Trip to Iditarod 2018 - any one for meeting up?

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Trip to Iditarod 2018 - any one for meeting up?

Postby txbennett » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:05 pm

POSTED TODAY -- time for Volunteers to sign up:

https://mail.yahoo.com/d/folders/1/mess ... A0rGOnLVrc

Registration for volunteering for the 2018 Iditarod is now open!
Volunteers are the backbone of the race. Each task completed helps get the mushers and dogs safely from Anchorage to Nome. We are grateful for all of our volunteers.
Welcome back to our 'seasoned' volunteers. AND to those of you who are new to volunteering, "Glad to meet you!"
118 days and counting until we'll see you at the starting line!
Learn about the jobs that are available this year and register to volunteer by visiting our website.

Time to act AUKF !! :!: :!:

:D :D :D
txbennett

Postby fladogfan » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:35 pm

AUK, I know moose enjoyed her time in the dog yard in Nome.

TX, what fire? Did I know about it and have just forgotten?
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby txbennett » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:11 pm

fdf -- the hotel and bar at the finish line in Nome burned. In a town with limited accommodations to start with this takes away many beds frequently used by Iditarod visitor and staff.
txbennett

Postby Another UK Fan » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:06 am

Thanks SC! Keep up the spirits now - you may make it yet. If not this year, then the next, or the next.

I'd planned to do this, then other stuff knocked the plan out, then yet more stuff put it back again. Life is amazing :D
Another UK Fan

Postby Another UK Fan » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:26 am

Tx Done it, done, done it! :D :D :D

Best thing for me is to do comms. Plenty of experience of inputting data, working in a team and all that.

Would love to do dog stuff, but I'm not as strong as I was.

I've been working out for nearly a year with a personal trainer and it's been very helpful. So I'm fit but a bit on the weak side!
Another UK Fan

Postby fladogfan » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:12 am

txbennett wrote:fdf -- the hotel and bar at the finish line in Nome burned. In a town with limited accommodations to start with this takes away many beds frequently used by Iditarod visitor and staff.

Thanks TX, sad about the woman lost.

Found this on-line. The video and photos didn't copy but this is the address.

http://www.ktuu.com/content/news/VIDEO- ... 78803.html

UPDATE: Nome officials identify woman killed in Polaris Bar and Hotel fire

By Leroy Polk and Kortnie Horazdovsky |

Posted: Thu 8:57 AM, Nov 02, 2017

NOME, Alaska (KTUU) - Nov. 2 Update:

Bette Haugen was the sole fatality in the Polaris Hotel fire. Haugen, seen here, was interviewed by KTUU during the 2008 Iditarod.

Officials with the Nome Police Department have confirmed the identity of the woman killed in Tuesday's structure fire in Nome.

Bette Haugen, 63, of Nome, was found during a sweep of the burned down Polaris Bar and Hotel, authorities said. Officers with the Nome Volunteer Fire Department said that one person was unaccounted for before the body was located.

Haugen, who was sometimes affectionately called "Betty Boop" by friends and family, was well-known in Nome. KTUU interviewed Haugen during the 2008 Iditarod. "I'm lucky I don't have to work nights," she said then. "During this time, it's like a zoo."

Officials say next of kin have been notified.

UPDATE:

At least one person has been confirmed dead after a fire destroyed the Polaris Hotel in Nome early Tuesday morning.

“There has been just one fatality confirmed, with the victim’s identity still unknown,” Nome officials wrote in a 4:30 p.m. statement.

No further information was immediately available.

ORIGINAL STORY:

Fire fighters in Nome battled a blaze which took over the Polaris Bar and Hotel Tuesday. As of 3:30 p.m. Tuesday, one person was still unaccounted for.

At that time, the fire was knocked down, with a few hot spots, according to the fire chief.

Jim West Jr., the fire chief of the Nome Volunteer Fire Department, said that the initial call on the fire came in at 2:53 a.m.

The owner of the business, who also lives in the building, smelled smoke in the kitchen area. After checking up on it, he found smoke in the storage area of the business, and called for help.

West says that first responders found flames "shooting out of the liquor store" which adjoins the hotel. "It's a big building, about 60 or 70 years old," West said.

Multiple people were inside the building when it went up in flames. West says that several people were able to get out, but that at least two people were "unaccounted for" as of Tuesday morning. By afternoon, West said one of those people had since been located safely. The other is still missing, he said.

In the morning, West said NVFD was in a defensive posture when it comes to the fire, trying to prevent the spread of flames to neighboring buildings.

"We're hitting it with everything we've got," West said.

Reports from people in the area show that multiple ambulances were sent to the scene. West said four people, who were already evacuated from the building when firefighters arrived, were taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation.

In a video sent to KTUU by Dave Karp, flames can be seen on the back side of the building. A wall on the South West side was knocked down by the fire department to aid in extinguishing efforts.

According to Nome's Convention and Visitor's Bureau, the hotel has a capacity of 34 rooms.

West said the state fire marshal is expected to travel to Nome Wednesday to investigate.
fladogfan

Postby Another UK Fan » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:46 am

fdf and tx - this sounds awful. Thanks for posting.
Another UK Fan

Postby dashdel » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:04 am

Boy I had some good times at the Polaris!!! Sad to see that go.... And sorry for loss of life....
Maybe they will re-build... It will affect next years race for sure.....
dashdel

Postby fladogfan » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:22 pm

dashdel wrote:Boy I had some good times at the Polaris!!! Sad to see that go.... And sorry for loss of life....
Maybe they will re-build... It will affect next years race for sure.....

I bet the rooms were all booked too, now a scramble to find another place to sleep. I loved the Nome Nugget Inn.
fladogfan

Postby Moose » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:41 am

Wow. Good for you, AUK. Bullwinkle and I only had an overnight in Anchorage on our way to Nome in 2010. Sure wish we had had the time and funds for the start and the finish. Enjoy the festivities for all of us. I plan to be a more active forum member this year so will look forward to your posts!
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk