Sad News From The Cornell Hawk Cam

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Sad News From The Cornell Hawk Cam

Postby fladogfan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:17 am

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/sad-news- ... 1472603718

Some of you know how I follow this cam, they usually start laying eggs shortly after the race is over, so I have been checking the cam daily. Then today I read this. What sad news. What will Big Red do? They had already been mating, will she have to care for the eggs, then chicks by herself? How can she do that? Sometimes another male will come on the scene and be the daddy bird, but usually a younger one without Ezra's many years of experience.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Re: Sad News From The Cornell Hawk Cam

Postby flowerpower » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:14 am

:cry: :cry: :cry: I just checked and BR is not on the nest. Will she move away? Find another mate? Would another mate accept the young? It sounds like she has been there-a viewer commented that she looked sad and listless.
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Re: Sad News From The Cornell Hawk Cam

Postby fladogfan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:03 pm

I don't know flower, we will keep watching and see what happens. On an osprey nest last year the female came back (my memory is fuzzy on this ) but the male didn't return. Another younger male started bringing her fish. I can't remember if she laid eggs or not, but there were no chicks raised on that nest last year. Everyone is hoping they will both return and be able to raise a nest full of baby ospreys.

BR and EZ had been seen mating already and they have been busy rehabbing the nest. There are other red tail hawks in the area so it's possible another male might help out. But if the eggs BR lays are not his he could destroy them. We saw that happen on another osprey nest. Kicked them out of the nest. This is where the memory is fuzzy, seems like it was that osprey nest with the new male, but not sure I have the nest correct.

My favorite memory of Ezra is when Big Red made him get off the nest during a heavy down pour. He did under protest and then proceeded to cover BR and the chicks as well as he could with his wings.

I think BR probably knew EZ had been hurt , but she probably didn't see his dead body, so doesn't know what happened after the humans took him away. This is nature and we learn so much from the various cams watching wild life, but still...when bad things happen it is sad.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Return to Mushing Talk