Unalakleet - Shaktoolik - Koyuk

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Unalakleet - Shaktoolik - Koyuk

Postby mira » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:04 am

Joar and Dallas is resting at the shelter cabin.

Mitch is 9 miles ahead of Joar and Dallas, 8 before Nicolas Petit.

Wade is still resting in Shaktoolik, Jessie is 3 miles before shaktoolik
mira

Postby mamamia » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:17 am

It is worth mentioning that Joar ran 10 hours from his last rest to the shelter cabin. His speed into Shak ws not as fast as the Seavey's but better than Wade and Nic. He will need to hunker down at that cabin for a few hours before setting off across the ice. The weather in Shaktoolik is mild with winds of only 10mph so conditions at the cabin should be favorable. When the wind is up it can be pretty brutal.
mamamia

Postby mamamia » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:26 am

Nic is chasing Mitch out over the ice. Current standings still show him in Shaktoolik. He rested 5 hours in Unk but it seems the push across the portagfe from Kaltag may have taken a little of the zip out of his team. His time was 4th fastest into Shak. But he is on the ice headed to Kaltag.
mamamia

Postby mamamia » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:29 am

Aily has left Unk after about a 4.0 hour rest. Jessie is in Shak. Current standings haven't updated their times.
mamamia

Postby Milehigh » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:46 am

Thanks everyone for the morning updates.
Milehigh

Postby mamamia » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:05 am

looking at the videos...

Mitch's team looked amazing! One would think they had just been out for a little training run. Joar's team looked very perky. I thought Dallas' team looked a little flat. They looked fine but had that look of dogs that had been racing... still strong but not frisky. Nick's team looked good but not quite as animated as they once were. Nick was only a little bit grumpy. At the end of Joar's video as he is leaving he suddenly stops and gets off his sled presumably to adjust something but then the edit shows him giving a small person (child?) a big hug and he jumps back on his sled and vanishes into the night.
mamamia

Postby mira » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:25 am

mamamia wrote:It is worth mentioning that Joar ran 10 hours from his last rest to the shelter cabin. His speed into Shak ws not as fast as the Seavey's but better than Wade and Nic. He will need to hunker down at that cabin for a few hours before setting off across the ice. The weather in Shaktoolik is mild with winds of only 10mph so conditions at the cabin should be favorable. When the wind is up it can be pretty brutal.

Regarding Joar, that's why I somewhere wrote that I was a bit worried but excited.. :)

The weather forecast at the moment for the region Shaktoolik - Koyuk is nice, shouldn't be big problems for the teams in front.
mira

Postby mira » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:28 am

Koyuk 808

Mitch 798 (9.8)
Nicolas Petit 788 (6.4 mph)
Dallas 773
Joar 773
Wade 758
Jessie 758
Aliy 725 (6.8)
Ray 722 (9.2)
Peter 721 (7.4)

...and then a bunch in Uanalakleet.
mira

Postby mira » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:34 am

I'm trying to compute some run/rest, but I don't think this is telling us much.. My first attempt got me this:

Dallas Seavey, total rest in cp: 51:11, total time enroute: 106:09
Mitch Seavey, total rest in cp: 59:54, total time enroute: 97:52
Joar Leifseth Ulsom, total rest in cp: 48:14, total time enroute: 109:02
Wade Marrs, total rest in cp: 57:31, total time enroute: 100:53
Jessie Royer, total rest in cp: 49:25, total time enroute: 105:12
Nicolas Petit, total rest in cp: 64:08, total time enroute: 93:56
Peter Kaiser, total rest in cp: 50:52, total time enroute: 110:07
Ray Redington Jr, total rest in cp: 48:56, total time enroute: 108:22
Aliy Zirkle, total rest in cp: 51:30, total time enroute: 108:15

I haven't time to double check this at the moment.. have to get home to make some dinner :)

Edited to say, this computation I can easily do for any musher on trail.
mira

Postby mamamia » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:48 am

The trail across the ice must be good. Mitch is flying at 9.3 mph. I replayed the tracker to compare Mitch's and Nick's speed. The spot where Nick is now he is traveling 7.6 mph. Mitch traveled that same section at 8.7 mph.

Jessie's video is up but you can't get a really good look ath her dogs coming in. They still haven't updated her time on the current standings page. The video did show her bedding down her dogs. She probably ran about 7.5 hours into Shak.
mamamia

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk