Yukon Quest, discussion

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Yukon Quest, discussion

Postby mira » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:18 pm

Days of bad news :( I had a bad feeling of Hugh staying that long.

A bit off topic, but I think the timing of testing Dallas dogs were some pre-arranged deal because they (Seavey) had some own testing and didn't want to stress the dogs. Anyway, that made him an excuse to travel here :)

So Rob Cook is the red lantern and he has arrived in Dawson.

Severin and Hugh is on trail, still some hours to go to Dawson.
mira

Postby txbennett » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:32 pm

Dave Dalton is trailing Rob Cooke for the red lantern award. Dave has finished the Quest a number of times and should be able to "earn" the award this year.
txbennett

Postby fladogfan » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:33 pm

I hate hearing about Hugh's loss :( What a year they are having on the trail, so cold.

JLJ you made me laugh ":::Malamute buddy wonders why I'm beginning to growl, so better quit::: ;)" Also thanks for the ITC mushers list ;)

BTW goallengo :D :D
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby elsietee » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:28 pm

Rob Cooke coming into Dawson:

Q: "Are you ready to answer some questions?"

Rob: "The answer is 'cold'" <laughs>

"It actually wasn't too bad. When we left Earl and Sandy's [Clinton Creek] it was about -30 ... which is pretty good compared to what we've encountered on the rest of the race...and even on the river it was only about -34. It's only since coming in here that it got super-cold - I guess a mixture of the ice fog and the open leads. Only the last 10-15 minutes it got really cold."

Dogs doing really well. They are a bit demotivated by the cold. Didn't run so well coming out of Eagle - a slow start up American Summit, but they really took off after that - until they hit the cold again on the other side, so a slow run into Earl and Sandy's. The cold has been so persistent.

Q: "Any stand outs on your team?"

"All of them! We've got two 2 yr olds on the team and they're doing really well. Ziko was in lead until Circle, then Maddie and Dawkins have been in lead since. ... all doing exceptionally well, probably better than I am. "

The dogs looked *really* great coming in - tails up and wagging, and perky (some of the ones who arrived before him looked a little subdued, although I confess I was trying to watch and work at the same time, so didn't get a really good look at them... but Rob's dogs really did look good).

Rob seemed really upbeat (as upbeat as Rob can be, anyway, :) esp. compared to two years ago when he came into Dawson looking positively shell-shocked).
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby dashdel » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:45 pm

race is for 2nd place..... Allen s team; has to really crash not to win..... Brutal race..
dashdel

Postby arcticcircle » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:01 pm

Severin Cathry Withdrawl Retraction
Friday, February 9, 2018
Upon investigation, it was learned that there was an internal miscommunication regarding the details leading to the withdrawl of Severin Cathry.

In a post-incident review due to Cathry's current performance on the trail, Race Marshal Doug Harris contacted Trackleaders to confirm the call for assistance and was informed no SOS was ever sent by Cathry.

Due to these findings, Cathry remains a competitor in the race.

Cathry's race is unaffected as he is unaware of this situation.

The organization understands the severity of the error and a full debrief upon race completion will be conducted to avoid incidents such as this in the future.
arcticcircle

Postby elsietee » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:12 pm

<tee hee>.

Since he doesn't even know, this is a good thing! He's totally unaffected by it (although his handlers, friends, and family must be going around in circles).

He should arrive in Dawson in the next couple of hours.
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby libby the lab » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:23 pm

Read that Hugh is intending to scratch in Dawson.
Cindy, Anna Banana and Link-de
RIP Libby and Hank

http://www.dockdogs.com
http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org
libby the lab

Postby flowerpower » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:18 pm

Huh. Looks like Severin has been stopped for a couple of hours about 8 miles out of Dawson. Looks like he stopped, went a short distance, stopped again, started, then stopped again. Hugh has caught up to him, so we'll see what happens. Leader issues?

Edit: Severin followed Hugh into Dawson. No word or video yet of what is going on.
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby fladogfan » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:10 am

Thank goodness Severin couldn't know about that mix-up. Good for YQ stepping up and admitting their mistake, up front and out loud!

What a blessing that Hugh was behind him.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk