Yukon Quest, discussion

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Yukon Quest, discussion

Postby Heidi » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:40 pm

Ugh.

Lost Katherine out of my TFP (but not Fantasy Mushing).

Lost Ryne Olson out of Fantasy Mushing (but not TFP).
Heidi

Postby mira » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:35 pm

Oh no.. I thought it was great with a bigger field thisnyearn(compared to last year), but that is many scratches in short time :o

And at least two accidents.
mira

Postby emwcee » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:29 am

Go, Paige, go!!! Hoping for a woman winner this year (and she's my top pick)
emwcee

Postby flowerpower » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:26 am

Another one bites the dust. :cry:

This morning at 9:15am AKST rookie musher Christine Roalofs (bib #4) from Anchorage, Alaska scratched form the race at Circle, Alaska. She made this decision out of concern of her ability to care for her team due to personal injury
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby mira » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:56 pm

Yet another injury :(

I'm impressed by Laura! I didn't expect her to be so close to the front... and of course Paige, she did great last year too.

Allen is currently resting in Eagle Village.
mira

Postby elsietee » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:58 pm

Well bum. She had such a good attitude. The trail sure is rough on people.

(I saw the attached map before I saw Mira's comment).

Christine_Roalofs_Circle.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:36 pm

That stretch of trail between Trout Creek Hosp. and Eagle must be really nice trail - every time I look, Paige is flying along at 9+ mph.

But looking at their corresponding tracks. Allen now has a 3 hour 40 min lead on her.
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:11 pm

Paige is now into Eagle, so I ran some very rough numbers to see how her race and Allen's compared.

Route: Slaven's ......Trout Creek......Eagle

It appears that Allen took a shorter rest than normal at Trout creek - he only rested 2 hr 40 mins, compared to Paige's 5 hours.

As a result, his time from Slaven's to Eagle = ~16 hours, while Paige's was closer to ~18 hours.

But it appears Paige made the run between Trout Creek and Eagle about 20 minutes faster than him. So although he's gaining time from cutting rest, she's gaining a bit back by travelling faster.

And the good part is, she may realise he cut his rest at Trout (although I doubt there's a sign-in sheet there, so she won't know exactly when he arrived) and therefore know that any time he's gained was from cutting rest, not from travelling faster.

... or she may just be running her dogs and have no idea what Allen's doing :)

From Eagle, they should make the jump to Dawson in two legs. It'll be interesting to see what they both do, rest-wise, given that they've got a nice long rest coming up at Dawson.
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:53 pm

It pays off to be local - this report from Matt Hall's kennel FB page:

"*Trailside News*

Allen has checked into Eagle and brings news from the trail. Matt has frost bitten his fingers from last nights extreme subzero temps and howling winds along the river. They're white and blistering, BUT they are not black! So that is reassuring news. His mom, Scarlett, reports back that he'll be able to continue on and bootie the team, but Allen says he's going to be hurting later. We know that Matt is an incredibly pain tolerant individual and we have no doubt he will persevere! His mom is sure to keep us updated once he rolls into Eagle.

Matt and the team are up and moving out of Trout Creek after a nice 4-hour rest. He left in 3rd place and has only 23-miles to go! He's sure to be perking up thinking about mushing into his hometown and being greeted by what is typically a big crowd of friends and family!..." "

and from another report from locals along the trail:

"*Trailside News*

Matt and the team are entering into his old stomping grounds and are being greeted by dear family friends along the way! Ruby & Nate Becker are located on the Northeast bank of the Yukon River across from Wood Island, roughly 32 river miles from Eagle. The mushing family of 5 have been handing out brownies to mushers on the Quest trail for quite some time and mushers look forward to the little pitstop along the Yukon.

This year Ruby and the kids made sure to run down and cheer Matt on as he stopped and snacked the dogs and grabbed a delicious butterscotch brownie to snack himself! He was able to see all the signs the Becker's made for him and he was smiling from ear to ear. Ruby said the dogs all looked "awesome, with wagging tails and scarfing down food." It sounds like Matt's not letting his hands get him down! Ruby said she didn't even know about the conditions his hands were in and wasn't surprised he was still dawning a big smile, "We all know that indomitable spirit!" Sounds like the dogs are on fire!

15 miles to go!"

Matt appears to have gained a little over and hour from Laura Neese.
elsietee

Postby fladogfan » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:48 pm

So good to 'see' you and read your posts elsietee :D

Neat to learn these tidbits about mushers.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk