Yukon Quest, discussion

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Yukon Quest, discussion

Postby flowerpower » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:23 pm

If Allen maintains his current speed of about 7 mph, he should be in Dawson in 7 hours or so? Assuming he only stops to snack. :D
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby elsietee » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:04 pm

More about that mile 403.5 rest stop location:

Smokin' Ace Sled Dog Kennels

Rise and shine Smokin' Ace fans! Matt and the team is up and at it again after a nice 3-hr camp in the trees before he dropped down to the 40-Mile. Matt's a smart camper making sure he stopped up high before he dropped back down to the cold sunken air in valley--Temperature inversions can be pretty dramatic and I'm sure the dogs (and his fingers!) appreciated the few degrees of warmth gained on the hillside while they rested. It's reported to be 50 below in Eagle and 50 below in Dawson, so I'd assume it's at least 50 below on the 40-mile!

Last night the team left Eagle and traveled 17 miles of gradual climbing above treeline to American Summit, where he and the team mushed through alpine conditions with either "hard drifted snow or soft team swallowing drifts with wind." The team is traveling nicely and from where I sit I'm seeing nothing but good things.

Now he'll drop down to the 40-mile and run towards Clinton Creek Hospitality Stop 41 miles away. Sandy and Earl run this out of there beautiful homestead right off the river. Here they provide water for the dogs (that they've collected by melting blocks of river ice) and a nice warm meal and spot for musher to sleep.

The trail the crosses back and forth along the Yukon Depending on trail conditions. We'll see what he does when he gets to the junction!
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby libby the lab » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:40 pm

Looks like Allen is about an hour out of Dawson!
Cindy, Anna Banana and Link-de
RIP Libby and Hank

http://www.dockdogs.com
http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org
libby the lab

Postby elsietee » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:48 pm

Yukon-Charley Rivers National Preserve:

The first of a few flights has left Slaven's Roadhouse for Eagle, loaded with five dropped dogs and the Yukon Quest - Official Site veterinarian. They're waiting on the second Yukon Quest flight for the remaining five dropped dogs and the race official. The Alaska National Parks staff are also waiting for a flight, because - get this - it's too cold out! We have a safety policy of -40 degrees being a cut-off for NPS flights and it's at least 40 below at Slaven's right now and even colder down on the river! Word on the Yukon River is multiple local Eagle residents reported -55F at their cabins this morning.
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby flowerpower » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:01 pm

Any idea why Jennifer Campeau looks like she camped about a mile from Trout Creek?

Also, does anyone else have the feeling that Hugh isn't really racing? That he seems to be more "enjoying the scenery" so to speak?
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby mira » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:58 am

Allen is in Dawson some time ago..

Paige and Matt is approx. 23 and 25 miles from Dawson.

Thanks for all updating through (my) the night!
mira

Postby mira » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:00 am

From FB:

"Jennifer Campeau takes a rest 35 miles outside of Eagle where all remaining mushers have departed from and are now scattered throughout the trail to Dawson City. The checkpoint in Dawson saw it's first bit of action with Allen Moore's arrival and are looking forward to seeing Paige Drobny and Matt Hall in the early morning hours!"
mira

Postby txbennett » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:19 am

Allen has over a seven-hour lead ahead of Paige and around eight-hours ahead of Matt at the halfway point in Dawson. 500 miles is still a long way to go and anything can happen, but seven+ hours is a pretty comfortable cushion at this stage in the race.

Go Allen Moore and SP Kennel dogs!!

:D :D :D
txbennett

Postby fladogfan » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:41 am

mira wrote:From FB:

"Jennifer Campeau takes a rest 35 miles outside of Eagle where all remaining mushers have departed from and are now scattered throughout the trail to Dawson City. The checkpoint in Dawson saw it's first bit of action with Allen Moore's arrival and are looking forward to seeing Paige Drobny and Matt Hall in the early morning hours!"

Jennifer is still stopped, looks like over 9 hours.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby flowerpower » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:00 am

I think about 13 hours now. The tracker kinda reminds me of when Brent had that concussion. :( :( It looks like she sort of wanders around in that area and then stops again. The YQ site says they are monitoring, but I am concerned for sure. :( :(

OK, looks like she is FINALLY on the move.
flowerpower

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk