Dallas Seavey Norway bound!!

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Dallas Seavey Norway bound!!

Postby SuldalsXpressen » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:34 am

Dallas Seavey is going to Norway in Feb/March 2018 to run the Finnmarksløpet Race, the european version of the Iditarod. This is very exciting :)

https://www.nrk.no/finnmark/mener-de-ha ... 1.13803855

Eskil
Mmmmmm...... Unalakleet... DO'H!!!
SuldalsXpressen

Re: Dallas Seavey Norway bound!!

Postby Another UK Fan » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:33 pm

That is very exciting indeed! :)

Thanks Eskil :D
Another UK Fan

Postby Another UK Fan » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:35 pm

Is he bringing his own dog team? What are the rules in Norway for bringing dogs in? Do they need pet passports like in UK?
Another UK Fan

Postby txbennett » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:16 pm

I saw a report somewhere that he is bringing his own team and gear and is planning to arrive a couple of weeks early -- so they must have planned and made arrangements pretty extensively. That must be a very expensive trip, as were the Iditarod trips for the teams from Norway.
txbennett

Postby Moose » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:34 am

I don't mean to "stir the pot", but there's been speculation that Seavey's pulling out of I'rod following recent publicity was not so much a matter of principle but more a matter of Finnmarkslopet. In any event, I wish he and his team well in Norway.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby Another UK Fan » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:07 am

It's exciting that Dallas is competing in Norway - and with his own team. :D
Another UK Fan

Postby mira » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:44 pm

Another UK Fan wrote:Is he bringing his own dog team? What are the rules in Norway for bringing dogs in? Do they need pet passports like in UK?

Yes, we don't have rabies on main land and other stuff (worms and such) common in more southern parts of Europe. As far as I know, the rabies vaccine has become faster and cheaper (I think) making it a bit easier.

http://www.pettravel.com/immigration/Norway.cfm
"If this is your pet's first vaccination after microchipping, and it is entering Norway from a country listed in step #7, it will need to wait for 21 days before traveling."
(USA is listed in step 7 as a country consideres as rabies-controlled.

Finnmarksløpet is a race under IFSS so they doping rules applies, anti-doping Norway has been present taking tests earlier.

In the article Dallas says that he has been wanting to run Finnmarksløpet for some time, but he hasn't want to miss Iditarod. I guess it was a nice opportunity to travel to Norway instead.
mira

Postby txbennett » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:40 am

Mira, is tramadol one of the "banned" drugs they test for in Norway? Just a curiosity question.
txbennett

Postby mira » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:44 pm

I'm not sure, but after re-reading some articles from October regarding the case it seems like it is banned also in the WADA/WADC-system (I'm too lazy to check now). I think opiods is forbidden and this is one type. This should anyhow be familiar too Dallas when he was an athlete, he was also regulated by the same rules. WADA does apply the rule ITC has changed, if you have a positive test, it is the person (in this case the musher) who must prove their innocent. It's the reverse logic of what's common, when the rule is that you are innocent until proven guilty.

I will be surprised if they don't test in FL this year, I guess they do it quite often as it is often norwegian championship in one of the classes and is a big event in Norway, the tend to do the tests in such competitions.
mira

Postby Eggs » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:54 am

Posted this in the Norwegian races (femundsløpet and finnmarksløpet) thread but reckon it ought to go here too. Dallas and team have reached Norway. Here are a couple of long posts:

Dallas Seavey added 5 new photos · Yesterday at 7:09am · https://www.facebook.com/DallasSeavey/p ... 0406725890
Dallas Seavey added 4 new photos · 4 hrs · https://www.facebook.com/DallasSeavey/p ... 4366623494
Eggs

Next

Return to Mushing Talk