Kaltag - Unalakleet

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Kaltag - Unalakleet

Postby mamamia » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:13 pm

Daniel wrote:Yeah, it's great fun for us to watch such a close race.

I am not sure, what Dallas is doing atm? Short runs, very short rests? But definitely to early to count him out.

I think Dallas is trying to figure out a way to beat his dad. Everyone expected him to run through Unalaklet and do the race up the coast in three runs.Jake Berkowitz lays this strategy out nicely in this article https://www.adn.com/outdoors-adventure/ ... wn-seavey/ But Dallas didn't do that. He stopped and rested. That tells me that Dallas is thinking. If you can't beat the other musher running his same schedule then you have to run a different one. The only other way is to cut rest up the coast but if he doesn't go into it with plenty of rest in the bank his team will crash and burn. We have seen it happen plenty of times most recently when Brent's team quit in WM after he cut rest chasing the Seaveys up the coast last year. He knows that with plenty of rest he can not only go faster ( or at least match Mitch's speed) but he might be able to cut enough rest to catch him. He is hoping that Mitch's blazing speeds have taken its toll on the team and that he will slow down. If he can catch him then Dallas' athleticism will win the day because Mitch doesn't run behind a sled.
mamamia

Postby mira » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:11 am

Look at the field on the portage..

Shaktoolik 758

Mitch 758
Dallas 751
Joar 747
Nicolas 744
Wade 742
Jessie 727

Unalakleet 718

Aliy 717
Ray 711
Michelle 697
Peter 696
Jason 691
Ralph 689
Mats 687
Richie 687
John Baker 686
Sebastien Vergnaud 685
Katherine Keith 682
Jeff King 678
Noah 677
Paul G. 675
Scott 674
Lars 673
Hugh 669
Ramey 667
Rick 660
Robert 653
Cody 652
Ken 651
Hans G 648
Ketil 646
Linwood 645

Kaltag 633
mira

Postby elsietee » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:24 am

Found this on my FB "memories today:

March 14, 2014 at 12:54am ·
Heart-warming story from Unalakleet from Terrie Hanke on Iditarod.com:
"Last year when Matt [Failor] came into the checkpoint, a Facebook fan from Florida had made arrangement with Peace on Earth Pizza of Unalakleet to deliver a pizza for Matt. [This year,] With Failor departing the checkpoint in just five minutes, I briefly wondered about pizza again this year.
But there was pizza. Five pizzas had been delivered to the checkpoint for Matt! Five Peace on Earth pizzas would feed twenty very hungry friends. Matt was gone and there were the pizzas. Happy Birthday Matt was written on one of the boxes. We took pictures to show Matt in Nome and then the volunteers and mushers in the checkpoint celebrated Matt’s birthday. There was also a phone number on a box, so one of the comms people called the number to let them know the pizzas had arrived, that Matt had gone on through but they were being devoured in his absence.
The story that came back from that phone call connected the pizza delivered last year with the pizza delivered this year. The fan that had sent the pizza in 2013 had since passed away from complications of diabetes. Friends or hers decided to pick up on the idea and send pizzas this year. They intend to make it a tradition to honor their departed friend and make Failor’s stop in Unalakleet special. There were at least three hungry mushers in the checkpoint, Mike Williams Jr., Paul Gebhardt and Nic Petit that really appreciated being a part of the new Failor Pizza Tradition."

Matt and fellow kennel partne Michael Baker currently dashing towards Old Woman Cabin at 9 mph... should get to the pizza in time for Matt's birthday.
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby Heidi » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:33 am

That's so sweet Elsie. So cool that the lady's friends continued the pizza tradition.
Heidi

Postby elsietee » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:27 am

Heidi wrote:That's so sweet Elsie. So cool that the lady's friends continued the pizza tradition.

I don't know if they still do - but it wouldn't surprise me. Hopefully ID still have someone in Unk to report.
elsietee

Postby tanglefoot » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:35 am

thats awesome

hope they still do deliver them, i remember we were going to sponsor a prize of pizza for the first to Unk each year, cant remember why but was it rejected?
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby elsietee » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:39 am

tanglefoot wrote:thats awesome

hope they still do deliver them, i remember we were going to sponsor a prize of pizza for the first to Unk each year, cant remember why but was it rejected?

Because the "first to Unk" now gets $3,500 in gold? ;)

Interestingly - and I think I heard correctly, but couldn't rewind (was driving) - when Wade and Nic came in to Unk, they were only three minutes apart and I *think* Nic said "If only I hadn't stopped to pick up his* thermos, I'd be $3,500 richer now!". Did Wade drop his thermos?

(* it might have been "my thermos" - would have to listen again to hear for sure).
elsietee

Postby tanglefoot » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:47 am

was this thermos elsie, he was holding it in the video, filling it and packing it into his sled when being interviewed. :)
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby mira » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:35 pm

tanglefoot wrote:thats awesome

We had different ideas.. for instance sponsor pizza for all rookies or the first rookie. We were unsure if this would come into the "getting outside help stuff".. and also the logistics involved... and while we debated this, this happened and we kind of thought this was already done. Or something like that.
mira

Previous

Return to Mushing Talk