Dallas Seavey Norway bound!!

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Dallas Seavey Norway bound!!

Postby Eggs » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:21 pm

However he got there, he's there: ) Short video: https://www.facebook.com/DallasSeavey/p ... 6942609903

Mira: OT but nice Bjørgen did the medal sweep!
Eggs

Postby fladogfan » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:33 pm

mira wrote:Not many.. of course there are planes going to Alta (I guess at least one of his handlers did that), no trains that far north. But not that many planes, it's expensive and the dogs have already had a long trip from US is quite long. He will also need handlers during the race and they of course need a dog truck.. Many Norwegians drives through Sweden and Finland, it's shorter and you avoid those mountain areas (the speed limit is also higher I think), but that means even more paperwork (and visas I think).

At least he has seen more of Norway than many Norwegians :lol:

(and no.. not my Kristoffer, I probably have told you and posted a bunch of pictures if it was :lol: )
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: yes I believe you!

We are so spoiled in the USA with going state to state and not even thinking how wonderful it is to not have border checks at every state line.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Moose » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:45 pm

mira wrote:. . .(and no.. not my Kristoffer, I probably have told you and posted a bunch of pictures if it was :lol: )

Unless you were all sworn to secrecy. Those Seaveys can be somewhat secretive. :lol:
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby Another UK Fan » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:07 pm

Thanks Mira for the info. Makes a lot of sense.

When does the race start?
Another UK Fan

Postby mira » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:34 am

The long race starts March 9th, the shorter and junior classes on 10th.
mira

Postby mira » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:47 am

fladogfan wrote:We are so spoiled in the USA with going state to state and not even thinking how wonderful it is to not have border checks at every state line.

Actually, we don't have it in Europe either, because we have a cooperation which many of the countries are a part of (almost everyone on main Europe, not UK for instance), called Schengen. Which means that I can travel across borders pretty much as I please. The Norwegian border is the longest border in Europe, most of it are in big wood areas or mountains, there are several places to cross the borders many of the crossings does not have any customs present. But I'm not sure what rules applies to a US citizen and traveling with a full team of dogs. So I'm quite sure that the easiest is to stay in Norway.

One of the legs in FL is river traveling on a river which is the border between Norway and Finland (actually, that part is run both ways), there is also part of the race where they are very close to the Russian border (I think they cross a lake which is partly in Norway and partly in Russia).
mira

Postby fladogfan » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:32 am

Good to learn that mira. Did the cross boarders freely start when the countries of Europe went together? Can't think of correct wording.
It would make sense to be more careful of non-Europeans with many dogs trying to cross your borders ;) ;)
fladogfan

Postby Eggs » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:23 am

Dallas Seavey shared Finnmarksløpet's post. 28 mins ·
https://www.facebook.com/DallasSeavey/p ... 8568429407
Dallas will start the Finnmark tomorrow. In a last minute turn of events our dear friend Geir Idar Hjelvik will also be racing! Geir is the Norwegian musher who raced our puppy team in the Iditarod in 2016 and 2017. Check out the Finnmarkslopet fb page for updates. I'll also be posting my insights on the race! -Jen
Finnmarkslopet fb: https://www.facebook.com/pg/finnmarkslopet/posts/
Eggs

Postby fladogfan » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:44 pm

Cool Eggs, thanks
fladogfan

Postby Alphashe » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:32 pm

Geir Hjelvik will be up trail Finnmarksløpet with Sigrid Ekrans beautiful dogteam. :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alphashe

Previous

Return to Mushing Talk