Dallas Seavey Norway bound!!

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Dallas Seavey Norway bound!!

Postby fladogfan » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:45 pm

I love the photo of the dog in the snow cave. What a good idea.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby mira » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:48 am

Yes, the snow cage was a great idea :)

Actually, unless there is some heavy snow falls it will be less snow in Finnmarksløpet than it's currently in Sjusjøen area. In general it has been a bit dry in the northern parts of Norway this winter (but it is snow, that shouldn't be a problem at all). It's funny to see how Dallas look at the travel and logistics. I see they use the same method as the Norwegians have done lately, using ordinary flights with several people bringing along parts of the team.

It's a long way to Alta and even though the speed limit is 80 km/h (ca 50 mph) I don't think he necessarily can drive at that speed all the way.

..and this part were just funny :lol:
Sjusjøen is a multi-use trail system that boasts more than 2,500 km of trails and is heavily utilized by very athletic Norwegians. I wasn’t too bothered when my team and I were passed by what I assumed was an Olympic level skate skier gliding effortlessly over the snow, until I was also passed by the entire family including the smallest child that couldn’t have been more than 8 years old.

The schools in the two biggest counties have winter break this week and Sjusjøen is a very popular area for many in these counties (area with loads of cabins).. Meaning that this week there are lots of families on Sjusjøen :)

And regarding skating skiers, congratulations to USA for gold in team sprint for women.. very impressive and deserved!
mira

Postby Eggs » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:59 pm

mira wrote:And regarding skating skiers, congratulations to USA for gold in team sprint for women.. very impressive and deserved!
That was crazy. Diggins - wow. All kinds of firsts for USA in that finish.

Glad Bjoergen medaled. So now she's "the most successful Winter Olympian of all time" with 14 medals and her reigning champion event still to come? Hope she bags that one too for 5 at PyeongChang.
Here's a link of the final lap if anyone is interested: http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/usas-r ... untry-gold
Last edited by Eggs on Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eggs

Postby mira » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:15 am

Indeed.. I think many Norwegians were glad USA nailed it (when we didn't :) ) and Bjørgen did get that medal and then we are pleased. Hope she gets that last one, that will make the collection complete.

Looks like Dallas and the team is heading north in perhaps a different way that the originally planned to. It is a long way to drive to Alta. Really. And even though the speed limit is 80kmt (ca 50 mph) you can't necessary actually drive that fast all the way. You also have some mountain passes that might be closed or you have to wait for "kolonnekjøring" (convoy system).
mira

Postby fladogfan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:52 pm

mira wrote:Indeed.. I think many Norwegians were glad USA nailed it (when we didn't :) ) and Bjørgen did get that medal and then we are pleased. Hope she gets that last one, that will make the collection complete

Of course I am rooting for the USA but my next team/country is Norway! Probably because we know you, mira ;)

mira wrote:Looks like Dallas and the team is heading north in perhaps a different way that the originally planned to. It is a long way to drive to Alta. Really. And even though the speed limit is 80kmt (ca 50 mph) you can't necessary actually drive that fast all the way. You also have some mountain passes that might be closed or you have to wait for "kolonnekjøring" (convoy system).

Please explain kolonnekjoring, does a driver need to wait for a group of cars to drive together for safety?
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Alphashe » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:22 am

Yupp :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alphashe

Postby JLJ » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:55 am

With the kolonnekjoring (convoy through difficult/dangerous road section?), is there an official guide car that takes a group through when there are enough? Or is it organized in some other way?
JLJ

Postby mira » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:24 am

Yes, the road is essentially closed between two points, but you are allowed to pass in the convoy. The convoy is usually with a plow in front and another official car last (often a plow too). It is going in one direction at the time, from a to b and then b to a and... The convoys are going slow, you have to wait for it.. It takes time.
mira

Postby Moose » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:40 am

Wow. What other options did Dallas have for travel to Alta? From what I've read so far, he was very well prepared leaving the US and at least arriving in Norway. (Wondered if the Kristoffer who was so helpful on his arrival is yours, Mira!!) :D
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby mira » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:19 pm

Not many.. of course there are planes going to Alta (I guess at least one of his handlers did that), no trains that far north. But not that many planes, it's expensive and the dogs have already had a long trip from US is quite long. He will also need handlers during the race and they of course need a dog truck.. Many Norwegians drives through Sweden and Finland, it's shorter and you avoid those mountain areas (the speed limit is also higher I think), but that means even more paperwork (and visas I think).

At least he has seen more of Norway than many Norwegians :lol:

(and no.. not my Kristoffer, I probably have told you and posted a bunch of pictures if it was :lol: )
mira

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk