Craig Medred Iditarod doping commentary

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Craig Medred Iditarod doping commentary

Postby txbennett » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:34 am

I believe the sample is taken as soon as possible (dog-willing and needing to go) from immediately or up to 6 hours after the finish. We do not know when the samples were taken for this specific team -- but ITC and the volunteers and the vets should, and probably did, record that data. Over the years numerous volunteers have recorded their specific experiences of being on "pee patrol" at the finish line. ITC has not released the identity of the team or the time the samples were taken -- just that the substance was Tramadol and that "numerous" dogs in the same team had tested positive for Tramadol. That fact, by itself, does not prove when, where, how or by whom the substance was administered -- hence it is not possible for ITC to "charge" someone with an offense. See Mitch Seavey's comments.

My guess is that most of the top twenty mushers have a pretty good idea about which team was involved, and probably so does Craig Medred -- but "saying" what they think is prohibited by ITC rules and regulations and fairness. Private gossip is probably pretty accurate, but libel and slander is not nice.

ITC may have been painted into a corner, but it's probably a corner that they have built themselves. Openness and transparency in all matters would help, but that's not ITC's style.
txbennett

Postby txbennett » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:36 am

txbennett

Postby fladogfan » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:46 am

ITC should not have announced something like this then basically take it back.

From the article TX posted,
""Since not one single drug test has been concluded as no B test has been performed, and the investigation cleared the musher in question, no musher should be considered guilty of anything, and any speculation is strictly conjecture," the statement said."

BTW what is a B test?
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby mira » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:46 am

Actually, this has reached the news here as well.

A B-test is what is common in doping tests, you take the sample and store them in two containers (A and B) and then sealed. The test is performed on sample A, if it is positive they test sample B as well, and the person in question is allowed to witness the testing to make sure there has been no tempering with the samples, or contamination in the lab. This is how doping cases are worked in WADA code (as most sports agrees on). Not sure what IFSS does but I guess it's pretty much the same. Both A and B must be positive before you have a doping case (unless the athlete admits it of course) based on test.

It seems to me that the new rule isn't very clever, it should state something that the mushers are not allowed to give any meds before six hour after finish unless approved and logged by race vet. Or perhaps this is covered somewhere else? I guess that's the reasoning here, they suspect (or it's admitted or they can't prove that it wasn't like that) the pain killers were given after the finish and did not affect the race.

Note I haven't had time to read the updated articles.

Anyhow, it's like I said in my first post, ITC shouldn't have reasoned for the rule change unless prepared to tell the whole story. A common mistake, but you would thought they learned at some moment.
mira

Postby txbennett » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:04 am

I know that mushing and sled dog racing tend to attract introverted folks who generally are not seeking the spotlight and who prefer the company of their kennel mates to large crowds of people. That being said, I believe that the way to combat this and numerous other very negative publicity stories is through totally open, truthful and honest transparency -- by the Iditarod Trail Committee, by the Yukon Quest, by the other racing competitions, by the kennels and by the mushers. As fans, we can and we want to support you, but you must take the lead in this -- we can and will support from the outside, but the insiders must lead the way in what is probably an uncomfortable very public manner.
txbennett

Postby txbennett » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:43 am

Update -- definitive action by IOFC!!!

https://craigmedred.news/2017/10/23/musher-protest/
txbennett

Postby fladogfan » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:47 pm

txbennett wrote:Update -- definitive action by IOFC!!!

https://craigmedred.news/2017/10/23/musher-protest/

YES!
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby SuldalsXpressen » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:04 pm

Dallas. Did not see that coming...
Mmmmmm...... Unalakleet... DO'H!!!
SuldalsXpressen

Postby txbennett » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:13 am

Dallas? -- that would explain Mitch's claim that somebody else may have sabotaged the team and it may not have been administered by the Musher, and his opposition to making the Musher prove innocence instead of requiring absolute proof of the misdeed. Dallas's video statement is quite convincing. The fight is on between the Mushers (Dallas, Mitch and others) and the ITC board and management.
txbennett

Postby dashdel » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:05 am

the end is near i'm sorry to say...... And I believe Dallas....... He was going to be the next 5 or 6 or 7 time winner...... Needed to be taken out........
dashdel

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk