Yukon Quest, discussion

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Yukon Quest, discussion

Postby arcticcircle » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:22 am

arcticcircle

Postby elsietee » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:31 am

Latest from Matt's team:

Good morning early birds! Matt and his stellar group of canines have left Eagle Checkpoint in transit to the half way point of Dawson City, 150-miles away! It'll be another long haul of COLD, but beautiful trail!

Here's our update from Scarlett:
"when he was starting to hook up their lines the dogs were up and yipping and howling to go. It was a beautiful sound and an amazing sound...very impressive. The charged out of the yard. Matt is tired but did rest for a couple of hours."

As for his hands, they're going to be fine, as long as he does not freeze them again. He's starting to get feeling back and they're only slightly discolored...pinkish, not black!"

Pink is way better than black--We like what we hear!

He still has a full team of 14 dogs and it sounds like our team of furry adventurers are ready to crank out this next long leg of the race! First up, American Summit. Sitting at 3,420' and an elevation gain of 2,540', these guys have some climbing to do. Which is good, because Matt will be helping the team work up that mountain every step of the way, keeping his blood pumping through those frosty finger tips! Matt and his family lived on top of this summit for a few years before they bought the homestead in Eagle. They mainly trapped this area in the winter by dog team and have some harrowing tails of braving the elements. So Matt is no stranger to this neck of the woods. The summit tends to be windy and the trail blown in. I'm sure his leaders are up for the challenge.

It was 32 below when he left Eagle at 11:30 pm and 40 below once the Hall's returned to their cabin 6 miles down river. It was reported that it was a tropical 40 below in Dawson as well. The dogs are well prepared for these temps with the heaviest jacket we could find on the market, arctic belly blankets and fox tails for their under parts. Matt is well equipped with pockets full of hand warmers and his wind stopping anorak and bibs. Dawson city, here we come!

The team of handlers have made the long 1,055 mile trip over to Dawson City. They're catching a cat nap before setting up dog camp. The handler crew now consists of Marinell, Luther, Jess and Cris. Marinell is an EMT, Cris a Paramedic, and Luther a Wilderness First Responder--So the team and Matt are in good hands!

Last edited by elsietee on Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby fladogfan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:33 am

arcticcircle wrote:http://whitehorsestar.com/Sports/canadian-rangers-on-their-toes-in-preparing-quest-trail

Thanks for this info articcircle.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby elsietee » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:35 am

As far as Jennifer Campeau - I don't think she can scratch at Slavens, there's nothing there. She at least has to get to Eagle and get the dogs flown out from there.

My guess is she's suffering in the cold. I noticed that she stopped on the way to Slavens for quite a while (I don't think anyone else did), so maybe she's biding her time waiting for some daylight?
elsietee

Postby fladogfan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:46 am

The tracker shows Matt 'parked' at mile 403.4 for over an hour. Do you think he's just on a planned rest? Or the tracker could be oopsing. Earlier I saw Allen speeding along at 65+ mph so oops do happen.
fladogfan

Postby fladogfan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:10 am

OK good. Matt is on the move :D
fladogfan

Postby elsietee » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:34 pm

Re. the "Mile 403.5" stop - I bet there's a cabin or something there. Allen, Paige, Matt and now Vebjorn also all stopped there.

Laura's in a hurry, she didn't stop, along with Ed.

Edited to add - Laura is now stopped at mile 405.7, while Ed kept going.

Jason is nearly there, and Torsten's just whooshing down off American Summit. So have to see if either of them stop.

Edited to add: Jennifer's on the move! Yay. She's 18 miles past Slaven's, travelling at 10+ mph, so looking good there.
Last edited by elsietee on Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:49 pm

Allen is now stopped at Clinton Creek, just before 40 Mile where he's going to rejoin the river to head into Dawson. Looking quickly at his stats, that stop at mile 403.5 seems to be a way to break up the journey without a full rest.

He rested in Eagle for 5.5 hours (I think 4 hours is mandatory) >
left Eagle at 4:40 pm >
went 6 hours to mile 403.5 >
rested a couple of hours >
then ran another seven hours to Clinton Creek.

He's been at Clinton Creek for over 4 hours, so probably another 5 hour min. rest?
It's another 50+ miles to Dawson, so one leg to get over there.

Paige is still 15 miles from Clinton Creek, so Allen's pulling away from her.

She rested in Eagle for 6.5 hours >
left Eagle at 9:15 pm >
went 5.5 hours to mile 403.5 >
rested 4 hours >
then is 4.5 hours into her run to Clinton Creek (with 15 miles to go - another couple of hours or so).

So she has banked a extra rest time (~3 hours?) but is travelling slightly faster - which is what she was doing earlier in the race.
elsietee

Postby fladogfan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:31 pm

Allen is on the move and is down on the Yukon River. Paige is closing in on Clinton.
fladogfan

Postby flowerpower » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:23 pm

If Allen maintains his current speed of about 7 mph, he should be in Dawson in 7 hours or so? Assuming he only stops to snack. :D
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk