Huslia-Koyukuk-Nulato

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Huslia-Koyukuk-Nulato

Postby mira » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:57 am

Huslia to Koyukuk; distance of 86 miles. After leaving Huslia, you’ll follow the Koyukuk river downstream. At 8 miles you’ll climb the bank on the right. After lakes and flats you’ll climb to begin the Roundabout Mt portage. At 17.5 miles, you’ll get back to the Koyukuk river, Butch Yaska’s cabin is located here. The report is that wood is being hauled to this cabin as well. You’ll drop onto the river and go upstream for 2 miles and cross to begin the portage to “over the hill portage lake”. 1st leaving the river here is narrow, hopefully the trail crew will cut a few trees out of the way to make it safer. From there it’s about 13-14 miles across tundra, flats, lakes, and swamp to the lake. Leaving the lake at 34 mile, there’s a little climb. You’ll travel through some burnt country, then jack spruce country. At about 47 miles you’ll get to a fair sized lake, at 51 miles you’ll get to a really big lake (Coffee Can Lake). About 4 miles past CCL is Louie lake. This year the report is that there may be a wall tent put up next to the trail. If it’s windy out, usually it’s not as bad about midway between the lakes. At 58 miles you’ll cross a small creek, again at 61 miles but you’ll follow it for a little ways and cross. At 63 miles you’ll come to a lake with a shelter cabin on the far side. Leaving here, you’ll portage out to the Koyukuk river at 66 miles from Huslia. You’ll go downstream for almost 3 miles and climb the bank on the left. After a mile you should start following a trappers trail for about 4 miles, coming back to the river for the last time. It’s 10 miles to Koyukuk, all river running.

The mouth of the Koyukuk River, a major tributary, flowing in from the north, with the village of Koyukuk on the northwest bank. Five miles past Koyukuk the river swings south and the right bank becomes a low range of mountains rising to a thousand feet above the river. Nulato is eleven miles past the big bend to the south, on the right (west) bank.
mira

Re: Huslia-Koyukuk-Nulato

Postby mithious » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:03 am

Stats show Nic into Huslia now
Nay, be a Columbus to whole new continents and worlds within you, opening new channels, not of trade, but of thought.
Henry D Thoreau
Happiness depends more on the internal frame of a person's mind than on the externals in the world.
George Washington
mithious

Skype ID: laurie.brown9

Postby elsietee » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:12 pm

Ooooooooooh!!!!!

We may have our "furthest to 24" - it looks like Michelle's tracker is stirring in Huslia after 7:20! (so presumably she took her 8)

Go Michelle! Her team are doing so great this year!
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:44 pm

Uh... maybe a false alarm. She hasn't moved in 8:51, so I'm guessing *is* on her 24 after all.
elsietee

Postby Eggs » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:53 pm

Update: Just heard from Ed via Satellite phone in Husila and he said the dogs were happy, "jumping and barking" when they came through he Checkpoint this morning. Michelle is really happy with her race so far and is resting at the moment in the Church. She has dropped another dog so is racing with 14 strong and healthy dogs. She will be taking her 24 hour rest here. She really enjoyed racing with Jessie on the trail too. Ed wanted to ensure we shared just how kind the town of Husila is, and made mention how the entire town comes out to give a warm welcome to all of the mushers crossing the finish line making them feel like rockstars. He said he's met some great people and everyone opens their homes to the families of the mushers travelling alongside them. Ed also said that he has no cell service at the moment and wants to say hi to everyone back home: Keegan, MC, Niall, Jane, Judy & Josh.
More here: https://www.facebook.com/TagishLakeKenn ... 0088433823
Eggs

Postby mira » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:53 pm

Thanks, great to read.

I guess no one will go pass Huslia for 24, I can't figure out who that should be..

I wonder who will be the first to leave Huslia.

Dallas is 20 miles before Huslia, Joar and Wade is 5-6 miles behind Dallas.

I think Mitch will be first out, but I am not sure
mira

Postby libby the lab » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:28 pm

Wade is first out of Huslia!!!
Cindy, Anna Banana and Link-de
RIP Libby and Hank

http://www.dockdogs.com
http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org
libby the lab

Postby Happy2BeHere » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:36 pm

Well Hello there race fans! Just checking in. If I may say, a very intriguing top ten here - golly glad to see some of those folks in the top ten :D
Happy2BeHere

Postby elsietee » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:37 pm

Dammit! The standings don't even have him *in* to Huslia yet... did he go right through? Is Jake B correct, and he's going half way to Koyukuk?
elsietee

Postby mamamia » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:39 pm

HA! Wade went through Huslia! I was wondering if he or Dallas would do it but I didn't dare type it. It is still early in the evening, they have had plenty of rest on the trail and there is a cabin stocked with firewood only 17 miles down trail. My thoughts were that it would tell us a lot about the quality of their teams if they were to go through or stay. It is worth noting that Wade rested 4 hours at his last stop whereas Dallas rested only a little over 2 hours. Go Wade!
mamamia

Next

Return to Mushing Talk