Ft.David Road House

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Ft.David Road House

Postby SuldalsXpressen » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:04 am

Have you seen the new checkpoint marker on Ft.David Road House just out of Nome? It's on the gps map. Beyond this point there are no rules as to what you do to pass a team OR make sure no team passes you :D How cool is that!! Did not know this rule existed.

Eskil
Mmmmmm...... Unalakleet... DO'H!!!
SuldalsXpressen

Re: Ft.David Road House

Postby Happy2BeHere » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:16 am

:D :D :D That's where all the dueling up Front Street talk comes from. After that point, it's a dead sprint and it's all fair game!
Happy2BeHere

Postby Deerskin and Anja » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:46 am

um, how 'no rules' are we talking about here...? i hope it doesn't include anything more than psyching out each other...
Deerskin and Anja
my service dog
Deerskin and Anja

Postby sc-race-fan » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:49 am

It's called "no man's land" in the official rules and there is no requirement to give up the trail when requested as it is in the rest of the race.
Proud PaPa of the triplet litter; Aidan (B), Bailey (G), and Cameron (B). Cameron is on top in picture; Bailey, of course, is the bowhead!!
sc-race-fan

Location: formerly Columbia, South Carolina, now residing in Mooresville, North Carolina

Postby Deerskin and Anja » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:51 am

ah, so its wide enough to perhaps race side by side...i kind of was hoping for that kind of duel this morning <wry grin>
Deerskin and Anja
my service dog
Deerskin and Anja

Postby Happy2BeHere » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:55 am

Deerskin and Anja wrote:ah, so its wide enough to perhaps race side by side...i kind of was hoping for that kind of duel this morning <wry grin>

I think the nearly had it today! Ken Anderson beat Martin Buser by 44 seconds...not "neck and neck" but purty darn close!
Happy2BeHere

Postby Deerskin and Anja » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:17 pm

RATS! i miss all the fun...i envy you guys who are able to be out there to watch...with my health, i wouldn't be able to even watch the starts, let alone be beside the trail to cheer them in. the cams are SUCH a help!
Deerskin and Anja
my service dog
Deerskin and Anja

Postby Happy2BeHere » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:41 pm

Deerskin and Anja wrote:RATS! i miss all the fun...i envy you guys who are able to be out there to watch...with my health, i wouldn't be able to even watch the starts, let alone be beside the trail to cheer them in. the cams are SUCH a help!

LOL Deerskin -- I'm watching from my home office in Chicago! Despite all the technology (and thank goodness for all of it), I think this experience may be closer to the old radio days than "tv" -- there's a lot that takes place in one's head. It's GREAT fun, a wonderful race, and all the Iditabuddies make a really special "place" to spend a week -- even if I never leave the house!
Happy2BeHere

Postby Deerskin and Anja » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:48 pm

Image thats why i referred to the news pipeline in this group as the 'Iditarod Lip Radio'...we get news from folks on the ground up there faster than the mass media does!
Deerskin and Anja
my service dog
Deerskin and Anja

Return to Mushing Talk