POINT OF ORDER QUESTION

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

POINT OF ORDER QUESTION

Postby MelanieGouldFanBrian » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:30 am

I HAVE A POINT OF ORDER QUESTION

So Dallas Seavey arrives in Nome in second place, BUT he does not have his Vet Book which IS a required item according to ITC rule #16  

"Rule 16 -- Mandatory Items: A musher must have with him/her in the front sled, at all times the following items: Veterinarian notebook, to be presented to the veterinarian at each checkpoint."

5 minutes later Nic Petit crosses the finish in third place and has brought Dallas's Vet book which Dallas had left at Safety.
Shouldn't Nic, who has arrived with ALL his mandatory items be checked in as the official 2nd place finisher according to the rules?

cornfused..jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You ought to be thankful, a whole heaping lot, for the places and people you're lucky you're not."
Dr. Seuss
MelanieGouldFanBrian

Re: POINT OF ORDER QUESTION

Postby fladogfan » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:39 am

Sounds good to me.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby MelanieGouldFanBrian » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:44 am

I suppose I already know what the answer will be from the official standpoint, but the words "at all times" seem to me to be the relevant ones.
You ought to be thankful, a whole heaping lot, for the places and people you're lucky you're not."
Dr. Seuss
MelanieGouldFanBrian

Postby MelanieGouldFanBrian » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:54 am

I mean technically, if Nic had not brought it with him, Dallas would be required to go back and get it before he could be checked in. Right? How many have had to go back to retrieve their axe or take a penalty in the past!
Dr. Seuss
MelanieGouldFanBrian

Postby fladogfan » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:08 am

True.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Heidi » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:40 am

I was discussing this with someone last night.

Exactly WHAT is the penalty for arriving under the Burled Arch without a mandatory item? Let's say Nic had caught up to Dallas and handed him the vet book BEFORE reaching the arch, then I don't see a problem with the finish order. But it's clear that didn't happen. Sure, Dallas hadn't been officially checked in, however he had crossed the finish line.

What's the point of rules in a race if they are haphazardly enforced? Something doesn't seem right about this. :?

If there are no consequences, then I guess from now on mushers can make their own decisions about what to carry or not carry.
Heidi

Postby mira » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:46 am

But does iditarod hand out time penalties?

When Robert Sørlie lost some of his mandatory gear in 2014 he got a fine.
mira

Postby mira » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:50 am

According to the rules, you get a fine if the rule infraction has no competitive advantage.

Time penalties is given if there has been a competitive advantage.
mira

Postby CynCyn37 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:59 am

From listening to the video, Dallas said something about the lady being new and not a vet. Seems like they have a controversy every year.
CynCyn37

Skype ID: CynCyn37

Postby Heidi » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:06 am

That would make sense Mira. In that case, he should be fined. (If the rules apply to Robert they should apply to everyone else.)

I just looked at the ITC's Facebook page and there are plenty of people none too happy. A few blame the Safety checker, but it appears most think Dallas should've verified he had all required items upon leaving the checkpoint.
Heidi

Next

Return to Mushing Talk