Iditarod 2018 discussion

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Iditarod 2018 discussion

Postby braider » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:49 am

Having left Ophir, Joar is making my 'furthest to 24' look pretty good. :)

1) Joar
2) Iditarod
3) March 8 @ 6:00:00 AM
braider

Location: Bemidji, Minnesota - the first city on the Mississippi River

Postby DianneF » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:03 am

I'm thinking Ramey Smyth either lost his tracker or it isn't working. The standings have him in 14th in Takotna while the gps says he's in last, resting just after Rohn.
DianneF

Postby Luna » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:13 am

braider wrote:Having left Ophir, Joar is making my 'furthest to 24' look pretty good. :)

1) Joar
2) Iditarod

more than good braider. No one can beat you :D
Luna

Postby Luna » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:18 am

Luna wrote:
braider wrote:Having left Ophir, Joar is making my 'furthest to 24' look pretty good. :)

1) Joar
2) Iditarod

more than good braider. No one can beat you :D

In order not to jinx Joar by congratulating you to early, there is the possibility that he run in to problems and returns to Ophir and take his mandatory there, and a musher from the back moves on to Iditarod. Lets not hope that will happend (knock on wood)
Luna

Postby braider » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:48 am

I don't think this 'furthest to 24' is over yet. I haven't looked at all the picks, but, Buser just left McGrath after just over 5 hours rest - seems like he wouldn't do that just to get to Takotna. Hugh just left Takotna - socalsdrfan picked him. "It aint over until it's over"
braider

Postby mira » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:59 am

Sure, but I doubt anyone will go further than Iditarod. Time will tell.

I think Joar is looking good, although I haven't calculated the times yet. But the weather can be significant, if Joar has a decent run to Iditarod and he will be resting while the other gets fresh snow on trail.
mira

Postby dashdel » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:05 am

Big Gamble for Joar... Snowing and wind are a factor on this run... As well breaking trial!! yowza!

And he has now stopped...
dashdel

Postby Eggs » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:18 am

Well heck, I don't know how I missed your (Mira and dashdel) posts. I had just checked for updates but anyway, now edited: Emailing this morning with a friend who is a vet on the race - we were talking about weather conditions. Today might get above freezing (forecast 32º F) - wet dogs, deep snow. Joar knows what he's doing (thankfully he's been on that stretch before) and his speed looks decent, but I too am guessing it's going to be a long slog.
Trail description of that stretch:
Leaving Ophir, the trail runs west down the Innoko River valley for five miles and then heads southwest toward Beaver Mountain Pass, slowly climbing through black spruce for ten miles. It breaks out above timberline briefly to cross the pass (actually a gentle, wide-open saddle) and then drops back into the tree line to cross a couple of creeks. Then it heads back up across Beaver Flats, a barren rolling upland flanking the Beaver Mountains, an isolated range of 4,000-foot mountains prominently visible five miles southeast of the trail.
My 50% Norwegian blood is pumping hard this morning: )
Eggs

Postby mira » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:35 am

That doesn't sound too good. He need to stop, can't run Takotna to Iditarod in one go. Anyway, it makes it more interesting when someone does a move.

Last time he was down southern route he got ROTY.
mira

Postby braider » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:00 am

Jeff King just left McGrath after 5h35m of rest. I think that means he's going past Takotna, too? And, I wonder if he'll do his 24 in Ophir?
braider

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk