Trip to Iditarod 2018 - any one for meeting up?

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Trip to Iditarod 2018 - any one for meeting up?

Postby fladogfan » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:12 am

auk, we are so pleased for you. I do hope you get out and about some, there is so much to see and do.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Another UK Fan » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:16 am

Thanks fdf!

Getting out and about is definitely on the agenda. Apologies for my previous post which I can see is a bit misleading :oops:

Mushers' banquet, start and re-start all arranged!
Another UK Fan

Postby fladogfan » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:43 am

I'm excited for you!!
fladogfan

Postby txbennett » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:00 am

Just FYI for anyone who may be interested:

Comfort Inn Staff Luncheon
January 25, 2018 by SPK Crew
Earlier today Aliy and Moira had lunch with Comfort Inn Ship Creek Anchorage staff.

Aliy spoke to the team about our dogs, the races and her story. She also talked about how much she and Allen appreciate a warm, cozy and friendly place to stay before heading out onto the Iditarod trail.
They whole SP Kennel Crew are excited to stay at Comfort Inn Ship Creek for the 2018 Iditarod. It is our home away from home. We have booked our accommodations for several nights prior to the March 4th restart.
This hotel is perfect for the dogs. They will be able to stretch their legs with plenty of outdoor property surrounding the hotel, is super close to the Ceremonial Start line on 4th Avenue, but is quiet enough for them to get a great night’s sleep.

The dogs will be in Anchorage from Thursday evening until departing for Nome on Sunday morning. Friday is the athletes’ “down day” and those staying at the hotel with us will get to see them up-close as we feed and care for them.
Comfort Inn Ship Creek is offering a “Friends of SP Kennel” Special Rate for those wishing to stay with us during the Iditarod festivities. Click on this button to find out more.

Needless to say, a BIG thank you to the folks at The Hotel Group and Comfort Inn Ship Creek! See you again soon.
txbennett

Postby Another UK Fan » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:49 am

Tx - how very interesting ;)

Thank you!
Another UK Fan

Postby txbennett » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:08 pm

You're very welcome AUKF. When I saw this posted on the SPK FaceBook page and web site I thought of you and others who are fortunate enough to be there.

As your time and schedule permits post something, anything, to keep us Iditabuds informed about your activities -- so we can enjoy them along with you.

Perhaps you can create and open an AUKF at Iditarod 2018 topic in our forum to post to, which we can respond to and which you can review after you go back home across the pond to Newcastle.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Green with envy!

TXbennett
txbennett

Postby Moose » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:38 pm

Oh, man. Sharing a hotel with the SPK teams would be beyond incredible. I was star-struck running into mushers in Nome. They were everywhere: at the finish cheering other teams in, on the streets, in restaurants and bars, in the dog lot where I volunteered, at the mini convention center, and coming in and out of the Nuggett! I'm sure it will be the same in Anchorage. Get ready to be star-struck, AUKF!
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby Another UK Fan » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:59 am

UK weather forecasts a cold spell with temps ranging from 23F to 1F. A helpful bit of preparation :)

Thanks TX for the suggestion of a dedicated thread. I'll set one up soon.

Moose a UK long distance musher was saying exactly the same last week. It's beginning to become real . . . . yikes!

Three weeks today I'll be flying out . . .
Another UK Fan

Postby fladogfan » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:29 am

:D :D :D :D :D
3 loooong weeks!
Excited for you and hope you get to meet a lot of Iditabuds.
fladogfan

Postby Another UK Fan » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:47 am

fdf :D :D :D
Another UK Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk