Yukon Quest, discussion

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Yukon Quest, discussion

Postby elsietee » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:06 pm

...I just can't fathom what this must feel like:

Yukon-Charley Rivers National Preserve:

Overnight on the Yukon River, as dog teams traveled from Circle to Slaven's Roadhouse, wind chills most likely dipped to almost -90F, as temperatures on the river dropped near or past -50F and winds howled, blowing in the trail. On top of this, when the trail is 'blown in,' travel is slower. Multiple mushers noticed it to be very noticeably warmer up at the roadhouse compared to about forty feet lower on the Yukon River. All this makes Slaven's Roadhouse a priceless oasis of welcoming warmth, water, and respite from the wind and cold, as it has been for nearly 100 years.
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:14 pm

LOL - someone was complaining that they were posting last year's [outstandingly beautiful] photos, instead of this year.
Their response:

Slaven's Roadhouse is one of the very few locations along the Yukon Quest - Official Site trail that is at a very remote spot off the road system access, along the Yukon River, 55 miles from the closest 'civilization' and the Alaskan road system. There is no phone, internet, running water, nor electricity. It is a cabin built in the early 1930s to serve the steamboats in summer and dog mushers in winter - specifically built at a very remote location where access is essentially otherwise not possible. The closest thing to services and technology is the NPS summer field camp located four miles up the Coal Creek drainage from the roadhouse. It doesn't sound far, but there is no vehicular road, nor vehicle, and to get there, staff must snowmachine the trail and across, along, and through the creek with overflow water on top of the ice in temps (last night) of 40 below zero. When they arrive, the camp is shut down for winter. There is satellite internet, but even in summer, it is brutally slow at times. In winter, it requires firing up the generator (at -40F - EXCEPTIONALLY difficult), starting a fire in the wood stove and heating the mess hall for at least two hours before it is even safe to turn on the computer (after it has warmed up). Then, hopefully, connect to the very spotty satellite internet, upload 300 pixel wide photo (Facebook photos are 2048x), and keep your fingers crossed that it actually uploads. One photo. And then before leaving, stoke the stove so it hopefully only drops to about zero degrees before you can make it back again for the second time in one day.

We tried all this last year and while it worked, it was incredibly challenging, dangerous, exhaustive of time and resources, and pulled staff away from the real duties of being at the roadhouse to serve the mushers and dogs. Alas, posting past years' NPS-taken photos (not YQ photos) are the best thing we can do each year and it also allows us to post updates many times a day, thanks to our two-way handheld text messaging device the staff have inside the roadhouse (it runs on AA batteries). We do the best to pair current conditions and circumstances reported by the roadhouse staff with past years' photos to match. Using this method, staff in the office can notify staff at the roadhouse when dogs are approaching and then reply with all the details of the current conditions and happenings at this very remote location, where the only other option for communication with the outside world is through satellite telephone (limited by rechargeable battery power). Thanks for understanding. -JS
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:23 pm

More on Matt's hands from his team:

Smokin' Ace Sled Dog Kennels

Eagle Update!

Matt has gone off to bed after caring for the team and eating a big warm meal. His mom said that he's running the race the dogs want to run, which in turn is putting their well-being first and foremost. The Hall's are beaming with pride. And Matt's "very happy with the dogs".

Matt said that he's impressed with all 5 rookies on the team--Cougar, Cash, Loco Cocoa, Costello and Carhartt. They're all raring to go after each rest and he couldn't be happier. The team in general is eating everything he can throw at them. THIS folks, is EVERY mushers favorite moment--When it doesn't matter what snack you choose, they eat it with out question. This means their metabolism has kicked into high gear and they're feeling good. Eira and Koyuk have been leading the way since Slaven's and are showing now signs that they want to give up that leadership position. He still has all 14 dogs.

His hands on the other side, are...decent, not great. He's starting to get some feeling back and there's some discoloration BUT Scarlett reports that they're going to be O.K. "Especially if they don't peel before the race is done". Wayne once musher 500 miles with black feet. IF Wayne can do it, the "Kid" can do it.

Matt's laying down and warming up in the cozy sleeping quarters. He'll take all of his hand warmers with him on the next 150-mile run to Dawson.

Warm thoughts for Matt's hands! We'll touch base when he stirs again. Sweet dreams our little mushing warriors!
elsietee

Postby braider » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:01 pm

Thank you elsietee for those entries. I can't imagine what those conditions are like. It reminds me that I once seen -60F with wind ...from inside my house with a big fire going. I used a magic marker and wrote it on my wall (2/2/1996 = -60F) and it's still there today. I think that night set what is still Minnesota's all-time recorded lows. All the folks that were at that football game last weekend should read that. :)
braider

Location: Bemidji, Minnesota - the first city on the Mississippi River

Postby mira » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:01 am

I did wonder if it were a bit colder than usual this year. Usually YQ is cold.. but when it's colder than usual we gets more scratches I think.

Allen has 80 miles to go to Dawson, 30 miles to Clinton Creek.. and a few miles before he enters Canada. Matt is currently on the top of American summit.
mira

Postby mira » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:50 am

Has anyone seen anything about Jennifer Campeau? She's been 11 hours in Slaven's and Riley and Dave is both at Trout Creek. Looks like another scratch...
mira

Postby mira » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:01 am

I just looked at the map, it seems to me that the route is rerouted between braeburn and whitehorse? Anyone seen anything about that?
mira

Postby txbennett » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:27 am

If I recall correctly yes it has been rerouted, and shortened about 14 miles. Back track from Braeburn a few miles and then take a shorter and less challenging path to Whitehorse.
txbennett

Postby mira » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:51 am

Yes, it's back tracking and going down the Yukon river/Lake Laberge.
mira

Postby fladogfan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:05 am

The area between Eagle CP and Clinton CP goes over mountains. Did the YQ use to follow the Yukon river and got changed a year or so ago? Are the teams following the top of the world highway?
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk