Iditarod 2018 discussion

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Iditarod 2018 discussion

Postby mira » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:27 pm

elsietee, you are (as always) doing an extraordinary good job of transcribing all those videos, it's really great and a lot of work! Thank you so much!
mira

Postby braider » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:46 pm

elsietee, yes, your transcribing is much appreciated - thanks much
braider

Location: Bemidji, Minnesota - the first city on the Mississippi River

Postby libby the lab » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:39 pm

https://www.facebook.com/ktva11/videos/ ... live_video

DeeDee analyzing the race from Nome!
Cindy, Anna Banana and Link-de
RIP Libby and Hank

http://www.dockdogs.com
http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org
libby the lab

Postby elsietee » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:00 pm

Putting these here, for fear of them getting lost if I file them under Grayling - Kaltag:

Kelly Maixner "on the trail". I'm not sure where this was filmed - probably on the Yukon?

Doing Ok, my dogs are a little bit tired, but I think everybody's are. All the teams that have gone by me when I've camped, have looked tired, they all look like they're on the coast instead of the river, 'cos it's just been a lot of work for everybody. So much snow - a ton of snow. With all that fresh new snow we got to work through it. Then snowmachines come through and soften it up for us, so it's been a lot of work.

I'm doing good. I feel surprisingly well rested. Not completely sleep deprived.

Matt Failor's Hell Hound:

Hell-hound.JPG

This is... his name is Hell Hound and when he was a puppy, I could only identify him by this little dot on his ear. He's been described as the largest dog in the ID - that was Hugh Neff said he's the biggest dog in the ID. He's probably close to 80 lbs and he's 2.5 years old. He just finished the Quest. He finished ID last year in wheel, and now he's learning how to lead. He's in the back part of the team today, but he can run anywhere.

He's the man! He's just a big fluff-butt, a big furry guy.

Matt Hall:

Has dropped his main leader [assume Anchor] who'd done all four of his YQs, so that was a bummer losing him, but everybody's doing great, they've stepped it up, so we're cruising along here. It's pretty fun. Nice to see some new trail. ...most of it I'm seeing at night.

It's busy - there's so many teams out here. In the last few minutes, being here and getting the team ready to go, a team *hasn't* gone by is probably the longest they've gone in the race - wow, a half hour without seeing another competitor. It's non-stop team after team, which is really fun, it keeps you on your game, on your toes, alert and focused.

Aliy in Unk:

We're going to use different verbiage, OK? Let's say ... three dogs are being benched from the team, due to circumstances that were out of our control. Two of them [Junior and Scooby] stepped in deep snow and had a little bit of a sprained wrist. And then while we were here, the third dog just wasn't feeling right. He didn't eat the food like the rest of the dogs, and I called the head vet over and asked him to look at him closely. I turned out he has a fever, they're not really sure why, so they brought him inside and kind of doing some triage on him.

So, it's good to have vets on the course. They're going to send me updates along the trail, but hopefully he's doing fine. His name is Champ.

From the SP Kennel Blog:

Goodness, it looks like it was pretty brutal out there. A ground storm hit the leading pack on their way from Shaktoolik and Koyuk which slowed the teams down, made the trail difficult to find and seemingly made for challenging mushing.
I also noticed some were travelling in pairs; never a silly idea along this stretch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:20 pm

Here's a tracker-snap of the whole field nearly, as Joar and Nic are leaving Koyuk. There's a veritable parade headed over from Shak onto the ice. The track I've left turned on (turquoise line) is Nic's off-trail detour, right by #8
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby Eggs » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:29 pm

Good to see Ramey moving up to where he belongs.
Eggs

Previous

Return to Mushing Talk