Trip to Iditarod 2018 - any one for meeting up?

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Trip to Iditarod 2018 - any one for meeting up?

Postby SiberianRose » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:09 pm

auk, I went in 2012 and the trip provided some of my most cherished memories. My husband had passed away a few months earlier, and my son, knowing my love for this race, said, "Mom, just go!" So, at the age of 73, I flew on my own from western North Carolina to Anchorage, and I loved every minute of it. I have long been a fan of Karen Ramstead, so sitting at her table for the Mushers Banquet will always be at the top of my list of favorite moments, along with chatting with her as she booted and hooked-up dogs for the ceremonial start. Many of the mushers host Open Houses, so be sure to go to some of those.

Another event is The Reindeer Run. I'm not sure of the date, but it's a few days before the Ceremonial Start. I didn't go, but I was having dinner on the main street when some of the participants came into (maybe I should say staggered into) the restaurant/bar. The girls were in very colorful ballet tutus, and some of them decided that I should not be having dinner alone and came over to keep me company. They were proud to show me the bruises where the reindeer antlers made contact.

Have a wonderful time and keep in touch with us.
SiberianRose

Postby Moose » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:49 pm

Well, dang! If I knew you were there in 2012, I've forgotten. (The memory and the hearing are fading fast!) It sounds like a wonderful time. What a treat that you got to witness reindeer antler bruising! :lol: It's good you didn't get to experience it first-hand!
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby txbennett » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:26 pm

AUKF -- Don't forget to open your "AUKF at Iditarod 2018" topic in this Iditabuds.com Mushing Talk forum for us to follow along!
txbennett

Postby Another UK Fan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:19 am

Siberian Rose you are an inspiration! :)
Another UK Fan

Postby Another UK Fan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:30 am

TX - Will do!
Another UK Fan

Previous

Return to Mushing Talk