Volunteers looking to help out

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Volunteers looking to help out

Postby Fronteering » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:46 pm

Hi there,

I’m Miranda and I work with an international Exchange Organization based in Vancouver. We run a volunteer program and work together with many wildlife projects and also several husky ranches/dog sled organizations in BC, Ontario, AB and the Yukon. Volunteering at an organization/kennel like yours has been very popular and although we already work with 8 organizations similar as yours we still get more requests than we have available volunteer spaces.
About our volunteers:
Our volunteers are between the age of 19-35 and are mostly from Europe: Germany, Switzerland, Denmark, The Netherlands, UK and also from Australia & New Zealand. All our volunteers speak English well or have English as their native mother tongue. So far all our volunteers have had dog related experience in their life (this can be a requirement). In general, they are motivated, flexible, open minded, hardworking, willing to learn and have a great time. If you have specific skill requirements for volunteers, please let me know.
Our volunteers can help with the many operations of your organization: caring for the dogs, cleaning, cooking, chopping wood, trail maintenance, etc.
Important to note is that there are no contracts involved and we will not charge you any fees. Also there are no obligations if a volunteer turns out to not be a good match (let's say the person is lazy) then the volunteer can be released and we will make sure to take care of the person and find him/her something suitable. We also work around your minimum requirements, for example some of our host organizations prefer they have volunteer for a minimum of 4 weeks to a maximum of 6 weeks while other organizations prefer to have volunteers between 8 - 12 weeks. Lastly I should mention that it is important that there is a possibility for accommodation for the volunteer (With some hosts they stay in their house with others in a separate cabin/trailer or in a nearby homestay). Our volunteers do not have to stay for free and are willing to pay a weekly fee. Most of our hosts we work with charge around 50 - 75 CA$ per week.

If you are interested and you would like more info about the program, please let me know. I am looking forward to your reply and if you have questions please let me know. You can contact me at canada@fronteering.com.
Kind regards,

Miranda Li
Fronteering

Skype ID: fronteering_canada

Return to Mushing Talk