What the Iditarod means to me

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

What the Iditarod means to me

Postby Milehigh » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:22 am

Iditarod

What the Iditarod means to me.
Like all things in life, there is never just one overriding reason to feel about a certain thing. No black and white. The Iditarod is no exception, but maybe the greatest expression of the rule. Mostly, to me, it is about athletic endeavor and love. And how, at times, they can be one in the same.
Appreciation of athletic endeavor is hard wired into everyone. It can be expressed anywhere from a baby struggling to pull itself up to a standing position for the first time to an elderly person refusing help and getting out of a chair or climb up a flight of stairs. And everything in between. We are naturally drawn to it and all its facets and forms, from day to day living to so many sports and recreation. Or re-creation if you would like.
This athletic endeavor is on great display in this event. Each musher and team pushing their own limitations, testing their abilities and strengths, doing their best for themselves and the team. For themselves and the team. Not against any other team.
And for love of the team. Love is on full display during this great happening. Mutual love from mushers and their dogs. Expressed family love is everywhere. And love and appreciation of mushers for one another.
The Iditarod was made by an athletic endeavor for love of fellow man. And continues. To miss that is missing the whole point.
This is what the Iditarod means to me. I root for each and every team. I have purposely not used the term race or competition because that is not what it is to me. There are no losers. All winners when viewed as an endeavor. Which I am sure how the teams view it.
Milehigh

Re: What the Iditarod means to me

Postby Heidi » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:54 pm

8-) Thanks for sharing, MH. :)
Heidi

Return to Mushing Talk