Yukon Quest, discussion

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Yukon Quest, discussion

Postby JeanieB » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:59 pm

Looks like Joannna is quite far ahead of Ben, and barring misfortune (which can easily happen on Birch Creek) we may have a female 300 winner! And Paige and Laura are right up there racing! Wow, fun to watch.

I sympathize with all of you who have lost FM or TTP's to scratches. I had Mike E. in my fantasy team, so through my other 4 are booking on down the trail with full teams, I'm out of the top 50 forever......

Love it that Dave Dalton stopped to dry his clothes at the laundry out of 2 Rivers! Hilarious story.....but .....why not! ?
"When women reach a certain age, they begin to collect dogs. This is known as "Many - Paws""
JeanieB

Postby Eggs » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:52 pm

This is a new one for the books. Swigging methanol. :oops:
https://www.facebook.com/huskyhomestead ... 0250042338

Ellen King update:
 Mushing sure has its ups and downs, and Ellen is in the middle of that roller coaster right now. We were able to chat with her a while ago and get the skinny on what occurred that caused her to scratch from the #YQ300...

Ellen and her team really had an incredible run from Mile 101, up and over Rosebud Summit (elevation 3,640 feet), and then up and over Eagle Summit (elevation 3,685 feet)! Eagle Summit is widely considered the hardest stretch during the 1,000-mile journey from Fairbanks to Whitehorse, Yukon.

Once arriving into Central, Ellen had 6 hours of mandatory rest that were required there before the team could head up Birch Creek to the checkpoint of Circle. Ellen's plan was to tack on another 2 hours rest, and take a solid 8 hours before hitting the trail again.

Ellen awoke from her nap, began her chores and prepping to leave. The trail between Central and Birch creek is known for being VERY cold, and she wanted to take a nice hot meal for the dogs that she would feed on her way to Circle. Ellen couldn't locate the container that she had been using to store/carry her fuel in, so she opted to use an empty water bottle for it. (The Quest provides fuel to the mushers at the checkpoints in mass quantities - typically a large barrel with a spout.) She returned to her sled, ready to begin packing everything - and she set down that water bottle of fuel. Some time thereafter, she mistakenly took a swig out of the wrong bottle - the one filled with methanol.

After quick discussions with the wonderful Yukon Quest veterinarians and communications staff, it was decided that it was in her best interest to head back to Fairbanks to seek immediate medical attention.

Please know that Ellen is alright! She is awaiting one more test this afternoon, and if that comes back ok then we anticipate a discharge later today.

While she may have a bruised ego and is undoubtedly disappointed that she was unable to finish her race, she remains in her natural good spirits and continues to rave about her wonderful team of dogs. "I had a seriously kick ass run! Lightning and Twister led us up and over Eagle Summit!" Lightning and Twister are siblings out of Momma Zig, and are just 1.5 years old!

Ellen and the Husky Homestead team are thankful for all of the inquiries and concern for her and her team. The dogs are doing well and will head back home to Denali as soon as we get the all clear from Ellen's doctors.
Eggs

Postby flowerpower » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:57 pm

Just saw that! How scary. Glad she is OK. :shock: :shock: :?
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby Moose » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:59 pm

Holy cow! I wondered what had happened to her Ellen. And I'm so sorry to read about Katherine Keith. That's a tough injury. What a heartache for Mike and his team.

Just remembered, and confirmed, that Katherine was one of my Fantasy Quest picks. Sad for her. . .and for me. :roll: Mostly for her.
Last edited by Moose on Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby elsietee » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:03 pm

Well gah - of all the dumb luck (Ellen).

Years ago I'd done the same thing on a 100 miler - I had some alcohol in my crew box - decanted into water bottles - in case I needed help cooling the horse at one of the checks. After thinking about it for a while, I wrote "ALCOHOL" all over those bottles with a sharpie. Despite that, one of my (not very attentive) crew people still tried to feed me the "ALCOHOL" water bottles. :)

I did wonder what had happened, since the previous online comment was "all is well, she's doing great and taking a nap"... then she scratched mere hours later.

As for Mike Ellis - did that virus affect all those others on the YQ300? seems like a lot of scratches. Such a bummer for him.

And major bummer for Katherine. She was going to do great this year. :(

Looks like they (flew?) her tracker with someone to Eagle. Maybe to have as a spare in case someone loses theirs?
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby Eggs » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:44 pm

I've also done the same with rubbing alcohol by mistake but at least I spewed it before it went down. Still....

Sab has done some armchair mushing today:
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 4840738384
Eggs

Postby elsietee » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:11 pm

I did some quick calculations as to how long it took the first four mushers into Slavens Cabin, enroute from Circle (~55 miles):

Allen Moore - 7 hours 5 mins (arrived at ~2:15 pm)
Paige Drobny - 7 hours 10 mins (arrived at ~3:50 pm)
Laura Neese - 7 hours 40 mins (arrived at ~5:20 pm [hard to tell exactly, since her and Matt's trackers were moving around])
Matt Hall - 8 hours (maybe) 10 mins (arrived at ~5:10/20? pm).
Ed Hopkins - 8 hours 5 mins (arrived at 7:20 pm)

Allen and Paige both rested for ~5 hours in Circle. Matt was there for ~6.5. Laura rested for just over 5 hours. Ed rested 6 hours in Circle.

Given their rests, the times above are fairly indicative as to where they *really* are in the field (no leapfrogging going on) and how fast they are travelling along the trail.

Allen and Matt are no particular surprises, but Paige and Laura are holding their own! Go them!

[Edited to add Ed Hopkins' times]
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:43 pm

Ike Underwood and Mark Stamm have scratched.:( (I thought Mark might, since he was travelling so much slower than the rest of the pack).

"Monday, February 5, 2018
This afternoon at approximately 2pm AKST, the Yukon Quest received notification that bib #22, Ike Underwood, requested assistance by activating his race-tracking device. The organization coordinated with its Alaskan trailbreaking crew and a team was sent to Underwood’s location, roughly 23 miles from the Circle checkpoint, to assess the situation.

Underwood and his dogs were found to be in good health, but the rookie from Aniak, AK decided to scratch for his own safety and that of his team.

Underwood and his team were subsequently transported to the Circle checkpoint.

At 4pm AKST veteran musher Mark Stamm (bib #25) from Riverside, WA scratched form the race at the Central, Alaska checkpoint. His decision was made for the health and well-being of his team."

Christine Roaloffs is our red lantern.
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:45 pm

And things don't look right for Ryne Olson either - she left Circle, but appears to have returned:

Ryne_Circle.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
elsietee

Postby libby the lab » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:16 pm

Yup Ryne has now scratched. I've already lost two of my mushers in fantasy mushing :(
Cindy, Anna Banana and Link-de
RIP Libby and Hank

http://www.dockdogs.com
http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org
libby the lab

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk