Where's Molly Yazwinski?

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Where's Molly Yazwinski?

Postby Heidi » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:05 am

If you look at the stats you can see that Molly Yazwinski arrived Kaltag on 3/10 (Monday) at 1:09 pm with 11 dogs. She left Kaltag the same day at 9:01 pm with 10 dogs.

It is now 52 hours later and she's still not in Unk! Where is she???

I hope this information is reliable, but I read in the other forum that she had to return to Kaltag, but I have no idea why. I also noticed her speed was REALLY slow from Nulato to Kaltag (2.21 mph) so obviously something's not right. All the racers behind her have caught up and have left Kaltag for Unk. I noticed their speeds from Nulato to Kaltag ranged from 5.83 to 9.10 mph. Perhaps she's sick or her dogs are.

I wonder if she's still in Kaltag or left for Unk again.

I've been rooting her on because she's been a handler for Butcher/Monson for the last 3 years and is running their dogs.

Mollyyyyyy, where are you???
Heidi

Re: Where's Molly Yazwinski?

Postby Heidi » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:41 am

I just called Iditarod Headquarters and they have no idea where Molly is and said others had been calling too. The guy also said that her returning to Kaltag is just someone's story and not fact. :shock: So, then, where the heck is she??? I know Old Woman's Cabin is 35 miles before Unalakleet and I thought she might be hanging out there, but as biggie said in another thread, "For 2 days??"

If anyone else wants to try calling, here's the number:

Race Headquarters
Phone Room: (907) 248-MUSH (6874)
Heidi

Postby ldyharley » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:29 am

BUMP up, Where is she??
ldyharley

Postby zoocj » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:54 am

I've been wondering the same thing. Checking Unalakleet camera for unusual activity but nothing special. A couple of the dog teams are up and playing, a few folks up and around. Maybe vet checking too. Hope Molly's ok.
zoocj

Postby aren » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:02 am

THis is indeed strange. Does anyone know if any of the other musherst hat left Kaltag after her, have seen her or have any news about her????

Has anyone checked with Johncn if he or any of the BSSD team have any news?????
aren

BSSD team, you rock !!
aren

Postby Heidi » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:05 am

I just called again and it turns out the story that she returned to Kaltag IS TRUE. But she is now back out on the trail to Unalakleet. She might be traveling with the last 2 mushers, or at least I hope she is. Race Headquarters had no other information about why she returned, but they did say she's fine. I'm very relieved. :D
Heidi

Postby jonnybegood » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:08 am

On the othe forum they have her returning to Kaltag and droping a dog then back out of Kaltag 3/12 at 15:30. She should be traveling with the others. JBG
jonnybegood

Postby Heidi » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:13 am

I should have checked my email earlier. John emailed me and said that Rick Holt mentioned something about her having to turn back but she should still be to Unalakleet by now. John's going to check things out at the checkpoint.

Even turning back, it has been a LONG time since she left Kaltag the first time (Monday at 9 pm). Strange. I'm relieved that there's a reason, but I'll feel better when she shows up in Unk. :)
Heidi

Postby aren » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:14 am

Sounds like good news. Hope there is nothing wrong now, that would prevent her from continuing all the way to Nome :)
aren

BSSD team, you rock !!
aren

Postby Heidi » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:23 am

The live stream is on right now...check it out! I just caught the tail end of them talking about Molly. Apparently her dogs might have quit on her and she had to walk back. I think that's speculation I'm not sure.
Heidi

Next

Return to Mushing Talk