Tales of Old: The Old World Meets the New Part 1

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Tales of Old: The Old World Meets the New Part 1

Postby Frozen Chosen » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:43 pm

In the hearts and minds of many today, the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race commemorates the achievement of man and animal, the challenge between sled dog mushers, the extreme northern elements, the endurance across hundreds of miles of ice, snow, bitter cold, biting wind. And yes, it commemorates that diphtheria epidemic of 1925, where, in the far distant gold rush town of Nome, a virus was threatening to annihilate the lives of young children. In addition to this, a Norwegian gold miner turned musher, Leonard Seppala, is often cited.

You see, Seppala mushed his team close to 100 miles from Nome toward the southern Seward Peninsula village of Shaktoolik, where he met a local Inupiat musher Henry Ivanoff. Just outside of this humble Native Alaskan hamlet, Ivanoff passed on the vital serum anti-toxin to Seppala. As the Norwegian musher headed north back toward Nome, the temperatures reached -30f, the gale force winds lowering the wind chill to close to -85 degrees!

West of Golovin, along the coast, a local musher Charlie Olson passed on the serum to another Norwegian, Gunnar Kaasen at a place named Bluff, which lies just east of Safety Sound. Interestingly, in many ways, Safety seems, especially in winter, a euphemism. For you see, here is where the coastal winds often are the most severe and vicious. Just a few years ago, musher Jeff King, who was confidently on his way to his 5th Iditarod win, hit this “blow hole” during a violent storm and he and his team could do nothing but hunker down, fortunately, next to a pile of drift wood. (This drift wood, most of it comes from the vast and long Yukon River, where it makes it way north all across the Bering Sea coast from St. Michael to Nome to the tip of the Cape Prince of Wales).

Kaasen, who completed the last leg of the Serum Run, drove 13 dogs across this vicious storm led by a dog named Balto. Today, a variety of children’s books commemorating this Siberian Husky can be found in your local libraries and if you have the time, you can visit a statue of this famous husky in New York City’s Central Park!

To be continued...
Whaz zup...
Frozen Chosen

Re: Tales of Old: The Old World Meets the New Part 1

Postby Frozen Chosen » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:18 pm

PART II

Here in the Americas, the “New” World, much attention is focused on one year, 1492. Synonymous with this date is “Columbus Day”, and even a group of settlers named the Pilgrims get in on the focus. Then of course, the “Indians”, which in a real way, is a misnomer brought on by one of the biggest bungles of “history”: This man/seafarer Columbus, who in 1492 sailed across the “Ocean Blue”, from the “Old” to the New World believed he had reached the Spice Islands of the Indian Ocean! Talk about a bungle, not only in history, but also geographically. But you know, I’m not going to disparage this explorer, who despite the odds, crossed a vast uncharted seaway, only believing that somewhere “out there” beyond known borders was a Promise Land, filled with gold, spices, and maybe even a Waterfall that brought one back in time, mentally and physically, to an Eternal Youth.

Even I as a child, yes from Grade One at the Teller (Alaska) State School, we learned about this famous explorer, the three sister ships (Nina, Pinta, and Santa Maria), how Columbus befriended the inhabitants of this “New” land that he decided to call “Indians” since he believed the expedition had reached a group of Islands in East Asia called the “Indies”.
Much time in class my first several years, yes through the first 6-7 years, was making paper cut outs of these ships, Pilgrim hats, and hand-traced turkeys. Interestingly, these early October assignments still stand vividly in my mind, even after all these decades. I don’t remember the teachers per se (as there was a great deal of turn over even back then), but I clearly remember reading excerpts of The Voyage Across the Ocean Blue, the stacks of thick colored paper, the scissors. Then trying to decide the order of the three ships as they gallantly sailed into this unknown…

So, most of my life, I’ve known a lot about the East Coast of North America, and am inundated with its history beyond Columbus: the 13 Colonies, Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, Emancipation Proclamation, the New Deal, the Great Plains and the Dust Bowl, the Chicago Cubs, and the infamous New England Pats.… what I have known very little about is the Western half of this great continent we call home…the Pacific Northwest, the Yukon Territories, and yes, this Last Frontier, Seward’s Ice Box we call Alaska.
Even less known, are the origins, and lifestyles, of the inhabitants of this Great Frozen Land: not only the ones we call “Indigenous” or “Native”, but also the Newcomers who, over the last two centuries, swarmed over this distant, desolate, “wasteland”. Who were the Cheechako’s vs. the Sourdoughs. And how about the Seekers of Fortune: of gold, whale oil, and fur…

Fur…now that strikes a chord…maybe we can start here…you see, there’s a tale that’s almost never been told, and it concerns this material. You see, before whale oil, gold, and even black oil were the primary sources of commerce and trade across the globe, the pelts of a whole variety of animals were what drove men to forsake nearly all they were familiar with to travel across rivers, valleys, mountain ranges, and yes oceans and continents. All for the pursuit of this valuable commodity: marten hat, sealskin vest, squirrel parka, beaver skin mittens…
Whaz zup...
Frozen Chosen

Postby Heidi » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:20 pm

Keep going, Froze! I'm enjoying your tales as always.

...the Chicago Cubs... 8-) :lol:
Heidi

Postby flowerpower » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:21 pm

:D :D Keep 'em coming. And I agree, far to little about the history of the North and the indigenous peoples.
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Re: Tales of Old: The Old World Meets the New Part 1, 2, N

Postby Frozen Chosen » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:42 pm

The Old World Meets the New: Part 3

Wild animal fur pelts have been utilized for millennia by societies across the globe: from half-naked tribes along the equator to loosely connected clans across the northern extremes surrounding the Arctic Circle; from so-called civilized societies of Northeastern Africa and the Mediterranean Sea to the savaged nomadic Inuit and northern Cree across the Canadian plains. Fur not only meant warmth and shelter, but also prestige and, of course, wealth.

You see, in many ways, prestige and wealth are what define humanity. Prestige not only means prominence, but also honor, respect, influence. Wealth builds and supports prestige, but it also means that society, family, and clans will have the ability to survive and maybe expand, not only territory, but also the important aspects that comprise culture. We see all this today, yes indeed, seems like more in a negative light as we see multi-national corporations taking these two very human and vital attributes to heights once unimaginable, and unfortunately, to lengths that tend to leave certain aspects of society lacking in even the necessities of life.

Well, I’m getting carried away. But you see everything has a beginning; something started somewhere. Let’s take for example the story of the first humans (in Jewish and Christian circles) who lived, survived, and nurtured what the Scriptures called the Garden of Eden. The Man and Woman were instructed to live and tend to this garden. They were instructed to eat of a variety of fruit and herbs, however, there was one tree they were not to eat from. And of course, as most of us know, the man and woman did otherwise. What was their demise as a result? Well, according to Scripture, the “eyes” of humanity were “opened” (I believe these two words have a lot of meaning we cannot discuss here), and as a result, they realized they were “naked”, so the man and woman clothed their selves with plant leaves. After the consequences were stated to them by their Maker, what He did next is very intriguing to me: He clothed them with skins!

In my side of the world, we have a story somewhat related to this. It’s told by my Uncle William Oquilluk in his book The People of Kawerak. You see, many societies have their story of not only how humanity began, but also the various tragedies and struggles each has gone through over the last several thousands of years…

Frozen
Whaz zup...
Frozen Chosen

Re: Tales of Old: The Old World Meets the New pt 1 to

Postby Frozen Chosen » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:46 pm

Part 4

In the “People of Kauwerak: Legends of the Northern Eskimo”, the author William Oquilluk speaks of a time when this tribe lived in an environment very much like the First Man and Woman in the Garden of Eden. There was no need for shelter, not need for clothing, and indeed, as life was very comfortable and everything was available for food and sustenance, there was no real need to think, to exercise your brain. The surrounding ecosystem of this world, it seemed, was like a cocoon, an embryo where all that one needed to live was readily available.

Then one day, a prophet appeared on the scene. His name was Aungayoukuksuk. I believe this name means “wise age-old man” in Inupiat. The prophet came to another man, Ekeuhnick, who grew to be the first leader of a people, an Inuit tribe who would become what we call today the Kauwerah-miut, the People of Kawerak.

Ekeuhnick had nearly all the qualities necessary to not only become a leader, but also who was regarded as one, not only by his contemporaries, but also in the ages to come right to the day William heard the name of this man uttered by a wise elderly story-teller of the Kauwerak basin. For one, he listened when his parents and others spoke, and listened carefully to what they had to say. For another, he acted on the Spoken word, investigating not only the facts, but also considered the meaning(s). You see, Ekeuhnick was one of the first, at least among his people, to begin to use his mental faculties. In fact, he believed that it was time mankind began to think, to consider, to plan. Ekeuhnick did not take his comfortable surroundings for granted, and in fact, desired to move on from this state of bliss…Ekeuhnick wanted birth, if not a second birth if you will.

The desire that this man had in his heart and mind did not go unheeded. You see, Ekeuhnick had his destiny laid out for him. Aungayoukuksuk, the prophet knew this before the child was born. In fact, it was he, the prophet, who gave Ekeuhnick his name.

One day, Ekeuhnick hiked up to a mountain top that his father years before told him about. In fact, Ekeuhnick traveled to this mountain many times, to observe the clear, cool springs that flowed from it, to study and enjoy the variety of birds and animals that drank from this spring. And to look over the horizon, over the mountain top to an area, a place his people had never ventured to. Years before, his father had shared that no one ever thought of venturing out to this area. Well, one day, Ekeuhnick did, and you know, it changed not only his life, but the lives of his people…forever.

Post script: you can read about this on Alaska School website: http://www.alaskool.org/native_ed/histo ... rak_pp.htm

Frozen
Whaz zup...
Frozen Chosen

Postby Frozen Chosen » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:13 pm

Part 5

In the book “People of Kauwerak: Legends of the Northern Eskimo”, William Oquilluk speaks of at least 3 disasters that would befall this tribe of Northern people. He speaks of a prophet suddenly appearing one day, choosing a leader, Ekeuhnick, who would pave the way to a new life far away in another land. This land is where I am from, where I was born. Once, years ago, it provided for several hundred of this tribe: migratory birds, the seemingly eternal caribou, fur-bearing animals including Canis Lupus, the gray wolf, and yes, fish of all sorts, tastes, and sizes!

In the last century, the land of Kauwerak was known for its whole variety of salmon, the burbot, Siiu-liq (the northern pike), and of course Sig’liq’taq (white fish, of which there are at least 3 species in the area). As a child, our families spent summers gill netting for salmon, drying them on racks made of the drift wood. The wood is collected along the northern Bering Sea coast, where it washes ashore, piling for miles upon miles. Much of this material is birch, spruce, and cottonwood, drifting down the long, mysterious Yukon River, spilling out into the Bering Sea.

Anyway, this is the home of the Kauwera-miut, and has been for hundreds, if not a few thousand years. The man Ekeuhnick led our ancestors here to this rich, land of plenty. But you know, it took a series of disasters to get us here. To live in an embryonic environment, where everything is provided for, as we see in this age old tale, leads humanity to complacency, into a gutter of nothingness. It took a prophet, and yes our leaders who were wise to listen to the aged elderly Aungayoukuksuk. You know, our people may need another prophet, again, today. We may need one’s willing to heed The Voice, heed the Warnings, heed the Call. And it has to come from amongst our own. No one else can do this for us.

Here I go again…I’m trying to tell this tale about how our people came to use fur, the skins of wild animals, for their clothing, for shelter, for wealth and prestige…and you know, it took a disaster for this to happen! And not just any ole disaster…this, according to William Oquilluk’s book was the First Disaster!

Frozen
Whaz zup...
Frozen Chosen

Postby fladogfan » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:03 am

"A railroad only fourteen miles away ended at a station called Bunker Hill. The train was sometimes powered by steam, and other times it was pulled by dog team"

Thank you Froz, I've gotten the Forward and Prolog read and will read the rest day by day. This is very interesting to me, to learn about people.

BTW today is the 121st anniversary of William Oquilluk's birth, March 27, 1896.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Frozen Chosen » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:11 am

Part 6

The prophet Aungayoukuksuk came at a time when the people of Kauwerak needed direction, impetus, and vision. Ekeuhnick was told that global change was imminent, that there would be two events leading to the First Disaster. The wise aged Man imparted two gifts to Ekeuhnick: the Power of Imagination and the Power of Wisdom, saying that these were necessary for the survival of the Kauwera’miu people.

First, there would be an earthquake, then an explosion of the mountain nearby, causing life to incinerate and die in the area. The people had to move and it was up to Ekeuhnick to lead them to a new place, and new land. William Oquilluk continues:

"You will find a country beyond that mountain. Take one of your men with you and go investigate it. You will like it. On your way the Power of Wisdom will be with you and you will be amazed at the things you will see every step you make. You will become an expert person about the changed way of living. You will find different and new resources to bring to your people that they will use. You must reside there beyond the mountain for a few months until you find a land to reserve for your people's use." 1

Much like Moses directed a select group of men to investigate the Promised Land, Ekeuhnick was to scout out this land to see for him whether the prophet words were fact or fiction.
The old man said: "You have to go to that mountain. It will take a long time to reach it. There, no people are living. On the way to that mountain, on every day's journey, you will learn and discover many useful things. You will take advantage of the country as you pass through. You will learn how to help others with their problems from the things you will see and learn on the journey.

"All the thinking you will do will come in the form of Imagination. It will help you to find new ways to live and to make those ways useful by thinking about things in images. You must use your imagination all ways. You must make it begin to work and to picture things for you. It will make your journey easier for you.”
Thus, Aungayoukuksuk imparted these gifts to the leader, and with these, Ekeuhnick began, bit by bit, and individual by individual to teach his people to learn new tasks, invent and create new tools and ideas, and most importantly, to think, to consider. Then one day the Disaster struck. Would the People of Kauwerak wilt under the terrible consequences of this Disaster, or would they come out, bolder and stronger…

1 People of Kauwerak; William A. Oquilluk, Laurel L. Bland
Alaska Pacific University Press, Jan 1, 1981
Whaz zup...
Frozen Chosen

Postby flowerpower » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:51 am

:D :D :D
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Return to Mushing Talk