Yukon Quest, discussion

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Yukon Quest, discussion

Postby mira » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:24 am

I start a general follow-a-long and discussion thread about Yukon Quest.

In YQ300, Joanna Yaglow is 34 miles from Circle, Ben Good is almost 20 miles behind her. Richie Beattie has also left Central, the only three.

YQ1000.. Mike Ellis has scratched. I really wondered when I check my mobile tomorrow and he was way ahead the rest. Allen, Matt and Paige is in the lead, three-four miles between each other. Laura, Thorsten, Ed, Katherine and Hugh is 10 miles before the first trio.. They are within 6-7 miles from each other.
mira

Re: Yukon Quest, discussion

Postby emwcee » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:10 am

Wow - what a close race! I'm cheering for Paige this year. But of course, I'm happy no matter who wins.
emwcee

Postby Moose » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:19 am

Has anyone seen further word on Mike Ellis's scratch?

The tracker wasn't working for me this morning. Dark screen, no zooming in and out. What the. . .? But wait! After multiple visits to check if it was working, I finally saw the new prominent message that one must use the CTRL button along with the mouse wheel! Huh. :lol:
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby flowerpower » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:57 am

Huh? I just use the mouse to zoom in and out? Haven't seen any word on why Mike Ellis and Ellen King in the 300 have scratched. :cry: :cry:
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby emwcee » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:43 am

The CNTRL button (or command on Mac) is a new thing I think. I don't know why they added it. I don't really like the extra step.
emwcee

Postby flowerpower » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:23 am

Mike just posted that most of his dogs caught a virus and were too sick to continue. :cry: :cry:

Well, our disappointment is pretty extreme. We are very sorry to have had to leave the race and let down our fans. The short story is that the majority of the team got sick, the Vets think something viral, and it was simply too much to be asking them to continue on the race trail as it could have affected their very safety. We consulted numerous Veterinarians yesterday in 101 checkpoint, and even called another very trusted one, before the painful signing of the scratch form. Big thanks to all of them for helping us make an informed decision with our tired, emotional minds at the time. We are all home now, the doGs are safe, and will be fine. All our best to all the teams out on the trail, Respect those dogs!! Thank you all for your tsupport and understanding. (photo of our team approching 101 checkpoint yesterday morning)
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby braider » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:33 am

I watched Mike taking the lead going down that road # 6 at over 20mph. Figured then that he was traveling in something other than a dog team. You can see it in his tracker locations.
braider

Location: Bemidji, Minnesota - the first city on the Mississippi River

Postby libby the lab » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:17 am

Katherine Keith scratched. She has a broken wrist :(. There goes my top 5 ;)
Cindy, Anna Banana and Link-de
RIP Libby and Hank

http://www.dockdogs.com
http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org
libby the lab

Postby flowerpower » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:20 am

Bummer. Mine too. I had her in 2nd place. :cry: :cry:
flowerpower

Postby life (jplife) » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:45 am

ALLEN mOORE IS MAKING SOME SPACE BETWEEN THE OTHER MUSHERS ON THE YUKON RIVER
life (jplife)

Next

Return to Mushing Talk