CINDY ABBOTT'S INSPIRATIONAL BOOK

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

CINDY ABBOTT'S INSPIRATIONAL BOOK

Postby MelanieGouldFanBrian » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:30 am

Cindy Abbott, this year's red lantern winner is more than just an Iditarod sled dog racer. And while it is not technically an Iditarod racing book, it is an inspirational musher autobiography and I have added her book to our Listing of Sled Dog, Mushing and Racing Books today. Although I had heard of Cindy battling a disease, I did not know about the book until this morning. Will be reading this myself very soon.

REACHING BEYOND THE CLOUDS: From Undiagnosed to Climbing Mt. Everest. By Cindy Abbott

After years of experiencing the frightening symptoms of a mysterious illness, at the age of 48, and with almost no mountaineering experience, Cindy Abbott decides to climb Mt. Everest. A few months after that fateful decision, she becomes functionally blind in one eye and is subsequently diagnosed with Wegener’s Granulomatosis, a rare, incurable and potentially life-threatening disease, but she refuses to give up on her dream. In this extraordinary and true story, Cindy Abbott takes us with her into one of nature’s most extreme environments while battling a rare disease that turns her own body against her. Less than five months after her diagnosis while climbing on Mt. Aconcagua in Argentina, she falls during the descent at nineteen thousand feet, breaks her leg, and is forced to climb down five thousand feet to base camp in order to be helicoptered off the mountain.
Cindy will be the first and only woman to climb Everest AND complete the Iditarod.
Front-Cover-med-682x1024.jpg

cindy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You ought to be thankful, a whole heaping lot, for the places and people you're lucky you're not."
Dr. Seuss
MelanieGouldFanBrian

Re: CINDY ABBOTT'S INSPIRATIONAL BOOK

Postby flowerpower » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:50 am

:D :D I'll have to look for this one! Thanks!
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Re: CINDY ABBOTT'S INSPIRATIONAL BOOK

Postby fladogfan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:34 pm

I love how you find all these wonderful books for us to read MGFB. Thank you so much.
Maybe I should get one of those electric reader things, as our library down here has very little sled dog books available.
Though, another thought is to buy the books and donate them to the library! :lol:
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Return to Mushing Talk