I'rod bike race?!

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: I'rod bike race?!

Postby Deerskin and Anja » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:54 pm

i wasn't anything close to that kind of mileage, my best was a fast 7 miles/day, along with about the same in running/walking on a dirt track to build my lungs/endurance for ice skating. i wasn't a competitor in the usual sense, but a 'test skater', competing against the standards. did that for years, though i wasn't very good at it, i loved it.

what sort of bike do you have? mine was a peugeot mixti frame, that had been in a wreck prior to my getting it, so the headtube was bent in a little. no one could ride it but me, because if you didn't know the trick, you would wind up hitting your toes on the front wheel! but it was fast, and trappy, and i loved that bike,
Deerskin and Anja
my service dog
Deerskin and Anja

Postby Heidi » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:03 am

It's a Trek road bike that needs to start getting used again. :)
Heidi

Postby tanglefoot » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:12 am

i ve taught and worked as a mountian bike guide here in the uk for..um...jeez 20 years! omg! haha didnt realise it was that long....some awesome trails up innorth wales, gentler but beautiful trails in the wye valley, stonking great hills in scotland,,,before that i was a sponsored bmx rider (alder surfwear) many moons ago.
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby bourgeois_rage » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:32 am

Great links John. I'd love to see some of those freight bikes.
My status
bourgeois_rage

Skype ID: bourgect

Postby carolynh » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:41 am

Here's a link http://arcticglass.blogspot.comto a regular Alaska blog where the writer biked the I'rod bike race for the first time this year. Scroll down to the March 2 entry and start reading. It's a pretty extreme story. But great reading!

Carolyn H.
carolynh

Postby Deerskin and Anja » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:48 am

oh, man! are those bikes phat or what?! our 16 year old is in love! what are those?
Deerskin and Anja
my service dog
Deerskin and Anja

Previous

Return to Mushing Talk