Welcome to 2018 Iditabud Fans-sign in here

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Welcome to 2018 Iditabud Fans-sign in here

Postby fladogfan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:57 pm

WELCOME

If you so desire please sign in here for the race. Of course you do not need to do this to enjoy this forum and follow the race.

I'm fladogfan aka Gretchen living in Florida where the temps have been in the 80s last few days....yuck. Looking forward to cold weather even if it's only through the computer.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Re: Welcome to 2018 Iditabud Fans-sign in here

Postby Another UK Fan » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:32 am

Checking in. Another UK Fan here aka Christina.

Looking forward to following the race with the 'buds in the forum AND from Anchorage too where I'm volunteering. Will post as I can.

Seven inches of snow fell in Anchorage a few days ago . . . ;) :)
Another UK Fan

Postby txbennett » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:55 am

TXbennett here in Round Rock Texas (aka Bennett) cold (35 degrees) and wet (rain) here on Feb 23.
txbennett

Postby Alphashe » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:01 pm

Hi guys, Anki checking in from Bybrua/Norway. Winter is just great, - 8 celsius / 17 F, and a lot of snow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alphashe

Postby Heidi » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:08 pm

Another Texan checking in... 8-) It's a cool 62F/17C here but was colder the last few days.

Holy smokes, Alphashe! :o
Heidi

Postby frizzell66 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:54 am

Frizzell66 here. Checking in from Florida, but in a new location this year. Don't remember if I shared much while it was happening last year, but I spent the first part of last year's Iditarod in the hospital with a pulmonary embolis. Talk about painful! Anyway, in the aftermath of that incident, my wife and I decided to move on from the school we were teaching at in West Palm Beach and move back to be closer to family in Tallahassee, Florida. Lived with my parents for a few months ( :roll: ) while our house down south sold and we found a place to live up here. We are now on 8 acres just southwest of Monticello, Florida, where we had freezing temperatures back in December and January (and even one morning of a few minutes of snow) but are now at a balmy 80 degrees - everything's growing all of a sudden!

Other biggest change will be following the Iditarod alone this year - no school kiddo's to bring along with me. Almost glad for that given the drama surrounding Dallas and all. Wouldn't have enjoyed explaining that to the kids.

Glad to be back here this year!

John
frizzell66

Postby txbennett » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:50 am

Wow John, my Pulmonary Embolism was in 2015 and it too was very painful -- I think they all are. I have not learned to love blood thinners, but thankfully I am literally learning to live with them.

Let's enjoy this racing season with less drama. Leave that element to the racers and the ITC.

TXbennett
txbennett

Postby JeanieB » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:03 pm

Hi Iditabuds! JeanieB, AKA Lois signing in for the race. I am on FB a lot more than here throughout the year, but love this site in the winter, and all of you guys year round. Here in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, it has been unseasonably warm, and we have had less than 5 inches of snow all winter......rain all day today.

Hey, what is it with the pulmonary embolisms? My DH had one about 4 years ago......only time in his 70+ years he ASKED to go to the hospital in the middle of the night! We are lucky we still have all 3 of you with us. He is now free of blood thinners.....no meds whatsoever and very healthy.

Mush on!
"When women reach a certain age, they begin to collect dogs. This is known as "Many - Paws""
JeanieB

Postby sc-race-fan » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:46 am

Sc-race-fan, AKA Brent, checking in. Still using my SC handle even after moving to NC a few years ago; not big fan of change! The grandkids triplet litter has grown (pic is Poluck party in the Breakers bar and grill thread) and are big enough to pull a sled if I could just get them to work together! It was 80 here two days ago, now cool and rainy! Did get a little "redneck" tan Saturday while working on the dock.
Proud PaPa of the triplet litter; Aidan (B), Bailey (G), and Cameron (B). Cameron is on top in picture; Bailey, of course, is the bowhead!!
sc-race-fan

Location: formerly Columbia, South Carolina, now residing in Mooresville, North Carolina

Postby Moose » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:12 am

Moose here, along with Hawkeye LaRoo and the little Amigo, checking in from the foothills west of Sebago Lake, Maine. Most of you already know that I lost Bullwinkle last May. He wasn't a part of the forum, but he knew many of you by your forum handles and a few others he got to spend time with personally. It's been difficult, especially during the unusually long and unusually cold spell in January and into February, but the days are getting longer and a bit warmer and it appears the sap is running in the maples. All sure signs that spring is moving northward day by day, lifting my spirits as well as the forecast! The Quest was the first race I've followed this season. Congrats to SPK! Always my fave race and a favorite team. But now attention turns to I'rod--and don't forget Maine's own Can-Am Crown International Sled Dog Races (link below) and Finnmarkslopet as well. I love following the teams that have crossed the pond in a westward direction and kudos to Dallas for reversing the trend this year. So, mush on with your bad selves, 'buds. We've got trails yet to run and miles yet to travel! Hike, hike!

https://can-am-crown.net/
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Next

Return to Mushing Talk