Norwegian races, Finnmarksløpet

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Norwegian races, Finnmarksløpet

Postby mira » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:06 am

Harald Tunheim won the short version (500km == 310 miles). He has earlier won the FL1000 in 1996, 1997, 1998, 2006, 2008. He has at least one other team in 500 (hmm.. no, two I think) and had one in junior. He ran Iditarod in 1999, 2000 and 2002. He was ROTY in 1999 (the next rookie were Ken Anderson ;) )

Hah, looked at https://www.facebook.com/finnmarkslopet/videos/vb.310149018455/10155286329433456/?type=3&theater and got to see Sinde Valan finish FL500 :D
mira

Postby Moose » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:21 am

Nina, the announcer, is great. Very positive and upbeat. She mentioned she's not racing because of health reasons. Hope it's nothing serious. Fdf, I expected to see Dallas's dogs dive into their meal, was surprised when they didn't seem at all excited. I didn't notice if he snacked them upon arrival. Maybe so.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby Heidi » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:18 am

I'm not caught up on the latest today and it's already noon. :?

Anyone know why Dallas had to drop 3 dogs at the same cp? And he's not going quite as fast; I wonder what's going on.

I hope my fav, Ralph Johannessen, can move up.

I just realized Thomas and Birgitte are married. Wow, racing together for most of the race so far and doing so well! :shock:

Is it normal for there to be 8 scratched mushers at this point in the race? Is this year different because of illness among the mushers or...?
Heidi

Postby mira » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:11 am

At least two mushers are out due to illness, that is perhaps, a bit unusual. But I think, in general, the number of scratches is higher in finnmarksløpet than Iditarod.

Regarding Dallas, I don't know, haven't had time to check. But I know Thomas had problems during his first iditarod because the kibble in US is a bit different than the Norwegian (different amounts of fat and protein and carbs). Could be something like that?

Edit, they start with 14 dogs and down to 11 halfway isn't extraordinary. Birgitte is down to 10. The trail into Neiden (where Dallas took 16) was harder than expected.
mira

Postby mira » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:11 am

At least two mushers are out due to illness, that is perhaps, a bit unusual. But I think, in general, the number of scratches is higher in finnmarksløpet than Iditarod.

Regarding Dallas, I don't know, haven't had time to check. But I know Thomas had problems during his first iditarod because the kibble in US is a bit different than the Norwegian (different amounts of fat and protein and carbs). Could be something like that?
mira

Postby mira » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:01 pm

Dallas was first into checkpoint Kirkenes, with 11 "great looking dogs" according to the commentary.
mira

Postby Alphashe » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:18 pm

Heidi wrote:I just realized Thomas and Birgitte are married. Wow, racing together for most of the race so far and doing so well! :shock:

Well. They used to be. But not any more. Divorced back in 2015.
Alphashe

Postby mira » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:28 pm

Dallas saying he is rebuilding his team, that he should have taken the long rest on the checkpoint before. Well.. He is rebuilding the team, as the leader :lol:

Dallas took the wrong trail, but he noticed very fast,so it wasn't for long.

Also they had a nice interview with some musher from London, doing 500
mira

Postby Heidi » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:41 pm

Alphashe wrote:
Heidi wrote:I just realized Thomas and Birgitte are married. Wow, racing together for most of the race so far and doing so well! :shock:

Well. They used to be. But not any more. Divorced back in 2015.

Oops. :oops: :?
Heidi

Postby Heidi » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:44 pm

mira wrote:Dallas saying he is rebuilding his team, that he should have taken the long rest on the checkpoint before. Well.. He is rebuilding the team, as the leader :lol:

Dallas took the wrong trail, but he noticed very fast,so it wasn't for long.

Also they had a nice interview with some musher from London, doing 500

I saw him come into Kirkenes. So that was the main issue (not taking his 16 at an earlier CP). Looking good now.

Ralph's in 10th. Go Ralph!
Last edited by Heidi on Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heidi

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk