FANTASY MUSHING YUKON QUEST 2018

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: FANTASY MUSHING YUKON QUEST 2018

Postby StarDancer » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:01 pm

What are the "Gold Points"? What are they for? How did you choose them?
StarDancer

Postby txbennett » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:59 pm

I believe the "GOLD POINTS" were the excess amount "spent" by the team in excess of the $27,000 total maximum allowed. I think the "penalty" to be assessed by Fantasy Mushing is to "drop" (not count) the points awarded to the lowest "performing" musher on the teams picked, whereby the over spender will only have points awarded for their highest "performing" six mushers. If that is true than the teams with GOLD POINTS will lose points from their total when the penalty is assessed. The penalty will probably be assessed at the finish of the race since "performance" changes throughout the race. Teams that include a scratched musher will probably lose that musher's points since they stopped "performing" when they scratched.

I think that is what was posted by the administrator when it was discovered that some teams didn't understand the rule and spent more than $27,000 on the seven mushers they selected.

Some teams spent $27,000 on less than seven mushers, so apparently they thought this was something like our Top Five Pick contest. They picked their" favorites" until their $27,000 was spent. They may be DQed by the administrator, or perhaps (to be consistent between the penalties) they may also "only" lose their lowest performer -- leaving them potentially with only five or fewer mushers.

It's only a FREE game, and it's FUN, so cut the Administrator some slack. It's hard work keeping up with everything on a dynamic spread sheet. I couldn't and wouldn't do it!

Thanks Administrator! You are doing great!
txbennett

Postby StarDancer » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:19 pm

Txbennet,

Except for last year's Iditarod, I've not done any fantasy sports. I just couldn't figure out what was happening.

Thank you for explaining it! I looked everywhere on the Fantasy Mushing site and couldn't find any explanation of "Gold Points". So I was confusered...

Earlier today (or yesterday - can't remember), the Gold Points ranged from -5,000 to +17,000, which confused me even more. Right now, they range from 500 to 17,500.

StarDancer
StarDancer

Postby StarDancer » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:59 am

Whoa! I'm in first place!! MGFB is right behind me!

StarDancer
StarDancer

Postby flowerpower » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:29 pm

Good job! I've lost Katherine K and Ryne, so I'm not even in the top 100. :(
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby JeanieB » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:46 pm

I had asked about Gold Points on FB. This is what I got from the administrator:

"Yes, this is not points but just the remaining amount of gold you were given to pick mushers. For example you started with $27000. If you have used $6000 then your remaining gold will be $21000.
Thanks!"
"When women reach a certain age, they begin to collect dogs. This is known as "Many - Paws""
JeanieB

Postby mira » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:08 pm

I think someone requested for additional points for leftover gold.. they answered they would consider it for next year.

iditabuds are still doing strong, with StarDancer and Little Chena on the top. I'm on a very surprising 13th place at the moment, but I expect to drop, since 3 (Hugh, Katherine and Paige) out of my 7 have scratched. I guess most contestants have picked one who scratched though..

Currently we have 6 on the top 20 list!
mira

Postby flowerpower » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:06 pm

Little Chena ? (don't recognize the handle) is now on top, and "Iditabuds" 6th, and StarDancer now 9th. Go buds! I myself am vying for the red lantern, having lost 4 of my 7 mushers. :cry: :oops: :roll: :roll: :D

Edit: David1 from our pack is the current red lantern!
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby elsietee » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:09 pm

I thought I'd be way down, but am 45th out of 172... but not for long.

I had the misfortune to pick Hugh, Katherine, and Ryne. <sigh> :)

(At least I also have Allen, Matt, and Vebjorn - hence my current position, but once all the other mushers show up, I fear I will drop down the standings in a rock-like manner) :)
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby mira » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:05 am

Me too.. but luckily I think many have at least one musher who scratched.
mira

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk