Yukon Quest, discussion

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Yukon Quest, discussion

Postby elsietee » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:23 pm

From Paige's crew:

Squid Acres Kennel
1 hr ·
A few people have noticed that Paige has not moved in several hours. We don't have any information on why that is. She is likely attending to the needs of the dogs. Tim Pappas who is currently going through the Carmacks checkpoint heard and has offered to check on her and bring some extra food and fuel of his in case she needs it. Cody is on standby to go out there if help is needed. Paige is one of the most competent mushers around and temperatures have warmed up to above zero F.. Rest assured that she is fine and giving her dogs what they need. We will fill you in when we know more. Until then send good vibes.

I'm glad Tim can bring her extra food - she's going to need it.
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:40 pm

Laura Neese pulled an excellent move this afternoon, running a massive 11+ hour run into the compulsory 8 at Braeburn - and leapfrogging over Ed and Vebjorn (and Paige with her difficulties) and into third place.

I knew she was on a different run/rest to the others, but didn't take the time to figure out what she was doing.

Since Dawson:

• 6 run
  • 4+ rest
  • 5.5 run
  • 4+ rest
  • 6 run
  • 5.5 rest
  • 7 run
  • 4 rest
  • 10.5 run
  • 4.5 rest
  • 11.5 run

She has to be super-confident in her team that she could pull off those last two long runs back to back. Well played her!
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:42 pm

Hopeflly this doesn't have anything to do with Paige's predicament:

Yukon Quest - Official Site
28 mins ·
Vebjørn Aishana Reitan has made it into Braeburn! His official time in is 9:48pm with 13 on the line. He said his run was pretty good, but he did run into a bit of overflow. Reitan is currently in 4th position.
elsietee

Postby mira » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:43 am

Tim Pappas has stopped at Paiges' spot and has been there for at least half an hour. Perhaps they are trying to get her team up and running?
Also from YQ fb:

Update on Paige Drobny of Squid Acres Kennel: the organization sent someone out on snow machine to check on Drobny as she had been sitting for a while. She and her team are fine, just a little bit tired. They are going to camp overnight and decide how they want to proceed in the morning. He has enough food for her and her team. We know she'd appreciate all the messages of concern we received during this time about her and the team's well-being.

Ed Hopkins is three miles from Braeburn and that long rest.

I'm really impressed of Lauras run :)

Allen is down on the lake, cruising along at 7mph. With 54 miles to go to Whitehorse, I guess he will use 7-8 hours (no need to push in his situation), that should put him in Whitehorse around sunrise :) That would be 8-9 PST (Sun rises in Whitehorse at 08:45). I think 8 PST is 9 mountain time and 11 eastern time.
mira

Postby elsietee » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:56 am

Glad to hear this (I've been obsessively refreshing her and Tim's tracker for the last 45 minutes :) ).

I'm glad they checked on her - the longer it went, the more you start to imagine the worst.

I also heard that there's a cabin where she's located, so hopefully she's able to stay warm too.
elsietee

Postby fladogfan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:15 am

Many thanks to you two for keeping the home fires burning and the information flowing.
What a worry when one of the trackers stops and stays in one area. I guess YQ learned from Brent's accident not to wait too long to check on mushers. Another example of the YQ family is
elsietee wrote:From Paige's crew:

Squid Acres Kennel
[b]Tim Pappas who is currently going through the Carmacks checkpoint heard and has offered to check on her and bring some extra food and fuel of his in case she needs it. [/b]

I'm glad Tim can bring her extra food - she's going to need it.

They are both still at mile 791.2.

Is my tracker wonky or what. Matt's icon is north of the turn off to Braeburn. It just moved south. Did he go to check on Paige? He is out on the lake.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby fladogfan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:19 am

"That would be 8-9 PST (Sun rises in Whitehorse at 08:45). I think 8 PST is 9 mountain time and 11 eastern time."
And about 5pm Norwegian time, right? Maybe we can meet in chat for Allen :D
fladogfan

Postby fladogfan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:30 am

Laura has left Braeburn, Matt is almost to where his track will meet the trail headed south. It will be a race for second!!
fladogfan

Postby mira » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:43 am

Regarding trail out of Braeburn, both Matt and Allen have taken the same route, so it's where the route is. No need to check on Paige, others can do that.

Laura is 11 miles behind Matt, the leg is long enough for anything might happen..Allen has 32 miles to go to Dawson, Matt 62 miles.

Yes, it looks like 5pm (or 17 as we use) my local time. That's one of the worse times for me, middle of dinner preparation and home work and you-know-what. But I will try to check the progress and pop into chat whenever I got an opportunity.
mira

Postby fladogfan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:16 am

The 5/17 o'clock hour is a hard one with family and little ones, we know you will check in as you can.

Matt is only about 9 miles ahead now.
I didn't know about the trail turning north, I should have had the team points button clicked, saved me some worry.
fladogfan

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk