IROD on VERSUS

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: IROD on VERSUS

Postby Moose » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:24 pm

Well, so far I've managed to miss them all...and without even trying. :cry:
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby jonnybegood » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:57 am

I got the 1st part and last night the 3rd part but missed the part #2. I show that they will be aired again 4/6, 4/7, and 4/11 but no way to find out witch parts they will be????? This was my problem last year and I emailed VS with my complaint then, but I can see it did no good. How hard can it be to list Part 1,2, and 3 on their web site of scheduled programs. I guess all VS cares about is Bullriding!!
Like last year it has good Alaska scenery, the start in part one was good, there wasn't quite so much repeat in part 3 so that was good. Part 3 was mostly the Lance and Jeff show. It had Lance leaving the CP with Jeff still sleeping. Like last year the race is over when Jeff gets to Nome. A little coverage of some of the other racers would be good. If I only watched the race on VS and didn't follow on this forum I would miss SO MUCH!! Thanks again BSSD!!! Now if April repeats have part 2 I will be all set. JBG
jonnybegood

Postby flowerpower » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:35 am

I was disappointed in Part 3 overall. Way too much play up about the "bitter rivalry between these 2 old enemies", etc. etc.
I did like the part about Lance sneaking out of Elim (they showed Jeff snoozing away), and they did a mention of the plane crash with their crew on board and showed some beautiful scenery as a tribute to them. Wished they would have shown more about the villages, checkers and back of the pack. They made a few mentions of people running at the back, but no interviews or real clips of them. Even the other people they interviewed they had talking about Jeff and Lance. Don't get me wrong I LOVE Jeff and Lance, but they tried a little too hard to make it sound like shootout at the OK corral. :|
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby CynCyn37 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:30 am

flowerpower wrote:I was disappointed in Part 3 overall. Way too much play up about the "bitter rivalry between these 2 old enemies", etc. etc.
I did like the part about Lance sneaking out of Elim (they showed Jeff snoozing away), and they did a mention of the plane crash with their crew on board and showed some beautiful scenery as a tribute to them. Wished they would have shown more about the villages, checkers and back of the pack. They made a few mentions of people running at the back, but no interviews or real clips of them. Even the other people they interviewed they had talking about Jeff and Lance. Don't get me wrong I LOVE Jeff and Lance, but they tried a little too hard to make it sound like shootout at the OK corral. :|

I agree! It is interesting, since I watched the Iditarod and know that the bitter rivalry was only featured in the media (I saw a much more congenial bunch in dual interviews), how editing affects the perception of what happens. I had never really though it could be so scewed, but now I know different it can actually be. I also like to see faces and individual dogs, so I felt sort of blah about last night. I bet I will like the Discovery one better.
CynCyn37

Skype ID: CynCyn37

Postby boo » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:07 am

The mantra they repeat....CONFLICT, CONFLICT, CONFLICT.....without it they don't have a story. One reason I really don't like the media. They often write the script before you ever talk to them, then they grab the sound bites that agree with their script and/or agenda. And what comes out has a completely different context or slant than what you said. I stayed 'low' this year, but suspect there will be some of me in the Discovery Film movie....despite my attempts to 'not be there'. The end product is one of two things we refer to in our house.....NEC or NQR....NEC=Not Even Close
NQR=Not Quite Right (Usually in reference to merchandise manufactured in China) ;)

There is not the venom between Jeff and Lance that they want to whip up....why 'Dallas-ize' and soap-opera our sport????!!!! The dogs are honest and don't do that and neither do the mushers, for the large part. The one person I can think of that creates genuine froth and dislike is Doug, but he works pretty hard to create that, doesn't he? :lol: Part of his 'persona'. Kind of a lovable twittiness. :roll:
boo
boo

Postby dilli » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:23 pm

So far, I have managed to video tape one complete set of all 3 parts of the Versus 08 Irod series despite incorrect Versus '08 Irod broadcast listing information in TV Guide and on the official Iditarod website. Very annoying to many that the show listings were wrong on both above mentioned sites, but were not listed incorrectly on the Versus Channel website program schedule. Also annoying that Versus refuses to include which part of the 3 part series is being broadcast on a particular night.
Well, Versus will broadcast the series again one more time that I know of for certain. I'm hoping to have a 2nd complete set when all is said and done (so far have 3 copies of part 1, and only 1 copy of part 2 and 3).

According to the Versus channel schedule listings (TV guide and Irod.com info was WRONG) ...
http://www.versus.com/nw/article/view/6 ... e&catID=76

April 6th 10 PM EASTERN TIME
April 7th 1 AM EASTERN TIME
April 14th 12 AM EASTERN TIME

Here is the Versus webpage where you can double check their program scheduling by day or week.
http://www.versus.com/schedule
We've got treats
dilli

Postby Jan » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:27 pm

Thanks dilli :) I only saw part 1 -- could never find the times for the other two
Jan

Postby emwcee » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:31 pm

My sister recorded the first two episodes for me, but I forgot to remind her about the third one. Sigh. I'm assuming that they will repeat the next three in order, so that means the third one will re-air on 4-14, but I have no way of knowing for sure. Those of you who've seen it -- is it worth it, or should I just skip it? If it's just the supposed rivalry between Lance and Jeff, I don't know if I'll bother. I will probably get the DVD free when I renew my insider. Is it pretty much the same?

I also am looking forward to the Discovery show, but we don't get that channel either. The good news is that I have more friends who get Discovery -- hopefully I can find someone who knows how to program, so it's not a big deal for them to record it.
emwcee

Postby boo » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:36 pm

Jan, gotta say I am 'underwhelmed' by the Versus coverage and 'take on the race'. The one ITC puts together, IMHO, is far superior and one a person could enjoy over and over again. Like has been said, it almost seems like only two dudes (or three, some days :) ) were racing the Irod in 2008. They just don't seem to give a rip about the rest of the field....and with the Discovery coverage with sled and head cams, it should be 'over the moon'. (Love ya' Matty) I'm HOPING!!!!
boo
boo

Postby MelanieGouldFanBrian » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:15 am

I will always miss the daily early morning shows that the OutDoor Channel did a few years ago with Tom Massie. They were certainly more up to date, you got an update every morning, + Tom had pre-recorded interviews with mushers. Most importantly, he was there, on the trail, with reports as they happened, and there was always a visual showing where EVERYBODY was on the trail each day.
The VS show is certainly OK, especially when there is nothing else, but it's geared more toward sports minded people, and not rabid, ribald, Iditarod afficianados like us. They simply follow the leaders, which is fine, but there was no mention of Rachael and Joe, no mention of the Freking's accident. No mention of ANY of the exciting things that keep us happy. Quite frankly, we learn more on line, even just from the posts we make between ourselves, than we do from the VS. show.
I think the VS show also went over the top with the King-Mackey rivalry thing. It almost made it sound like they despised each other.
Anyway, the VS show is good for seeing what you're only able to follow on line, even if it is only the top 2 or 3.

Brian MGFB
You ought to be thankful, a whole heaping lot, for the places and people you're lucky you're not."
Dr. Seuss
MelanieGouldFanBrian

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk