Nome finish line

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Nome finish line

Postby Heidi » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:57 pm

elsietee wrote:21st - Jason - 03/15, 6:19 pm - 9 dogs

"...It was good... it was great... until after Huslia. And then .... well, I... ...I anticipated to get to the front of the pack and stay at the front of the pack, but I didn't realise, really, what it *took* to stay at the front. And the team wasn't prepared to stay at the front, so I backed off. It was either back off in Nulato, or take them to the airport and that wasn't an option. So that's how it ended up.

It was a good race. I anticipated a little bit more, but wasn't prepared ...so next year I *will* be prepared..."

Good job, Team Mackey! Will be rooting for him next year! :)
Heidi

Postby Eggs » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:27 pm

elsietee wrote:Remind me again - was it Lars or Matts who was running some of Brent's dogs? I looked at both their vids this morning, and saw dogs in both teams that could have been Brent's.
Mats has some Sassy dogs. https://www.facebook.com/mim.tuto/posts ... 8376252955
elsietee wrote:<sponsored by the unfortunately-named "VOM" frozen dog food> :lol:
Eggs

Postby fladogfan » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:16 pm

Sebastien - 03/15, 8:27 pm - 8 dogs

<fast-trotting dogs decked out in neon green coats and booties>

. These 8 dogs are very strong. Four of them are only 2.5 yrs old. My black leader - I don't know, but she is probably one of the oldest dogs in the ID - she is 10.5 years old. And she do all the race with me for 10 years and nothing happen to her and I always want to take her before retire. She keeps training puppies to go to Nome.
So nice Sebastian was able to do his dream. Now Seb's trainer dog knows where the pups she helped train went
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby elsietee » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:29 pm

fladogfan wrote: My black leader - ...she do all the race with me for 10 years and nothing happen to her and I always want to take her before retire. She keeps training puppies to go to Nome.

I typed this verbatim - didn't want to make any assumptions as to what he was actually saying, but in this case, I believe the translation would be something like:

"I'd always hoped that I'd be able to get my black lead dog to Nome, and here she is, showing the younger dogs how to do it".
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby fladogfan » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:31 pm

:D sounds good to me elsie
I'm glad you type it verbatim, sounds like the person.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Alaska61 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:16 pm

Thanks for all the posts/updates elsietee. Much appreciated.
Retired and loving every second of it
Alaska61

Postby elsietee » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:07 pm

I can't keep up! They need to slow down!

Next round of vids:

29th - Noah Burmeister - 3/16, 2:29 am - 8 dogs

<Noah looks tired>
<wife(?) "I'm SO proud of you! SO proud of you!">

It was long, a little rough at times. I ended up coming in with a lot fewer dogs than I would have liked, but part of racing and it happens.

I'm proud of these two little leaders up front - Kayana and Sellowic (sp?) - and Zephania - she's turning into a pretty amazing little leader. She ran a bunch of lead for me the last three or four days - she's just a little monster. And Sarah back tehre, she's a pretty amazing two year old.

<hungry snacking dogs>

30th - Cody Strathe - 3/16, 2:34 am - 10 dogs

<dogs all alert, tails up>
<Cody was born and raised in Ireland (?)(really?)>
It was a good trip - lots of challenges along the way, but it was fun. Dogs did great, really proud of my young dogs and happy to be here. Will be thinking about future races.

Q: Did you have fun coming in here?

yes, we were all travelling together and playing around. Kind of fun. <laughs>

Bouncing back and forth throughout the night - just passed him [Ketil, presumably] back there, gave my dogs the command to "go home" and they went <phffffft> [arrow sound, I can't type] to Nome. It rhymes with "home".

Q: about what to change?

Uh, there's a lot of things. Every day I made mistakes and I'm goign to have to process it all. I made a lot of mistakes adn have a lot of new ideas.

<dogs lunging in their harnesses, jumping, screaming to go>

31st - Ketil Reitan - 3/16, 2:48 am - 10 dogs

It was a fantastic race - surprisingly good trail adn we had good weather, lots of good company along the trail. Very nice to see the new route up to Huslia - never been up there before, so a fantastic race.
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:09 pm

32nd - Martin Buser - 3/16, 3:14 am - 11 dogs

<noisy cheering crowd, despite the hour>
<Martin in very good spirits>

Nice welcome! <he then taunts his wife who's glasses are all steamed up> She's all fogged up!

What a great race! What an awesome race!!!

This was a fantastically frustrating race, but it ends a four year streak of finishing with more questions than answers. This year I found a bunch of answers out on the trail, so that's what satistying about this trip - I think I solved about four years of mystery in my team, and in my life, and in my relationships - all kinds of different things that need to be rectified and answers a whole bunch of things that have been going on.

But I've got those old fashioned dogs that like to eat, sleep, and run fast, so I just had to get them well again. And once I got them healthy, they could motor a little bit. But I've got to change a bunch of stuff with them. It's never the dogs' fault of course. They can live up to my expectations if I do it right.

Rohn is here, but the older one is not here. But that's oK, we don't expect them to be at the finish line. And I'd rather have Rohn at the finish line than be suffering out on the trail somewhere.

<complains about the clipboard "nothing is made for left-hander, eh?" <laughs>>

33rd - Melissa Stewart - 3/16, 8:05 am - 12 dogs

<fast trotting dogs in blue coats>
<someone hands Melissa a phone>
<dog trying to fit an enormous slab of snack in sideways - jaws gaping>

This was an AWESOME run! Couldn't ask for a better run. These guys are phenomenal. They were just such a pleasure to work with - and this guy <pulls a dog over> is nothing but a super star - he led all but two run. This is Loyalty...

<dogs checking for any leftover snacks as they leave the chute>

34th - Scott Smith - 3/16, 8:26 am - 7 dogs

<huge ruff on his parka... filthy white wind pants :) >
I'm not happy with this race at all, but we're here.

It's a small crew, but it's a good crew. It's kind of cool driving a small team. I've never had a team this small before, it's pretty impressive to see what they can do. You get down to the nuts and bolts of the dog team - the core or the heart of the team - and this is exactly that.

I lost a lot of young, talented dogs through sickness or injury - or whatever - and they'll be great in the future, but the dogs in this team - except for one little two year old female who made it - they've been with me for a long time, so it's kind of cool "bringing these guys home" so to speak.

<Dogs taking a nap, sitting up in his coat, in harness>
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:10 pm

35th - Nathan Schroeder - 3/16, 9:08 am - 9 dogs

<Huge black dog as one of the leaders>
<Nathan very subdued, frosty eyelashes. Frosty beards on the dogs>

It was a good race. Everything went well. I was a little nervous racing when we got that stomach bug, so I backed off, but I still think we did it under ten days.

The dogs just got better as we went - tough as nails. A bit slow this last 25 miles - but so am I. <laughs>

36th - Nicolas Vanier - 3/16, 9:40 - 14 dogs

<someone ringing a cow bell to greet his long stream of dogs>
<Sunrise in the background>
<kisses the dogs faces and rubs them>
<can't tell if he's red eyed because he's teary, or because he's weather beaten>

It was great -very nice people, very nice organisation, very nice trail. Everything was just great. I have been very lucky with the weather - no wind so it was just wonderful.

I'm very proud - look they want to go! <dogs are wowling in the background> I'm very happy.

37th - Seth Barnes - 3/16, 10:33 am - 10 dogs

<Seth whistling to the dogs>
It was awesome. Got to travel with some really cool people, some really cool dogs, learn I lot more than I thought. I just told Mark "How fast is this race going to get?". We had a lot of fun, hope to do it again.

Extremely proud - we had a lot of two year olds - extremely proud of them. I don't know how to even start - to them from almost birth to now - they've come a long way.
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:11 pm

38th - Karin Hendrickson - 3/16, 12:52 pm - 10 dogs

<fast trotting under the arch>
<some people greet her with scandanavian (?) accents - is that why she's "Kaar-in", not "Ca-rin"?>

They did really good. I had a dog who's not usually a race leader, step up and finish out for us.

Q: What's him or her name?

Pinetop! He's been a leader in training, but he hasn't led during races - he kind of doesn't get into it, but coming through the final ten miles or so, my main leader was "Ah, I think I'm done, I'll just screw around, and mess around, and take weird corners", so I put him up and he cruised right in, so that was kind of fun.

39th - Allen Moore - 3/16 1:24 pm - 14 dogs

<dogs look amazing, streaming under the arch>
<Bridgett(?) instructing a child handler that "you can get the ice off their mouths too">

Best trail, best weather - wow, can't ask for better than that. Didn't have any major storms - it went pretty smooth.

I always have the old, the young, and the cripples - that's what I get - and they did great. I mean, 15... the other one I just dropped in WM - he wasn't eating, so I almost got 15 here, but these 14 are happy.
elsietee

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk