pete Kaiser was the only one who broke the run into 3 keeping with his run short rest short strategy. A lot of teams had 9-11 hour runs from their rest to Ruby so we should be seeing a lot of long rests in Ruby. Some hit it perfectly breaking the run into two 7 hr runs.
Ralph 16:30
Aily 16:40
John 17:35
Cody 16:03
Mats 18:07
Noah 18:10
Mitch 14:30
Dallas 14:00
Joar 15:07
Jessie 17:30
Michelle 15:43
Nic 16:10
Wade 14:40
Pete 15:30
Jason15:53
mamamia

Postby flowerpower » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:10 pm

I was catching up on the videos and Wade Marrs said he plans to do his 8 in Huslia. But Huslia isn't on the river, is it? So that wouldn't count as his mandatory 8 since that has to be taken on the river? Or are they letting them count that as a river stop? I'm really confused now. :? :?
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby mamamia » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:00 pm

I think he is confused and sleep deprived and maybe misspoke. Someone will clue him in. Plus it doesn't make any sense to take your 8 right after your 24. He has made great decisions up until now I believe he will keep it together.
mamamia

Postby flowerpower » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:39 pm

Jen Seavey mentioned that 8 can be taken at any checkpoint from Tanana to Kaltag, so maybe Huslia counts in the re-route. :?

But the rules say
Eight Hour Mandatory Stops: In addition to the mandatory twenty-four (24) hour stop, a musher
must take one eight (8) hour stop on the Yukon River, including Shageluk in odd numbered years, and
one eight (8) hour stop at White Mountain.

I guess we will see!
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby mira » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:41 pm

I think that was the case last time, I have to check this
mira

Postby flowerpower » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:51 pm

I'm off to bed, so hopefully this will be solved by the time I wake up. :D Morning Mira!
flowerpower

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk